Just found out I'm pregnant again

Options
2»

Replies

• sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am currently 24 weeks I continuied eating at 1500 cal or first trimester, dr approved. I continued exercising to the best of my ability, I was running stairs, I continued to do what I could through first trimester, sometimes it was 20 min somtimes more (was running at 45 min ish). After first trimester ended I got energy back and started doing full sets again, I still am contuning and running also. I am in second trimester and eating 1700 cal and eating back some calories (I think the calorie count is to high here so I usually do 1/2 back but if I am really hungry then I have no problem eating more, I am not absloutly ridgid on cal if I am hungry not just bored or wht ever then I will eat).
    I lost 10 lbs during first trimester and have only recently started gaining that back I have gained 4 lbs of that back. I was 174 when I found out I was pregnant. I did not give into temptation or cravings (or i found a healthy alternative). There are pregnancy boards on here to join for extra support, I am on fit fablous and pregnant, find some friends keep acountable.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Congrats.I was encouraged to walk while pregnant. I didn't gain much with any of my pregnancies which was good cuz I was overweight with all of them. Everything turned out fine. I was actually lighter after delivery with all of them than before I got pregnant. Too bad I didn't continue with the trend, but anyway. It's entirely possible to lose a little (I wasn't trying to lose at all, I just felt sick a lot), but the doc said it's ok so I wasn't worried. Definitely have that talk with your doctor if it is ok to gain just a little, or no weight, or even lose a little. I am sure that isn't your focus, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be losing weight during your pregnancy. You can certainly still exercise, though.

Please discuss this with your doctor.
  • peniculala
    peniculala Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how overweight you are. When I got pregnant, they said that I shouldn't gain any weight at all. I wasn't able to do that, but I didn't have the motivation that I now have. Pay attention to whatever your doctor says and if you don't agree, get a second opinion. But, I don't recommend taking the advice of anyone else too seriously.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Lots of people encourage gentle exercise while pregnant. That's a good thing. You need to watch your hearr rate more than usual, if I remember correctly.

(also, anecdotally? The people I know who exercised hard during pregancy had babies who needed constant mostion to sleep after theiy were born. They got used to being jostled up and down a lot prenatally. Don't know if its a real phenomenon, but just saying it could happen.

Now, as for dieting? Some people will say their doctors told them to keep dieting, or to plan to not gain any weight. Not gaining weight during the first trimester makes some sense, but after that you do need to gain at least the weight of the baby, placenta, and your increased blood volume.

I've read that there can be concerns if you are burning fat stores during preganncy, because burning fat lets loose any environmental contanimants that were stored with the fat. Dioxins, PBB -- any of the stuff you've been exposed to has been stored in fat cells, and releasing it during pregnancy will cause it to be stored in your baby.

I was overweight when I got pregnant, and my doc/midwives just strressed gaining at the low end of the expected range. I'm really tall, and I had large babiies
  • mkdanhoff
    mkdanhoff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just a note to say congrats. It's my understanding that if you are already on an exercise plan, it's okay to continue. I think the main thing you want to consider is staying active and eating a healthy, balanced diet to grow a healthy baby. I was 183 before getting pregnant with all 3 of my babies (I always dropped the weight each time), after my 3rd when she was 5 months old I was actually down to 170 and feeling great because of breastfeeding. Breastfeeding does use calories, so keep that in mind...it also helps baby learn how to regulate his/her own intake and reduces risk of childhood obesity and diabetes. Apart from that, I see pregnant ladies at the Y all the time working out. I really think the post partum weight gain has a lot more to do with lifestyle change than anything else. My local YMCA offers 2 hours of free childcare while you work out. I wish I'd known about this sooner! Best of luck. P.S. baby doesn't need a bottle if you're only away for 2 hours... just bf before & after.
  • mkdanhoff
    mkdanhoff Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and my local Y has a prenatal swimming group exercise class...I sound like I'm selling memberships to the Y or something. I'm not, I promise! I just wish I had known about it sooner! My babies are 6,5, and 2 now. Good luck!
  • KWake1
    KWake1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Walk. Walk walk walk walk walk. You'll thank me for this advice in the delivery room.
    Also, Yoga. Get the prenatal yoga DVD's, go to a class etc. Again, don't just think of weight loss, that's also for the delivery room.
    How far into C25K are you? If you're already rocking week eight, keep at it. You're used to the activity so there's no reason to stop. A friend of mine just ran a half marathon at 31 weeks pregnant. But she's a regular runner. I certainly wouldn't start 10K training, but if you're good with 5K, don't stop.
    If you are already quite a bit overweight, odds are you won't gain the "recomended 20 - 30lbs". You might end up just maintaining this weight and getting a pleaseant surprise in nine months. I wouldn't worry too much about the number on the scale right now, especially in the first trimester. As long as it's not going up right now you're fine. There's no need to gain weight (normally) until the mid point. I mean really, how many calories does a grape need?
    Always remember, you are NOT eating for two. You are eating for ONE who is pregnant. There's a difference.
    And yes, if you are VERY overweight (as determined by you and your dr.) it is still possible and even OK to lose weight while pregnant. As long as you have enough calories coming in to nuture the baby, you're fine. If it ever reaches a point where you're not meeting baby's needs then you have a problem.

