Am I right or wrong?

Options
So, me and my fiancé went out to eat at subway the other day. I usually only get meat on mine but I'm slowly adding more vegetables, one at a time. I had lettuce added and baked Doritos. A family member stated to another; she's on a diet but goes out to eat.

Ok, granted it still has loads of cals even with the 9 wheat bread. BUT we used to go to McDonald's or Burger King 4 or 5 times minimum A WEEK and it wasn't just small burgers it was Double quarter pounders or whoppers with that large fry and coke. I looked at those cals and it made me sick to my stomach. So instead of either of those we go to tumbleweed once every two weeks or subway.

Is that bad of me? I choose sit in restaurants now regardless of cost cause I eat slower compared to eating in the car because I feel like "people are staring" and it gives us quality time together. I chose baked doritos because theyre better then the regular and i wanted chips with my sandwich. If I want "fast food", from my past I learned, I get it because I don't want to cut things I like completely out or else ill fall off the wagon.

So that's my fast food thing... What's your opinion on it? Is the family member right?

I'm not eating as clean as I should but right now I'm focusing on cutting the McDonald's and Burger King and the pop. So far so good but I have a couple weeks to go before I add another goal to the list. One at a time and I have a list of bad habits..

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If the family member was right, I would still be obese, and yet I am wearing size 4 clothes.

Fast food does not make you fat. Too many calories makes you fat. You can eat fast food and still lose weight if you are hitting your calorie goal and not going over your maintenance level.

People cut out fast food because it tends to be high in calories, but that doesn't mean you can't ever have it at all. And calorie wise, Subway is much less than McDonalds for most things. The sub I enjoy (Club with provolone cheese, some veggies, no condiments) is under 400 calories. But at McDonalds the sandwiches I enjoy are all over 500 calories, plus I get fries with them too. The burger and fries will only make me fat if I overeat overall, but you can fit in more volume of food with Subway since it is lower calorie on average.
  • bitterrevenge
    bitterrevenge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat out reguarly, at least 2 or 3 times a week, aslong as it fits into your daily allowances then go ahead.

I don't see the problem myself, I enjoy eating at restaurants and if I gave up eating the food and the places I enjoy I would fall of the wagon very quickly
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    girl --> I read a study that showed how people tend to order more calories at Subway (due to adding extras) than McD.

Personally they are all a NO for me now.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    girl --> I read a study that showed how people tend to order more calories at Subway (due to adding extras) than McD.

That's why I went to their website, saw their nutrition info, and picked out exactly what I wanted before going.

There's no reason to cut anything out of your diet if you plan ahead. It's lack of planning that causes most people who fail to actually fail.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I think you can eat anything you want. Try to make healthy choices and strive to keep them within your marco's. I LOVE food, so I would never exclude things from my menu. I just eat them less often, but still have them when I really want.
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I still consider in the junk food range, but if this approach works for you and gets you to eat more healthy then definitely go for it.
  • KaylaKilgore
    KaylaKilgore Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    That's why Im quitting them. The ones I like the burger alone is 500+ not to mention the fries. So I made alternates that I like better. Subway and tumbleweed and once in the two weeks I have a margarita. It's like an award to myself for the change; since we always said "to broke for tumbleweed" the money we spent on McDonald's and Burger King a week could buy a couple days at tumbleweed. That change makes me happy. I was curious as to whether they were right cause it kind of upset me so I thought I'd ask the MFP buddies! I'm assuming they think quit everything bad and never turn back, not sure! Thanks!
  • KaylaKilgore
    KaylaKilgore Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I see how that could happen.. but I can't cut it completely out or ill stop everything all together. I've tried that before, this is a new thing I'm trying. I done McDonald's/burger king excessively for 4 years. I know it's not the food it's how much I ate of it and how often. My sandwich for 6" sub is currently about 335 calories but I have a better feeling afterwards if that makes sense?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    am I right in thinking your family member is suggesting you cannot be both on a diet and enjoying eating out in a restaurant?

Granted, subway isn't perfect, but as you say yourself it's a step in the right direction, and you are making gradual changes that you can achieve. That's what it should be about - making the changes to YOUR life that YOU can achieve.

