Tracking Strength Training

Options
For the people that lift heavy things. Do you use the MFP exercise tracker for reps and weights or do you use other Apps? I was just wondering if there was another app that would link to MFP. I was looking at using the Jefit program, but is there anything out there better?

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    For the people that lift heavy things. Do you use the MFP exercise tracker for reps and weights or do you use other Apps? I was just wondering if there was another app that would link to MFP. I was looking at using the Jefit program, but is there anything out there better?

I have an old fashioned pen and paper diary. Works a treat, and will (hopefully) survive the nuclear winter that will make all your technology useless......
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I second the good ol' notebook and pen combo. I do love technology but I find this method to be the quickest and easiest for me to track.
  • Unknown
    Options

I have an old fashioned pen and paper diary. Works a treat, and will (hopefully) survive the nuclear winter that will make all your technology useless......

You are correct, but I already have my phone with me for music. It just prevents me from having to bring more stuff to the gym.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I use an app on my (Android) phone called Strong Log. It doesn't link to MFP but I don't count calories from lifting anyway. It records weight and success/failure for all the lifts from Stronglifts 5x5 plus you can add lifts into its database. It keeps track of your progress. I love it! It's also convenient to just carry your phone around versus other accessories (no offense to the pen and paper guys).
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I've used Fitocracy and Gym Goal, both of which are fine, and tried a few that aren't good at all but of course I don't remember which ones any more. (Skimble? I didn't like that one, if that's what it was called.) But now I just use a notebook and pen - it really is the most efficient solution. And there's no reason I can see to track weight training in MFP, so I don't bother.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I just keep pushing. I don't track anything on paper.
    My trainer does though. He has a lot of clients to track. Though je will have some big updates to do when I start up with him again. :bigsmile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I do Wendler's 5/3/1 and Periodization Bible for my assistance work. I use an Excel spreadsheet to lay out the plan and my weights to be used each workout for the entire 5 week cycle (I'm doing 3x weekly splits) and then print it out and put it in a notebook..make notes and such with pen.
  • Lessthanpenguins
    Lessthanpenguins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use a pen and paper at the gym and then put everything in fitocracy and JEFit at home on my tablet.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I do Wendler's 5/3/1 and Periodization Bible for my assistance work. I use an Excel spreadsheet to lay out the plan and my weights to be used each workout for the entire 5 week cycle (I'm doing 3x weekly splits) and then print it out and put it in a notebook..make notes and such with pen.

Was that one you found on the net, or did you use the info from the e-book to make your own?

I do something similar with one of All Pro's routines. Print a cycle of the spreadsheet and have it in the diary. Spreadsheet tells me what to lift and when and the diary records the outcome! It's a hybrid approach between the modern and the ancient (not sure it's totally nuclear holocaust-proof though)