Need to make a change.

Options
Hello, My name is Sam, I'm new to this and I'm really nervous to be posting this and getting this out there, but I guess it can't hurt to show that I'm trying and that I want this. I am 5'7 and 189lbs and I am 19 years old. I've never really learned how to be fit and throughout high school I locked myself in my room. I am a candidate for diabetes, and I am so scared that I will one day have to fight having diabetes.I am tired of spending every summer in my house and not at the beach with my friends. I don't know how to eat healthy, and I'm tired of making excuses for myself. I really have no one to support me, and I need help and have no idea where to start with ANYTHING. If any of you have some advice for me I am more than willing to listen. All I know is I'm ready to break out of these horrible eating/living habits. I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read this and reply.

Thank you.

Replies

• stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi Sam

Your already winning by posting here. You will succeed because you have intelligence, courage and determination

This is a wonderful site with amazing people they will support and guide you

My wife is a doctor and I read her your post. She said, as others will tell you start by logging all that you eat and share with others on this site then be guided by them

Feel free to add me as a friend
  • Cartersnew61
    Options
    :wink: :heart: Hi Sam ! Nice t meet you. First thing take it one day at a time. You have already made the first step. Try not to put to much pressure on yourself. Start with little things like drinking lots of water. Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. Cut fried foods if you can. I have a weakness for fried food so every so often I will allow myself something. I also have a weakness for sweets but I try real hard to not eat them. Believe me it is a struggle because I have been heavy most of my life and I am now 52. You MUST work out. Start small with walking 30 to 60 minutes. Push yourself a little each day. Music helps me on the treadmill and at the gym. When you feel like it get a gym membership. I don't let what anyone else is doing bother me. When I'm at the gym it is all about me, that's my focus. :flowerforyou: It will be hard at first but will become second nature to you after a while. STAY POSATIVE an good luck. I will be on the lookout for post from you.
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Just bumping this up so people can reach out to Sam
  • pattibarszcz
    Options
    Hi Sam - you have definitely come to the right place if you're looking for support. I've only been here a short time, but the people are so amazing and have such great advice to offer, and so much support. You have to just take things a day at a time and don't get overwhelmed by the big picture. I have about 60 lbs to lose and when I think of it in those terms, it sounds impossible. I am making my goal 10 lbs, and when I get there, my next goal is another 10 lbs, and so on.
    I have not been a healthy eater at all for the past several years, and I have always said I hate to exercise, but once I started eating healthier and exercising, I lost some weight and it gave me the motivation to keep going.

Feel free to add me as a friend here :happy:
  • samshinequinlan
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I really do appreciate it. I'm hoping to lose my 40lbs by my birthday (which is November) I've always hated exercise. And not so much exercise but more so sweating. I just got a job, so going to the gym won't be for a while yet. Is there any at home exercises I can do? I don't have weights, but I have an exercise ball and I really don't know how you use it for exercise other than sit ups.