Gym etiquette questions?

Options

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. I like the idea of just buying my own 2.5lb plates so I don't have to go hunting.

One more follow-up question - if you are doing deadlifts or barbell rows, can you just take the bar from one of the benches where it is sitting to go somewhere else to do them? I think my gym has one bar that just sits on the ground off to the side, but as it is only one, it's often in use, even at 5 AM when I go. Can I just take my bench press bar after I'm done doing the bench, do my deadlifts in front of the bench, and then put it back? I guess if I'm going to still just use that bench to sit on to rest between sets, I'm still just using the same equipment anyway, right?

I just don't want to upset anyone or call attention to myself while it's still obvious I don't know what I'm doing...

Thanks!

Yeah, it's okay to take a barbell from a bench for deadlifts if there is no free bar sitting around. You might want to use a power rack when you put the weights on it (once you get to a point when you do 135 lb or more), because otherwise it's hard to rack a bar that's sitting on the ground. At least I find it easier to rack it in a power cage and then lift it out to do my deadlifts.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Quick word of advice!

When unloaded 45s off of a bar, make sure there are not too many on one side, do them one at a time, or you will flip that sucker. I usually do one at a time, because I am not sure what the limit is, like how many can be on one side before the balance is shot. I know this may seem like a simple thing to remember, but it has happened with plenty of people before.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    1. Yep, generally people take their plates off. Part of me thinks it's a guy/strong thing when they don't, because when short wee me goes to the squat rack it's actually pretty common for the guy who last used it to offer to take it off.

I actually find that it's the complete opposite. I usually have to take lighter weight off....

I just put it back on when I'm done now. I've given up.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    1. You're supposed to re reck but some people are jerks and don't do this.

2. Yes.

3. Wait until you can go up a full 10lbs if you don't have smaller plates.

4. Only work in on machines or if the person is doing the same weight as you. Otherwise it's a pain in the *kitten*.

^^This

And #1 is rampant at the gym I frequent. It's gotten to the point where if the equipment is loaded when I get there, I put it back exactly as I found it when I'm done.

Yup
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Not so much when you're swapping plates around. On a cable machine, sure. But eh, if I've got two 20kg plates either side and someone needs a single 10kg on each side, it's not happening.

In that scenario, I would just switch it up, so use two 10kg plates each side, I really don't care about reloading and reloading the bar*.

*said the guy who never shares a lifting platform!
  • stevepax
    stevepax Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Quick word of advice!

When unloaded 45s off of a bar, make sure there are not too many on one side, do them one at a time, or you will flip that sucker. I usually do one at a time, because I am not sure what the limit is, like how many can be on one side before the balance is shot. I know this may seem like a simple thing to remember, but it has happened with plenty of people before.

Hah, good advice. Thanks for a funny visual, too.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    1. You're supposed to re reck but MANY people are jerks and don't do this.

2. Yes.

4. Only work in on machines or if the person is doing the same weight as you. Otherwise it's a pain in the *kitten*.

Fixed #1 haha

Good answers though
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's okay to take a barbell from a bench for deadlifts if there is no free bar sitting around. You might want to use a power rack when you put the weights on it (once you get to a point when you do 135 lb or more), because otherwise it's hard to rack a bar that's sitting on the ground. At least I find it easier to rack it in a power cage and then lift it out to do my deadlifts.

It IS hard to rack a bar on the ground....but then I find it even harder to lift the bar out of the rack considering the forward stanchions of the power rack are practically at chest height for me!!!!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Not so much when you're swapping plates around. On a cable machine, sure. But eh, if I've got two 20kg plates either side and someone needs a single 10kg on each side, it's not happening.

In that scenario, I would just switch it up, so use two 10kg plates each side, I really don't care about reloading and reloading the bar*.

*said the guy who never shares a lifting platform!
    Your maths sucks.

As to the unloading the bar and making it tip - I've tried it intentionally on the squat rack at my gym - if you have 30kg one side and 0 the other, that seems to be the tipping point :P
  • ZoeLifts
    Options

It IS hard to rack a bar on the ground....but then I find it even harder to lift the bar out of the rack considering the forward stanchions of the power rack are practically at chest height for me!!!!!

I find it good practice to rack it from the ground (a little bit of extra strength training :wink: ), however, you can also stack plates under the bar, which will also make this much easier to do. In fact, many people stack plates under the bar anyway if they are pulling from the floor so the bar is at least at the height it would be if it were loaded with 45s in order to pull DL and Rows from the same height, no matter what weight is on.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options

As to the unloading the bar and making it tip - I've tried it intentionally on the squat rack at my gym - if you have 30kg one side and 0 the other, that seems to be the tipping point :P

Good to know! I've always wondered but have never wanted to test it, myself!
  • HelloDan
    Options
    Your maths sucks.

The 20kg plate on each side was inferred!

On the plus side, at least my squat rack doesn't suck, I've had 60kg on one side, and nothing on the other, with no tipping.
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'd rather work in and deal with switching weights than wait 20-40 minutes if someone is using the squat rack doing stronglifts; assuming that there isn't another rack available.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Your maths sucks.

The 20kg plate on each side was inferred!

On the plus side, at least my squat rack doesn't suck, I've had 60kg on one side, and nothing on the other, with no tipping.
    Overcompensating.

:flowerforyou:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    1,2,3,4, This is why I have my own gym stuff - worst case, I have a friend or two over to share it with.
    I did get a moan that I'd left the plates on the other day (it's at my work unit and I was doing some work); I suggested she buy her own weights if it was an issue ;).

Anyway:
    1: On a lot of things, I actually find it more annoying if there's no weight. But yes, it is considered good manners to re-rack the weights.
    When my friend about moans about taking off my 20kg discs, I point out she's there to get stronger ;).

2: Everywhere I've been, the weights are just shared around all the machines - you're paying to use it, you go and find the kit you need to use.

3: As above, consider doing a couple more reps at the lower weight maybe, until you can do a few at the higher.

4: See my first point :). But yes, you can always have the lighter person's weights on first, which should make it less hassle.

Oh and when I was over at my mum's the other week I went to a local gym. My left side seemed particularly weak on the power clean's and I was rather unbalanced.
    Turned out I'd stuck a 10kg rather than 5kg on that side or something (may have only been 2.5 extra); whatever, it noticeably negatively effected the lift in that case.
  • HelloDan
    Options
    :brokenheart: LOL!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    1. You're supposed to re reck but some people are jerks and don't do this.

2. Yes.

QFT.
  • bumblebums
    Options

I find it good practice to rack it from the ground (a little bit of extra strength training :wink: ), however, you can also stack plates under the bar, which will also make this much easier to do. In fact, many people stack plates under the bar anyway if they are pulling from the floor so the bar is at least at the height it would be if it were loaded with 45s in order to pull DL and Rows from the same height, no matter what weight is on.

It's not a strength issue for me (45s aren't that hard to lift), it's just awkward to rack on the ground. It takes a lot less time to rack in a rack. I sometimes use the squat rack's catch bars to rack for the deadlift, which places the bar at a perfect height for pickup. (My gym has three squat racks and a power cage so I'm not getting in anyone's way.)
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    One more follow-up question - if you are doing deadlifts or barbell rows, can you just take the bar from one of the benches where it is sitting to go somewhere else to do them? I think my gym has one bar that just sits on the ground off to the side, but as it is only one, it's often in use, even at 5 AM when I go. Can I just take my bench press bar after I'm done doing the bench, do my deadlifts in front of the bench, and then put it back? I guess if I'm going to still just use that bench to sit on to rest between sets, I'm still just using the same equipment anyway, right?

Huh... I didn't realize this was a concern. :ohwell: I just started lifting last week, and I go to the local rec center's fitness place so it's not usually busy, but I just take the benching bar for my deadlifts.
    We have some smaller bars that sit on the ground, but since they're not as long as a bench or squat bar, I wasn't sure of the weight of the bar itself. That's why I took the bench barbell. I know it's 45lbs so I know what I'm lifting. Question to people who have lifted longer than me: any idea what the small bars would weigh?
  • bumblebums
    Options

Huh... I didn't realize this was a concern. :ohwell: I just started lifting last week, and I go to the local rec center's fitness place so it's not usually busy, but I just take the benching bar for my deadlifts.
    We have some smaller bars that sit on the ground, but since they're not as long as a bench or squat bar, I wasn't sure of the weight of the bar itself. That's why I took the bench barbell. I know it's 45lbs so I know what I'm lifting. Question to people who have lifted longer than me: any idea what the small bars would weigh?

I would guess 20 lb (seems to be a common weight for non-Olympic-style bars), but you could ascertain this by weighing yourself with and without the bar on the gym scale. Could be anywhere between 10 and 25, really.