1snack, 2 or none?

Options
I am pretty new to this whole eating healthy and so just wanting some advice as to whether snacking is successful? At current I have breakfast around 8, lunch around half 12/1 and dinner around 5/half 5, and somedays (usually exercise days) I get hungry in between. I was wondering if adding snacks is good or do you think it just makes you eat more? I have never really snacked between meals, maybe on some days but not always, but since being more active I am inevitably more hungry. Also I was wondering whether say one snack or two is effective. Basically what works for you? I know everyone's different and stuff I am just trying to get as many opinions on the whole snacking thing, then deciding for myself and altering it to fit my life. Anyway thanks! :smile:
Also any snack ideas, what would you snack on and what time?

Replies

• nicoleanderson529
    Options
    maybe grab a fruit or a veggie for a snack? something that isnt high in calories.
  • Lollypops44
    Lollypops44 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, personally, I find snacking is my downfall so if I coud not snack that woud be great. You are bound to feel hungrier if you are exercising more so maybe eat slightly larger meals to get you through or some fruit as above poster suggested.
  • KylieJordan16
    KylieJordan16 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with usually 3 "snacks" every day. However I don't really feel like they are snacks, but more just part of my daily food intake. I think it's just what works best for you :)
  • Maharet
    Maharet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i actually added an extra snack on my daily diary. i'm doing the zone thing so i'm trying to follow it according to what it recommends. it works out. most of my snacks are about 100-200 cal's and my meals are around 200-300. somedays are worse than others, but all in all it's been working out for me and i've been losing weight.

i'm happier breaking up my meals rather than having one large meal 3 times a day. of course it depends on the day. this weekend was the hardest i've had so far. i'm going on my 3rd week now and i'm hoping this little wall i hit gets far behind me.
  • natasa26ca
    natasa26ca Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have 3 snacks a day. fruit between breakfast and lunch (since it is high in sugar), nuts between lunch and dinner, and plain non fat yogurt after dinner. I usually have my dinner at 7pm but i go to bed at 12am. I would go crazy with hunger before bed if i didnt have my yogurt to fill me up at around 9pm. With my 3 snacks a day i am never hungry and it mentains my sugar level which prevents me from craving and giving in to junk food.
    I lose on avarage 1.5 pounds per week.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Eating fewer calories works. If eating bigger meals and not snacking works for you, then do that. If eating smaller meals with snacks works for you, then do that.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with snacking, I think it's just gotten a bad rap because of the "bad" snack options. You can have healthy snacks though that are totally within your calories. Bonus - since you're working out, you get more calories so you can "afford" the snack. And obviously your body needs it since you're hungry. One of my personal favorites is Fage 2% yogurt with a little strawberry or rhubarb jam. Carbs, protein and probiotics - win win win and YUM!
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For me I like having the snacks in between meals, I kind of plan the food for the day and then know how much extra I have for snacks (my main meals are pretty 'clean'). I have some favourite low cal 'treat' snacks as well as fruit and veg so if I want to indulge I can. Some of my faves are:-
    KP Skips - 76 kcal
    Low sugar jelly with low cal yoghurt - about 60 - 70 kcals depending on the brand
    Mini animals 95 kcal- or in fact any tiny bags aimed at children
    Mini milks 30 kcal

I need to have a treat most days, I have tried the 100% good stuff approach before - but it didn't feel like living and I soon fell off the wagon. For my main meals I do eat well and mostly make food from scratch.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Snacks are good...

Fruit
    Veggies
    Yogurts
    Nuts
    Eggs
    Cottage cheese etc
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I typically don't snack. I prefer to eat larger meals so I save my calories for meals.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    4! Mid-morning, afternoon, post-workout, and evening. I eat smaller meals more frequently - I have problems with boredom hunger and I actually like snacking.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I snack all day. I have breakfast at 6ish, a "second" breakfast when I get to the office at 9:00ish, snack at 11, lunch at 12, snack at 1ish, snack at 3ish, dinner at 6ish, snack at 9ish.
  • simoneg14
    simoneg14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    3 meals, 2 snacks a day. 3 snacks on workout day or more to eat back calories to net 1200 calories.
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i eat 3 (smallish) meals, 2 snacks... my breakfast, lunch and dinner are normally about 300-350 cals, my snack is around 200... my calorie goal is 1490... but i wokout everyday and normally burn between 200-300 cals... so i net about 1200... its been working for me awesomely! lol, i changed to this because i finally stopped being hungry in between meals...