Beginner Running?

Options
Hello all :)

Just looking for some advice from the pros! I am semi-fit, mostly weights. I need to learn to run! I've always wanted to be able to run long distance, but it seems like my breath gives out before my body. Any tips? How should I begin, and how should I progress?

Thanks in advance! Also, feel free to add for motivation and support.

Replies

• ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    there is a great program called couch 2 5 K that breaks down running into weeks where you slowly build up your stamina. Theres a free app for it as well. I'm on week 2!! Re-learning how to run! Good luck!!
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    there is a great program called couch 2 5 K that breaks down running into weeks where you slowly build up your stamina. Theres a free app for it as well. I'm on week 2!! Re-learning how to run! Good luck!!

I second C25K. I'm not a big runner myself, but I know this program is very helpful for beginners.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need to slow down a bit. It's a common mistake for new runners (I did it too!) to think you have to run full out but then you feel like you're going to pass out because you can't breathe. A couple ways I learned to slow down...

1) keep your feet under you. Kind of hard to explain but basiclaly don't try to run like a gazelle with those long graceful strides right from the start. Keep your stride short and make sure you land mid foot.

2) Pace your footfalls with your breathing. Depending on how aerobically fit you are, you can do 2 or three foot falls per inhale and exhale. Inhale as you land on your left food then right foot, exhale as you land left, right. Etc. I also tend to count as I do this to keep a good rhythm. I believe there are also certain music downloads you can get that go by certain paces if you like to listen as you run or just get a good song in your head and "play" it over and over.
  • Chrysy87
    Chrysy87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree C25k was an amazing app. They also have a couch to 10 k one too if you are interested in longer distances. The first half is basically the C25k program and then it builds from there. Great little apps!
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yep, C25K is a great place to start.

I'm on week 10 and went from struggling to run for a minute to running for 30 minutes plus.

It's been a huge benefit for me in terms of fitness and helping get to my goals. The best part is my 9 year old son rides his bike and comes with me for my runs. Fitness plus some "guy time" rolled into one, AND it gets him out and moving, too. :)

I highly recommend it. Just don't push too fast and stick with the program. It's designed to give your cardiovascular system as well as your joints/tendons/muscles time to adjust to the demands that running will place on them.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    As another said, just slow down!

You need to go slow in order to build up your endurance. After you've been running awhile like that, then you can start working on speed.

Run at a pace where you could carry on a conversation with someone.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It will take time to build up cardio endurance. Lots of folks sing the praises of C25K. . .I didn't use it. My basic approach was to find out how far I could run without passing out. . .and then work to improve on it. Part of improving the distance was SLOWING DOWN! Once you nail the desired distance (2 miles, 5k, half marathon. . . ) then work on getting faster at it.

It's not easy. You will be breathless, your legs will scream at you to quit, and you'll be sore after you run (legs, feet, back). . .but as you get stronger. . .you'll learn to at least tolerate it, if not fall in love with running. :-)

Good luck!!!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I've never done C25K but everyone I know who has done it has really enjoyed it.

I run a lot. I do longer runs on the weekends and during the week I run intervals and sprints to work on speed an endurance.

No matter what you decide - start small, and start slow. Running is excellent exercise but I think it's very mental, too. Once you get into that mindset you can become unstoppable.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Hello all :)

Just looking for some advice from the pros! I am semi-fit, mostly weights. I need to learn to run! I've always wanted to be able to run long distance, but it seems like my breath gives out before my body. Any tips? How should I begin, and how should I progress?

Thanks in advance! Also, feel free to add for motivation and support.

Not even close to a pro, but I've done 3 5ks in the past 3 months and have done each one a bit faster than the last.

My body tends to progress in leaps. So my cardio will make a leap and my breathing will be easy, but my legs will get tired before I get winded. Then my legs get caught up and surpass my breathing so I'm getting winded before my legs give out.

If your breath is giving out early in your runs, the simple answer is to slow down. C25k is a great place to start and the focus is entirely on just doing the distance/time, not on speed. Once you can run for 30 minutes straight, then you can focus on your times.

Good luck, it is a lot of fun if you stick with it.
  • coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    C25k for sure. I'm on Week 6 and just ran for 20 minutes straight for the first time! Make sure you go slow, and definitely keep your feet under you. I'm looking into the 10k program by the same app company next!
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    2) Pace your footfalls with your breathing. Depending on how aerobically fit you are, you can do 2 or three foot falls per inhale and exhale. Inhale as you land on your left food then right foot, exhale as you land left, right. Etc. I also tend to count as I do this to keep a good rhythm.

I've read this a lot, but I just cannot do it. Feels like I'm hyperventilating.

I tend to do four steps on inhale and two steps on exhale. It's easy breathing for me and seems natural. When I up the pace I breathe faster/deeper, but it doesn't change that much... Find what works for you and look up some videos on proper running form on YouTube. Building good habits early yields big benefits. Oh, and get good shoes. Many specialty running stores will assess your gait/pronation and recommend shoes that match.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Zombie5K for me. A Zombie apocalypse themed C25K. :D I won't say I'm a runner by any shot, but I've definitely running longer than I thought I would be. And definitely slow and steady. Distance and pace will come in time, you've got to build up and train for that. The 25K programs are good because they help you build up, and keep you progressing, give you measurables, a schedule, and a goal, which are very important to some people.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you aren't training in the proper heart rate zone. If you're running out of breath, you are in an unsustainable anaerobic zone and not doing your distance run game any favors. Try toning it down a bit - there is a big difference between training and performing! You should be able to carry a conversation at the pace you're running.
  • youareorange
    youareorange Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Running intervals is a great way to build endurance. You can try to run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute. Yes, if you are out of breath, you need to slow down and pace yourself - I'm still working on that! Good luck!
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k or there is also as mentioned the c25k zombie app. C25k is a free app and the Zombie c25k is I think $2. I like both. I also have the 10k app because my long term goal is to run a half.

I had tried running without these apps and always grew frustrated and failed. I have now run 5ks and will be doing a 10k soon.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Running intervals is a great way to build endurance. You can try to run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute. Yes, if you are out of breath, you need to slow down and pace yourself - I'm still working on that! Good luck!

Totally agree, but I think you need the base first before intervals will really make their presence felt. Just my take.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    First: SLOW DOWN! You're clearly running too fast if you're trying to go for distance.

Second: I love to run and do it about 3x per week. I didn't need to, but I did do the C25K program just to see what everyone was raving about and honestly it's a really good way to build up stamina for long distance runs. They keep you paced (10 min/mile) and build up your strength and stamina by slowly increasing your time and distance. I was so impressed I’m using the C2HM app now to help me train for my first half.
  • KymmyJoy
    KymmyJoy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've always done that 'girly' trotting around run if I've ever needed to make a train etc. and seem to have completely missed the stage in life where you learn to run properly. I feel like I run on my toes a lot and also my fitness and endurance have increased a lot lately, the thought of running still terrifies me. It must be like a morbid curiosity though because I'd love to get into it. Any advice for a total novice?

- Kymberley :)
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The biggest reason to slow down, IMHO, is that when you have to focus so much on your breathing, you will get sloppy in your form, and that leads to injury. If you are wanting to get into distance running you NEED good form. You can punch out a 5K with janky legs, but beyond that you could really hurt yourself. I really recommend building up your lungs/cardio health on the elliptical first, and the when you start running outside you can focus on your form and building strength in your legs. I'm no pro, but I was eager to run and injuries set me back over and over until I calmed down and listened to the people screaming "slow down!" and learned how to run properly. To improve your pace (once you get there) try running uphill!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    2) Pace your footfalls with your breathing. Depending on how aerobically fit you are, you can do 2 or three foot falls per inhale and exhale. Inhale as you land on your left food then right foot, exhale as you land left, right. Etc. I also tend to count as I do this to keep a good rhythm.

I've read this a lot, but I just cannot do it. Feels like I'm hyperventilating.

I tend to do four steps on inhale and two steps on exhale. It's easy breathing for me and seems natural. When I up the pace I breathe faster/deeper, but it doesn't change that much... Find what works for you and look up some videos on proper running form on YouTube. Building good habits early yields big benefits. Oh, and get good shoes. Many specialty running stores will assess your gait/pronation and recommend shoes that match.

I've always thought that trying to control an involuntary action like breathing is an exercise in futility. Let the body breathe like it wants to. You'll make yourself crazy thinking about how you are breathing. I think it's more important to focus on your form.

Are my shoulders relaxed?
    Am I taking small strides so my foot strike is under my center mass?
    Am I carrying my head and neck tall and erect?
    Am I letting my hands hand loose?

These are the types of things I'd rather think about than "breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out".