macros?

Options
shosh413
shosh413 Posts: 135 Member
Hey i have a weird concern or question or somewhat...

Are macros really just for abs?- I mean granted it's good to have ur balance of carbs, proteins and fats a day, but if u have 60 percent carbs, but at ur cal goal for the day, won't u still lose weight? I know also that when you eat healthier you feel better... and blah blah blah and i agree with that but i'm talking practically right now...

I know i'll be more squishy in my tummy maybe the more carbs i eat than i'm supposed to (and this isn't my goal i'm jsut talking practically now..) but will i lose weight still? can i still have a smaller tummy?

isn't it really about the deficit?

thanks

Replies

• sh0emann
    sh0emann Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm under the impression that it is mainly about a deficit, but by controlling your macros it will help determine what you lose. I try to have low-medium carb for energy, high protein so I retain/keep muscle mass, and fats I don't remember what they do, but they make up what's left.

To figure out macros the method I use is eat 1 gram of protein for body weight. So if you weigh 160 lbs, you try and eat 160 gram.
    For the fat it is a similar situation, but you do 1/4 your weight, so 160(.25).

So you have 160 grams of protein and 40 grams of fat.
    Also now each gram of carbs and proteins is 4 calories and each gram of fat is equal to 9 calories.

Protein; So 160(4) = 640 calories of protein
    Fats: 40(9) = 360

Then see how many daily calories you need to attain your goal. (freedieting.com) and we will say you need 1850 as a calorie deficit to lose weight.

After that you had up how many calories in protein and fats and subtract that from your daily calories needs.

640 + 360 = 1000

1850-1000= 850

The 850 is the amount of calories of carbs you need. You can then divide that by 4 (each gram of carbs/protein equals 4 calories) to get how many gram of carbs. 850/4 = 212.5 grams of carbs.

I hope this helps you if you need help let me know. If you are like me you want to see the reasoning behind some of the numbers rather than just be given what appears to be random macro %'s.
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Weight control is first and foremost about total cals.

That being said, macros can make a difference, especially the leaner you get. Macros will also play a big role in body composition, workout performance, etc.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm under the impression that it is mainly about a deficit, but by controlling your macros it will help determine what you lose. I try to have low-medium carb for energy, high protein so I retain/keep muscle mass, and fats I don't remember what they do, but they make up what's left.

To figure out macros the method I use is eat 1 gram of protein for body weight. So if you weigh 160 lbs, you try and eat 160 gram.

Also now each gram of carbs and proteins is 4 calories and each gram of fat is equal to 9 calories.

Then see how many daily calories you need to attain your goal. (freedieting.com) and we will say you need 1850 as a calorie deficit to lose weight.

After that you had up how many calories in protein and fats and subtract that from your daily calories needs.

640 + 360 = 1000

1850-1000= 850

The 850 is the amount of calories of carbs you need. You can then divide that by 4 (each gram of carbs/protein equals 4 calories) to get how many gram of carbs. 850/4 = 212.5 grams of carbs.

I hope this helps you if you need help let me know. If you are like me you want to see the reasoning behind some of the numbers rather than just be given what appears to be random macro %'s.

Almost, but fat should be 1/3 not 1/4; Protein minimum should be set at 1 gram per lb or lean body mass (not total weight); and the remaining cals don't all have to be carbs, they can be all carbs, or you can choose to get more fat and/or protein instead.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

640 + 360 = 1000

1850-1000= 850

that has made it easier for me to understand, thank you
  • tackie8383
    tackie8383 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump