Why scales suck

Options
BeachIron
BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
I see quite a few posts on here to the tune of "OMG, I've been dieting all week and my scale is up by 2 pounds, what am I doing wrong!!!!" Sometimes the answer to this is simply "nothing but you're giving the scale too much credibility."

To give you but one example, I got up this morning and weighed myself at 189.2. I then did the business and weighed myself at 185.4 (3.8 pounds?! I don't think so), then I did that again and weighed in at 190 (an eyebrow raising increase of 4.6 pounds??!). I keep trying to change floor placement but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I figure my scale is either hung over from the holiday weekend or it needs new batteries. Meh. . .

My point? I'm not weighing in today and I'm not stressing it. I'll keep doing what I know works and I will try again with the scale another day as I know the weight is coming off. The scale is but one measuring device in my arsenal that also includes calipers, a tape measure, and a mirror. Learn to use all of them and get accustomed to daily, and even hourly, fluctuations in your weight. IT IS NORMAL and scales suck.

Carry on.

Replies

• DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you wrote this. I needed this as a reminder :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You are a diamond for posting this.
  • redrosepink09
    Options
    Thanks for writing this, I let the scale annoy me too much!!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Yes. I fluctuate by over five pounds weekly. However, If we all understood this and trusted the process, half the mfp threads would disappear!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Scales are demonic sometimes. I sneeze and gain 2 pounds. Or lose 2 pounds. Or gain 10% bodyfat.

I have learned to ignore the scale, but thank you for this reminder this morning.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    bump for my FL
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    As much as I tell everyone that will listen that the scale lies and it's really bad for reporting daily progress and only good for tracking trends over long term, I admit I am a scale junkie :sad: . I will jump on one several times a day and always weigh in the morning (a few times) and at night before bed. I will weigh at work, at the gym, and I'll put a quarter in the truck stop "see how much you weigh and get your lucky numbers here!!" scale.

The numbers and fluctuations don't bother me. To me, its interesting to see that my scale says I gained 8 lbs in one day, or that I can gain or lose 1 lb brushing my teeth. Some people, however, those fluctuations will drive them insane.

If you really want to know how bad the scale is for tracking daily progress, weigh yourself several times a day, keep a spreed sheet and track those numbers. You will soon see that there are many variables to what the scale says...however...over time, you will notice that it will either start to consistently trend upward or tread downward.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I agree. I still am obsessed that I must get on that scale every morning but I really put more credibility in how my clothes fit. I still need the scale to keep myself in line and disciplined but I don't go all nuts (like I used to) if I am up a few pounds (if I know I was good). p.s. I can weigh myself before my shower & after & it usually is different - if only water washed the pounds away!
  • mommyz722
    mommyz722 Posts: 26
    Options
    My scale is crazy too! I can gain 5-8 lbs just by eating or simply putting on socks! I mean, really come on! I can tell more by how my clothes fit where I am at then the number that just magically decides it wants to pop up on the scale.I used to let the scale rule my life. I do still use it however, I am not letting it define who I am like I used to. It is just a number. (Ask me about this when I am down). lol
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the scale so much! When I was young my dad did Weight Watchers and would go for a weekly weigh in. So I grew up with the belief that this is the only way to judge weight loss!

I was becoming obsessive about the scales so I put them away for 3 weeks. When I got on them at the end of that time frame they said I had gained 1 1/2 pounds! Um, what? I had been eating good and exercising, etc. I got on the next day and I had lost nearly 3 pounds (plus the 1 1/2). I have weighed again and it is staying on the lower number. But you can't believe how bummed I was the first day when it said I had gained!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    As much as I tell everyone that will listen that the scale lies and it's really bad for reporting daily progress and only good for tracking trends over long term, I admit I am a scale junkie :sad: . I will jump on one several times a day and always weigh in the morning (a few times) and at night before bed. I will weigh at work, at the gym, and I'll put a quarter in the truck stop "see how much you weigh and get your lucky numbers here!!" scale.

The numbers and fluctuations don't bother me. To me, its interesting to see that my scale says I gained 8 lbs in one day, or that I can gain or lose 1 lb brushing my teeth. Some people, however, those fluctuations will drive them insane.

If you really want to know how bad the scale is for tracking daily progress, weigh yourself several times a day, keep a spreed sheet and track those numbers. You will soon see that there are many variables to what the scale says...however...over time, you will notice that it will either start to consistently trend upward or tread downward.

Thanks for posting this point. I also weigh all the time out of curiosity, and that is why I don't care so much about the fluctuations. They happen and are no big deal. The focus has to be on the overall trend.
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I swear if I get into "onederland" I will quit weighing in so much....but I have been working so hard to get this same 4 pounds off for over a month now!!!!
    I know you are right, but I want to be able to say I weigh "1_ _" that is a big deal! So regardless if it sucks, it holds my weight over me and I know I feel better, but I still want that number :-) and I will get it!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this point. I also weigh all the time out of curiosity, and that is why I don't care so much about the fluctuations. They happen and are no big deal. The focus has to be on the overall trend.

I weigh myself daily (or more often) but I track my average weight. By using an exponentially smoothed weighted average, I know that I'm losing weight as long as my morning weight is mostly below the average, even if it's 2 lbs. higher than it was the previous day. Daily weigh-ins also show me the effects of what I eat on my weight: salty food results in short-term water retention.
  • binkyb00
    binkyb00 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I weight myself daily purely because I want to win against it :) Weird mentality, but hey it works for me.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

I can magically gain 12 pounds from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed. At least, according to the scale. Oh and it's tempermental about where it is on the floor, how I step on it, where my feet are placed, etc.

I'll step on it a couple times a week but don't really give it much thought. If by chance it's lower than before, I change my ticker. If it's higher, meh no big deal because I know what I'm doing is working. The tape measurer, mirror and my clothes are confirming that.

Besides, I don't care so much about my body's interaction with gravity anymore :laugh:

Edit: typo
  • stacyfit12
    stacyfit12 Posts: 4
    Options
    I hate the scale. I use a tape measure and how my clothes fit to measure my weight loss. I'm losing without jumping on the scale. I'm wearing clothes I haven't worn in a year. Thanks MFP!