In addition, you are spending quality time with your fiance in the restaurant rather than eating in the car (which I don't really understand the concept of unless I am driving long-distance).

good for you - keep going.
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You're not on a diet - its a whole lifestyle change. It annoys me when my family say 'oooh can you eat that - you're on a diet' when I get a cookie or some chocolate etc. I'm NOT on a diet - just easting less food and exercising more, and I'm certainly not going without food I like forever.
    You did the right thing choosing where to eat and what to get. Ignore what others say, if it's working for you eat out :smile:
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    You're not on a diet - its a whole lifestyle change. It annoys me when my family say 'oooh can you eat that - you're on a diet' when I get a cookie or some chocolate etc. I'm NOT on a diet - just easting less food and exercising more, and I'm certainly not going without food I like forever.
    You did the right thing choosing where to eat and what to get. Ignore what others say, if it's working for you eat out :smile:

This!

This is a life style change so it has to be achievable. I don't eat 'clean' but have cut down on junk food and processed foods and work out regularly. If I was to cut absolutely everything out that I enjoyed eating then I would be miserable and what's the point in that? If it fits in with your calorie allowance then I wouldn't worry.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I've had to accept I need a footlong to get to eat enough at Subway, even at my pre-pregnancy weight of 125lb or so.

I eat whatever I like and I like subway :love:

I tend towards a pub burger rather than Mc Ds though because Mc D's leaves me still hungry.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    you know your body best, and you know your goals best. everything within reason. The point i think you are trying to make is that you ARE making healthier choices compared to what you used to. It's a great start - dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Healthy eating is not an all or nothing.

Personally I dont tell people i'm on a 'diet'.
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Cut out the worst, when you get used to that, reduce the not so bad if you need to. I don't believe in cutting everything 'bad' out of your diet because I am more likely to end up going on a binge or just give up because I miss having certain foods or takeaways or whatever.
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Like a previous poster said, it's not all or nothing.

Subway might not be the healthiest food on the planet but it certainly seems like you are making steps in the right direction with substituting it for mcdonalds and trying to add vegetables, even picking baked over fried Doritos. Plus, fast food once a fortnight is not something to be ashamed of in my book, especially if it's something you enjoy!

I think gradual changes, like you have expressed, are the best way to keep your 'diet' sustainable, and soon you will find yourself naturally making even further changes, and because you want to, rather than from trying to stick to a strict set of rules from the get go. That is how it's worked out for me anyway.

Try not to listen to others' judgements on how you eat, as long as you feel you are getting continually healthier then you are on the right track!
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I think that you have answered the question for yourself. You said that if you didn't go out to eat at all you would end up blowing the whole thing. You know you are making changes, and if you are keeping within your cals then why not eat out. If your family make these comments again just say that you are making a lifestyle change and part of that change is learning to eat like a slim person and since slim people eat out too and control their portions you thought it would be a good exercise to do that.
  • keepitoff321
    keepitoff321 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Changing habits that get you from where you were to where you want to be are always right. It would be easier if we could wake one day and stop eating/doing all the things we know we shouldn't and do/eat all the things we know we should. But it's not that simple, is it? And those who try such drastic changes tend to fall on their face. (some, not all) Small, moderate changes are more likely to last. There may be a time you hit a plateau and need to cut out the chips and re-examine your food choices . Or maybe you'll just work out more. It's a journey that doesn't end and you are always learning what works for you.

Ignore the nay-say-ers and celebrate the changes and efforts you are making.

Feel good, you are on the right track.

PS: when at subway, ask them to hollow out the bread (dig out the middle). Good way to cut cals and make more room for veggies. :happy:
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    why make things harder than they have to be?

Your #1 priority is hitting your calorie intake goals.

How you go about doing that is of far less importance. If you can meet your calorie intake goals eating Subway, then keep eating Subway.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Fast food does not make you fat. Too many calories makes you fat. You can eat fast food and still lose weight if you are hitting your calorie goal and not going over your maintenance level.

This. Even if you're not into eating out when you're at home, at some point you'll have to when traveling, whether it's business or pleasure. DH and I, both normal weight, eat at Subway on road trips all the time. My sandwiches are always heavy on veggies, no cheese, no mayo-based dressings. I avoid the chips and cookies and drink diet cola, but the chips won't kill you if they're within your calorie allowance.

You're better off finding healthy ways to eat in restaurants than deciding you can never eat in one (regular or fast food) again.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs going out to fast food a couple times a week. Enough said :)