walking to a 5K run

Options
Hello MFP. I have decided to try out the NEW athlete in me that has been screamin to come out. Today was my first day of training myself to RUN a 5K. I know that this road will be a tough one to travel but I know that I am up for the challenge. I set this goal for myself because I need all this exercise and jogging that I am doing to have a higher purpose (to ensure that I don't give up). Are there any others out there that feel this way or am I tripping? I need advice and comments.

Replies

• deannafaye94
    deannafaye94 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely up for this...I've been thinking about starting for a while but was lacking the motivation. This is the first challenge I've involved myself in so let's hope we can keep each other motivated. Which plan are you following?
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Type into google C25K ( or any other search engine). This a programme called Couch to 5 K and over eight weeks it will build you up slowly to being able to run 5k.

There are lots of free aps for both android/apple plus podcasts etc.

I'm a pay for one around $2/£2 called Zombie run training app which is good fun and links to a website showing where you have run.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into a program like the C25K and good luck to you!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You've taken the first, hardest step and have decided to do this, so well done to you!
    As others have said, Couch to 5k is a really good program to follow.
  • SweetpeaHu
    SweetpeaHu Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Check out if your county has a road runners club. They are a non-profit runners club that really help motivate me. You train twice weekly and some on your own. It was much easier and more fun to run with a group of people, and they have all sorts of levels for beginners.
  • Janejones1966
    Janejones1966 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting week 3 of the NHS version of C25K. I've got it as a pocast so I really don't have to think about what I'm doing Laura does it all for me, she tells me when to walk and when to run - its fab. As a 47 year old who's been unit for most of my life I finally found a challenge I believe I can complete. I'd totally recommend it (or something similar)
  • naturallyme36
    naturallyme36 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • naturallyme36
    naturallyme36 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    thanks to everyone for the info and advice. I will follow up with the web sites to see what will work best for me. I already checked into C25K but that program was not best for me right now since I have already started jogging 1.5-2 miles 3 times a week. I will however check on the runners club info and runnerscircle.org. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. Thanks again for your responses:bigsmile: