My arms are going to fall off.

Options
Last Friday, I lifted weights for the first time. Nothing too crazy. I worked out my arms and chest. I used weights that were heavy enough for me to do 8-12 reps per set, comfortably. Immediately after the workout, and for the rest of the night, I felt great. Saturday morning, when I woke up, I was unable to move. I was in so much pain and my arms were useless. Any movement I made that required arm movement caused me to wince. Sunday was just as bad. Today I'm feeling much better but still in a fair amount of pain. Did I do something wrong? Were the weights too heavy? Anything I can do to help the pain? I'm nervous about doing my legs because i'm afraid I won't be able to walk and, eventually, it will be time to do my arms again. Should I just power through the pain or take a longer rest period? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Try soaking in an epsom salt bath afterward. That usually helps with my soreness. And stretch, if you can.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Protein shake if your protein intake isn't high enough. Makes a world of difference. Drink plenty of water and make sure you do some kind of stretch/ warm up before and stretch after :)
  • bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    This will happen initially, it will get better I assure you, don't quit because it will just be harder to keep going. Imho never start off going gung ho with things like weights. Ease your way into it. Start with 1-2 sets of each type over exercise. Also what is your intake for protein? If you are starting a lifting regime I suggest 1g of protein per kg of weight initially and increase amount of protein as you start to do more strength training.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    No, everything you did was right. You just aren't used to it.

Check to make sure you are getting enough protein.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this!

i started strength training again after doing a round of insanity, and could barely move for 2 days afterwards... however i did the same routine again and was hardly sore the next time!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    First time using a muscle group and you feel sore for several days, that sounds about right.
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bad case of DOMS after your first new work out. Sounds normal. It will happen less intensely and less frequently over time if you keep up with your work outs.

Good luck!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    What you are experiencing is called DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) - for some people DOMS is the worst the day after lifting, for others the worst day is two days after lifting (I'm in the two days after camp). It is VERY normal. If I don't have some DOMS after lifting, I know I didn't go heavy enough. DOMS is caused by a build-up of lactic acid in the muscles your worked.

What I've found helps reduce my DOMS (so I can actually function on my dreaded day 2) is to:
    (1) make sure my protein intake is correct
    (2) make sure I'm drinking enough water (1 oz of water for every 2 pounds of body weight is the rule that works well for me)
    (3) drink a recovery type drink immediately after lifting (something that has a ratio of 4g of carbs to 1g of protein - can be an actual "recovery drink" or something as simple as low fat chocolate milk)
    (4) and this one is most important for me - do 10-15 minutes of cardio right after you finish lifting that works the body area you just lifted (ie if I just did upper body, I'll do some shadow boxing...if I just did legs, I'll do some kicks or running in place), followed by 10-15 minutes of stretching....then I make sure to do at least 30 minutes (but usually 60) of cardio the day after lifting, no matter how sore I am.

If I follow the above, my DOMS is minimal - but for me, #4 is key....if I'm on track with 1-3 but slack off on 4, my day 2 DOMS kill me. :)

HTH! :)
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It will get better...Hydate, stretch, and dont go too long before your next workout (it's good to keep things moving). I still have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) the second day after leg day but it is much more managable now than it was when I first started, couldnt even walk up stairs at first!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

[/quote

This and do some stretching it will help ease the soreness.

You don't need to wait for the soreness to completely go before you workout again.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    The best way to deal with DOMS is prevention.

The best way to prevent DOMS is through specific warm-ups, that is, light-weight versions of the exercise you are working up to. You're bound to get somewhat sore the first few times you use your muscles in a new way, but unless you enjoy being debilitated after a workout, I would get in the habit of warming up thoroughly.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Walking will be difficult for a couple of days after leg day, especially as you're new to it :D

I personally find a hot shower and a long walk help deal with DOMS there.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    No. You just had a great workout. Your body will get used to it. I love when Im sore, its so hard to do now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,628 Member
    Options
    DOMS is part of working out. Since you're new, you have the "pumped up" version.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Gobonas hit the nail on the head about DOMS. I'm a day 2 person as well...

Now, what is recommended is taking a protein shake (about 34 grams is supposedly optimal post workout) immediately after lifting. The protein will be digested and get a fresh supply of amino acids to your muscles to start repair. Whey protein in liquid form is the most easily digested way to get your protein. However I'm not against eating protein rich foods right after such as steak, chicken, fish, or some vegetarian type plant stuff (beans for example). However most of us heavy lifters can't afford to get all their protein like that and resort to shakes. (plus they're more convenient.) Try and stay away from the ibuprofin or any NSAID's as they do block protein absorption into the body.

I found shooting some hoops after an upper body workout helps a lot with DOMS. Maybe you can use the elliptical afterwards. 15-20 minutes should be all you need to flush out that lactic acid. Get some strength training and cardio... bonus!

It's just gonna take time as your muscles get used to recovering. Your recovery times will decrease but don't hit the weights again until the soreness goes away. Mildly sore is ok, but not the day or two after. You can expect up to 4 or 5 days even!
  • alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I did my first workout from NROLFW on Friday and I was in such pain on Saturday I was ready to just die. Sunday I had to play a hockey game and was dreading it, but found that warming up and actually working my muscles made it so much easier.

Yesterday I made sure to do about 30 mins of cardio after my leg workout and today I am barely sore at all. I think you just can't let your sore muscles remain stiff and cold, even if it hurts.
  • joekleinert
    joekleinert Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen at the gym a few weeks ago. Didn't do anything to crazy but worked out for the first time with the trainer. My triceps were sore for about 5 days. To the point where I could hardly pickup up a bottle of water in front of me to take a drink. Now everything is back to good. Probably used muscles you hadn't used in a very long time.
  • lacquer_head
    lacquer_head Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It seems counterintuitive to work the muscles that are killing me, but this group certainly looks like they know what they are talking about, so i'm going to trust you guys :laugh: Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep at it, i'll even welcome it. I guess it means i'm making progress.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It seems counterintuitive to work the muscles that are killing me, but this group certainly looks like they know what they are talking about, so i'm going to trust you guys :laugh: Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep at it, i'll even welcome it. I guess it means i'm making progress.

Don't go back and work them as hard as you did the other day... do some light work. For example, when my legs hurt after leg day, I take my dogs for a long walk or go hiking with my kids. Using sore muscles increases blood flow which helps them recover/heal.