PS: I lost 10lbs in my first trimester. Loss of appetite, nausea, etc all caught up to me. And only gained 20 after that. So a total gain of 10lbs - my pregnancy was delightful, my delivery was easy, and my baby was remarkably healthy. And I was not overweight to start. It really all comes down to your, and your baby's, unique needs.

PPS: Of course I am not a dr, nor am I pretending to be one. Check everything out with him/her, but as long as baby is healthy (obviously that's the priority) there's no reason for you to stop trying to get healthy.
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the pregnancy, and I agree that you should follow the advice of your doctor. Just wanted to add my two cents and say that when I was pregnant with my first child, I swam almost daily. The swimming kept me in good shape, and in those last months when you feel really "big," the feeling of being almost weightless in the water is wonderful! It was a great workout, and it was really easy on my body. Good luck to you!
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to ask your Doctor what is safe for you and your baby. Everyone is different. I've seen people on bed rest, I've seen people at the gym lifting and doing cardio like normal. It is all dependent upon your health prior to the pregnancy and now.

Congrats by the way!:flowerforyou:
  • soonergirl03
    soonergirl03 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my son 5 years ago I had gestational diabetes so I had to really watch what I ate with carbs and sugar I was losing weight and my doctor said it was fine because it was my fat I was losing and not the baby I only gained 14 pounds I craved fruits with him when I was pregnant with my daughter she is 18 months old I gained 24 pounds much different story with her I craved sweets and I had a much harder time with her my doctor told me I could work out at the gym until I got to uncomfortable or my stomach started getting in the weigh, I was doing weight machines I was put on partial bed rest with her at 5 months so I had to stop the gym, with my son who is almost 5 I didn't go to the gym at that time but I did walk 1 mile everyday. Congrats to you it sounds like this was a unplanned pregnancy but if you watch what you eat and still walk you may not gain that much weight and yes you should not diet while pregnant but just because your pregnant doesn't mean you have to eat a whole bag of chips in a day just eat smart alot of veggies/fruit and water. just remember its just a litlte sit back but a very happy one!!!!
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    im pregnant and in the first few weeks I lost 7lbs now im gaining it back but not fat just baby I am 12 weeks and have gained 2 lbs x you only need 100-200 cals more per day and even if you didn't you will still gain 25-35lbs as baby weight as explained above
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse. I recommend NOT asking for advice here, but instead, doing whatever your doctor suggests. Talk with him/her in depth.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Your dr will have to decide that. For some people, their dr suggests trying to lose weight whilst pregnant but there are a lot of factors that go into it so we can't really say for sure. Whatever happens it will be ok!

ETA: you can do whatever exercises you are used to doing but since you've just started a new fitness routine, your dr might say to wait until after the baby. I'm 26 weeks pregnant and still do p90x and insanity but I was doing them for 9 months prior to getting pregnant.

you doing insanity and P90X while pregnant! YOU ARE AMAZING IN MY BOOK
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse. I recommend NOT asking for advice here, but instead, doing whatever your doctor suggests. Talk with him/her in depth.

As stated in the OP, I will be talking to my doctor later this week but I was curious about others experiences. I wanted to get an idea in place of other experiences of others in a similar boat so I could bring all of that to the table when I talk to my doctor.

I appreciate all the advice and past experiences of everyone here.
  • price_h20
    price_h20 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi candace, i am fairly new to myfitnesspal. But i love it while being pregnant. I have always had to watch what i eat and exercise to stay fit. I have kept off 30 lbs for about 5 years now so the thought of gaining weight was terrifying to me even through it was a different kind of weight from pregnancy. I am 25 weeks pregnant and gained 10 lbs so far. I can not workout to the same intensity but i do walk everyday and lift light weights. I also like the prenatal videosto keep me active. The first trimester i have terrible aversions to all the healthy food i had been eating. But now being in second trimester i have gotten back to clean eating as much as i can. As long as i am active and eating healthy i know i am gaining healthy weight and it is out of my hands. I hope as long as i continue good habits i will be able to loose the weight quickly.