Does diet always matter?

Options
Hi all! I am 21 years old 5'6" 135lbs. I want to be tone and confident. Food has always been an issue as I would eat until I became sick. Weird thing is I topped out at 150. My weight would not go any higher but I ate alit and felt miserable.
My question is...I cheated and ate lots of goodies this past weekend...will this affect me any?
I still do zumba 5x 2week, hype class 5week weight training 3x week and tredmill 3x week. I want to be tone by July 27th. I am tryingto wat well its just the weekends that kill me.
Thanks!

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Yes, diet is most important when trying to lose weight. As long as your diet is in-order you can lose weight without exercising actually. It is typically hardest on the weekends because that is when people are most social. It's very hard to be social and eat well. Try and limit your cheat meals to once per weekend, if at all, until you've hit your goal. Find a calorie calculator online for TDEE that will help you understand what your calorie goals should be. The one on MFP is not good and require an HRM which is incredibly unnecessary and makes dieting harder than it has to be.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Yes, and others will argue. But a healthy diet that fits you that is nutritious will not only help you to lose weight, but to live a healthy, happy lifestyle. My wife and I eat healthy 95% of the time. However, we allow ourselves a guilt free snack or entree once in a while. Find out what works for you in the loooooooooooooong run.

My weight gain was due to serious injuries from accidents and meds. I can tell you, even in my state, it can be had.

I wish you the best and the worst thing you can do is hate yourself when you "cheat" or "fall", just move on as this is a lifestyle.

BigD CLC, LPC, SMC
  • tmblastquads
    Options
    Yeah, if you aren't tracking your macronutriets it's very difficult for you to achieve whatever goal you are going for. If you are at 150lb, , I'd say the safe amount to lose is 2lb per week, so maybe max of 20lb within your time frame.

Don't do anything extreme that you will not be able to maintain for over time. Yeah, in the short run, you might lose 20lb or so, but you will gain all of it back with extreme dieting.

As long as you stay within your caloric and macronutrient range on daily basis, you can eat "cheat" food and still achieve goals.

Good luck
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, diet matters, along with total energy expenditure. If you eat more calories than you burn, you'll put on weight.
    That said, it's not likely that one weekend will totally sink you. It's the average over time, so if you eat 1000 calories over on the weekend, try to eat 200 calories under on the weekdays, and you should be fine.
  • jimbo2180
    jimbo2180 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've always been told is 70% diet. 30% exercise.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Diet always matters.

Will it derail you for life if you had a freebie weekend - no. Will repeat weekend binges affect you - I think so.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am 21 years old 5'6" 135lbs. I want to be tone and confident. Food has always been an issue as I would eat until I became sick. Weird thing is I topped out at 150. My weight would not go any higher but I ate alit and felt miserable.
    My question is...I cheated and ate lots of goodies this past weekend...will this affect me any?
    I still do zumba 5x 2week, hype class 5week weight training 3x week and tredmill 3x week. I want to be tone by July 27th. I am tryingto wat well its just the weekends that kill me.
    Thanks!

Yes, it will. The question of how much depends on a variety of factors.
  • dieseltruckgurl21
    Options
    Thank you all!!!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Yes :smile: You can't exercise away a poor diet.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Depends.

Exhibit more self control, diet always matters.