Abs after C-Section

Hi all! I had a c-section about 8 weeks ago, and am dieting and doing a lot of cardio workout type stuff, but I am interested to know about ab workouts. Have any of you ladies out there found anything that works for you? My muscles are still a little tender, considering they were just cut apart. I've read that I should start with low-impact ab workouts as opposed to crunches and things, but I'm not sure what to do! Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• hellokittymaui
    hellokittymaui Posts: 226 Member
    I had c-sections with both of my kids. Now granted... my oldest is 15 yrs and my "little one" is 11 yrs old.

A 8 weeks post partum, if you feel up to it, go ahead and try some crunches and other ab exercises. Just do them slowl, make very sure you have excellent form and listen to your body if you have excessive pain.

I'd suggest trying a yoga or pilates class. Both of those work the abs a LOT, but in a more gentle, whole body way. And the teachers offer modifications as you get started so you won't hurt yourself.

Good luck! And congratulations!! :flowerforyou:
  • alexmayo87
    alexmayo87 Posts: 2
    Thanks so much! I'm looking into some yoga stuff, but I think I'd like to do it at home in the beginning. If you have any good recommendations for a DVD, I'd appreciate it!
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    At 8 weeks I would go very slow and not stress too much! I was still a train wreck at 8 weeks. I'd do some standing core work( google it). I like turbo fire for that kind of work too. Congrats on the baby!!
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Wow! I am impressed that you are doing cardio at 8 weeks! I had 2 CSections and although I recovered quickly, I still didn't do anything more than walking for exercise up until about 12 weeks. I would check with your Dr. about any ab work. 8 weeks is very early to stress muscles that were cut open and you really need to let them heal properly or you will run into problems in the long run
  • Luciewithienoty
    Luciewithienoty Posts: 15 Member
    Do a search on You Tube for 'Sahrmann exercises' (?sp). It's 5 progressive ab exercises that, I think, were designed for C-section recovery.
    It starts very gently with contracting your abs & gradually gets harder.
    There's quite a few instructional videos on You Tube, or even do a Google search.