190 pounds to lose!! Ugh!

Options
Hey everyone. I'm new here. I recently found out that my 3 year old son is autistic. I am 31 years old, and his father is 39. What has prompted me to start this journey is the thought of my son not having anyone to take care of him when he is older should he need it. I want to be around for him as long as I possibly can.

I decided that chain smoking and carrying around 190 pounds of excess weight would more than ensure that he'd be motherless by the time he is 18. So here I am. I quit smoking 3 days ago, and as of today will be eating healthier from here on out. In the mean time I will pray that the writing isn't already on the wall for me to die young from my past mistakes lol.

So here goes.. I'm 5'11 tall and 359 pounds. I am not thankful for much body wise but I AM thankful for being tall lol. It helps distribute all of this fat. My profile picture is for motivation. That is me before I got pregnant at about 270 pounds. I was still a big girl but I looked pretty good to be 270 lol.

Replies

• 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You are very pretty! Have u considered breaking down the amount u have to lose into smaller amounts, like start with 20 so u don't feel discouraged ( or more) kuddos to you for getting started and for quitting smoking. How did u quit?
    Just remember u can do this, don't allow yourself to make excuses and never forget why u started
    Best of luck
  • Annie83uk
    Annie83uk Posts: 128
    Options
    well done for starting your journey, we will all help you the best we can. good luck :smile:
  • feenoir
    feenoir Posts: 1
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck. Losing weight is never easy even though some like to say it is. I'd also agree with 122ish and break it into small milestones and celebrate each one you meet so that it isn't overwhelming and you feel you accomplish something more often. Also it helps having someone be your 'support' or in my case task master to make sure they motivate you to keep doing it every day. I'd probably never get things done without them.

I'd also treat yourself to something ever small milestone like a new water bottle or new work-out clothes so it's like a small present. (or the produce that is a little more expensive that you've always wanted to try- some super markets have some insane exotic stuff).
  • jooles4eva59
    Options
    Hello

Just started too with 100 to lose my first mini goal is 14 pounds. I have a holiday in August to look forward to and i hope that will spur me on so clothes will look that bit nicer on me.

Good Luck and add me as a friend if you wish.

Julie
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are off to a great start - kudos for quitting the smoking!

This is a great place to be - I just joined a few days ago and already feel "at home".

good luck:flowerforyou:
  • David1406
    David1406 Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi from the UK. I have an autistic 12 year old stepson, so understand your issues only too well. Once you get started on here, you get hooked and, believe me, you'll get all the support you need. Good luck on your journey.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    great job on starting your new life! I myself got a lot to lose and started being over 300 lbs i am still smoking i just cant seem to quit so extra kudos to you! I usually celebrate every 20 lbs lost and work on 20 lbs steps has helped me feeling less frustrated with that giant number to lose :flowerforyou:
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! One day at a time.
  • GezBez
    GezBez Posts: 13
    Options
    well done on making the choice! as everyone said, break down your goals to mini losses and celebrate each and every one.

One day at a time... celebrate each and every day that you stick to your plan, tomorrow is done, today is today and tomorrow is tomorrow's problem...

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I was on MFP since Jan and have just joined a group on this and added some friends, it really helps to get the daily motivation as we are all going through the same thing!
  • Elvisfan4life
    Elvisfan4life Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well done for making the decision to lose...and double well done on quitting smoking. For me I'm setting myself 5 smaller targets of half a stone each and when i reach my goal I'm treating myself to a new designer handbag..some thing to aim for.......though it will take me ages that's good as it will. Take me ages to save lol
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    you are already winning by quitting smoking

not preaching but according to a medical site in the UK once you stop smoking

After 20 minutes your blood pressure and pulse return to normal.
    After 24 hours your lungs start to clear.
    After two days your body is nicotine-free and your sense of taste and smell improve.
    After three days you can breathe more easily, and your energy increases.
    After two to 12 weeks, your circulation improves

This site and the people on it are inspirational your about to begin a great journey. if you need support its here
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I started at 371 a year ago and am now safely under 300. You can do this! Add me as a friend if you want someone who'll be here for a lot longer yet!

Set yourself a routine, mini goals and non-food rewards for passing milestones, log EVERYTHING and use the friends facility of this site to ensure you remain accountable and you really can't go too far wrong.
  • sonyadehart
    Options
    Thanks you guys! :) I do have it broken down into small goals. I figure it will take me 2 years at 8lbs a month. That is very attainable I think :) I've lost over 100lbs before so I know I can do this. It's not easy but it will be worth it.

I have PCOS too, are there any ladies here that also have it? It makes weight gain pretty easy and weight loss initially difficult. I can look at a cookie and gain 5 pounds it seems lol. PCOS sucks.
  • ChrisMayhew87
    ChrisMayhew87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That's a lot to lose but you can certainly do it!! :o)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I had 150 to lose in total as you can see I'm a third there. Once you get going and Sun got small victories it will be so encouraging. Congratulations on the first step and you can add me if you wish.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! There are a lot of ladies with PCOS here, you're in good company.

You are a strong woman to do all of this at once. I can't wait to see your successes.
  • 260ToGo
    260ToGo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do this! Just remember the harder you work, the bigger the results! Any questions, or anything feel free to message me. I'm just starting off as well so we're in similar situations!
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Wow girl, your pic is so pretty, you got gorgeous eyes. And your boy is too cute. Congrats on quitting smoking. That is a hard one in itself. I quite after smoking over 15 years. Soon you will notice how soft you skin gets and how much healthier you hair gets. Its such a huge difference. You are on the path to success hun, best of luck to you.
  • LarryLaird
    LarryLaird Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place, lots of great prople here. You piked a tough route, smokeing and weight loss but it can be done. I quit over a year ago cold turkey and did not gain anything. i didn't lose anything either but that was 100% my fault. I was and still am lacking in my exercise, it wasn't lack of support that's for sure. My sister has only been on here about 4 months and she has lost around 40# so far. Take care, you will do fine!!
  • CeCePII
    CeCePII Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'll be thinking of you and cheering you on.