Is 30DS effective for skinny fats?

Options
ppdes
ppdes Posts: 83 Member
Hi!

I know, I know, weight training is a must for us skinny fats and I tried to do that for 2 weeks, doing 1 hour of training four times a week. But I am someone who likes to keep moving constantly and somehow, I could not hold my interest in weight training due to this, I have tried and given up several times before.
When I read descriptions of toned bodies post 30DS I thought of taking it up. I have now completed 7 days and tried to support this by increasing my protein intake, reducing carbs, consuming protein shakes etc. Additionally, I also walk brisk for about 30 minutes 5 days a week. I plan to start strong lifts 5x5 soon, but first want to gain a bit of stamina and recovery from this program.
I had thought of therefore starting lifting again a month later, when I read a post in the forum saying that even if you consume protein shakes and up your protein intake, everything will turn into skinny fat unless you are lifting weights.
I am now concered about this as my objective is to lose skinny fat.
I am 167 cms, ~ 145 lbs and body fat of 31%. My fitness objective is to reduce body fat, and that will take care of little excess weight that I have....
Please comment on whether 30DS will be an effective way to start with. Or I should do weights along with it. I want to complete 30DS because I enjoy it, but dont want to gain more skinny fat. Please help.

Replies

• elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    um. if your intention is to decrease your body fat you need to loose weight specifically fat all weight that is lost is a mixture of fat and muscle. in order to retain maximum muscle while loosing weight you need to do resistance training (weights) and make sure you eat enough protein and calories. you will not gain more fat unless you eat more than you need to fuel your body
  • pauline251
    pauline251 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was probably what you call skinny fat. I was always quite slim but gained some weight around my tummy. I did the 30DS and was also doing couch to 5K at the same time and at the end of the 30DS i had lost about 7-8cm from around my waist. My weight stayed the same though, and not sure what my fat percentage was at the time.

Currently I am doing Les Mills classes at the gym- body attack (2-3/week), body pump 2-3/week), GRIT(1-2/week) , also doing some weight lifting and try and run a couple of times per week (been a bit slack with the running lately though).

Probably most important thing is to do the exercise you enjoy and can maintain and lift some weights. 30DS is definitely a good place start, and then you can add in some weight training when you are ready.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    um. if your intention is to decrease your body fat you need to loose weight specifically fat all weight that is lost is a mixture of fat and muscle. in order to retain maximum muscle while loosing weight you need to do resistance training (weights) and make sure you eat enough protein and calories. you will not gain more fat unless you eat more than you need to fuel your body

This.

Ultimately it comes down to how you want to look. Skinny, thin, fat, bulky... they are all relative terms that mean different things to different people Some people want to look like Kim Kardashian. Some people want to look like Dana Linn Bailey. Most people want to be somewhere in between, but that's a lot of gray area there. The more muscle definition you want, the more important it is to lift.