Help - people with low body fat % / who are lowering!

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm at a stage where my weight doesn't factor now in to my goals - and what I'd really like to do is lower my body fat % so that I can start seeing more definition.

I'm looking for help from people who have actively done this, as I'd like to know what your day to day menus are like in order to achieve this?

I also currently do 3x Les Mills Body Pump and one Body Attack class per week (this is minimum, I will sometimes add free sessions in the gym on top of this).

Any help would be greatly appreciated :flowerforyou:

Emma x

Replies

• CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    hi there:) first off, congrats! You're in a good place if that's your goal.

I'm working on this too, I'm at about 107lbs and floating somewhere around 10-15% body fat. I've been talking to a lot of the more experienced ladies on here, and they've been a fantastic resource. What they recommended to me is focusing more on protein intake, keeping sugar intake low, and implementing more weight training into workouts. I'm between 1700 and 1800 calories. I've been doing that for the last few weeks, and I'd like to think it's working! I'm doing Julian Michael's Ripped in 30 program right now 6 days a week, run regularly, and do basic weight training. There are a lot of good youtube tutorials on how to do the weight thing (I know I had no clue when I started).

Feel free to add me, and we can plow through this together :happy:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I was on a "Cut" the past 6 weeks. I dropped from a 13.5% BF to just over 11%

During that time I was very consistent in working out. I usually eat fairly healthy, but I just kept an little closer eye on my eating.

Breakfast- 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs & a banana

Snack-Greek yogurt

Lunch-Carrots, cucumbers, grapes, strawberries, cheese stick, sunflower seeds

Snack- apple, sometimes pistachios

Dinner- Meat (Venison, chicken, fish or pork), frozen veggies, occasionally some rice added in

Snack- Ice cream, trail mix or a bowl of cereal.

My typical week's workout is running 5-6 miles 3x week. Plus strength training.
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options

I'm working on this too, I'm at about 107lbs and floating somewhere around 10-15% body fat. I've been talking to a lot of the more experienced ladies on here, and they've been a fantastic resource. What they recommended to me is focusing more on protein intake, keeping sugar intake low, and implementing more weight training into workouts. I'm between 1700 and 1800 calories. I've been doing that for the last few weeks, and I'd like to think it's working! I'm doing Julian Michael's Ripped in 30 program right now 6 days a week, run regularly, and do basic weight training. There are a lot of good youtube tutorials on how to do the weight thing (I know I had no clue when I started).

A body fat percentage of 10% is very unhealthy for a woman
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options
    Somewhere I missed the part of her asking for your opinion on what a healthy body fat range was.

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Interested in replies as well. I've limited my sugars/fats to <30(ish)g/day and ramped up my workouts. I'm currently between 9-11% BF and have been pretty pleased with the results, but just curious as to what really matters. I've got a friend who does competitions and she told me to cut fruits/dairy and to eat less "crap" snacks throughout the day, and that 5% isn't a long term sustainable %.
  • emarose90
    emarose90 Posts: 52
    Options
    What they recommended to me is focusing more on protein intake, keeping sugar intake low, and implementing more weight training into workouts. I'm between 1700 and 1800 calories. I've been doing that for the last few weeks, and I'd like to think it's working! I'm doing Julian Michael's Ripped in 30 program right now 6 days a week, run regularly, and do basic weight training. There are a lot of good youtube tutorials on how to do the weight thing (I know I had no clue when I started).

Thank you for the input! I have done 30DS before and liked that, so I might get Ripped In 30 to change things up. My calories are similar to you too. Do you drink protein shakes or try to get it from actual food?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

LOL says who?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    small deficit (TDEE -10%, or 0.5lbs/week), heavy lifting (not body pump), adequate protein intake (aim for 1 gram per lb of lean body mass, of 0.8 grams per lb of body weight), and time.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A good balance of fats, carbs and protein. I need fats for a variety of basic body functions, I need protein to sustain muscle (amongst other things), and I need carbs to kick *kitten* in my workouts.

A typical day for me would be something like...

Lunch: chicken parmesan
    Snack: apple, banana, peanut butter
    Dinner: steak, sweet potato, milk
    Post workout: protein shake
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options

I just don't want anyone to get ill :(
    Anything under 20% body fat for a women is supposed to put her in danger of losing her fertility.

This is not something I made up, I heard it from countless resources and dieticians with degrees in this subject.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

LOL says who?

Essential fat on a woman ranges from 9-13%, too low and no flow, among other hormonal issues.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

LOL says who?

I think the benchmark for unhealthy for a woman is where you lose your period: around 10% bf and below. 20%-30% is classified "healthy," around 16% is classified "athlete." Does that mean "athletes" aren't healthy? I am a little unclear on this also. I keep in the "athlete" range on the assumption that "healthy" is a bit of a misnomer if "athlete" is right below it.
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options

LOL says who?

I think the benchmark for unhealthy for a woman is where you lose your period: around 10% bf and below. 20%-30% is classified "healthy," around 16% is classified "athlete." Does that mean "athletes" aren't healthy? I am a little unclear on this also. I keep in the "athlete" range on the assumption that "healthy" is a bit of a misnomer if "athlete" is right below it.

Yes I think with athletes they don't really fit the guidelines, like body builders do not fit the guidelines for BMI
    But assuming that the average woman is not an athlete, then it is quite low.
  • RobynLB83
    Options

LOL says who?

Yes I think with athletes they don't really fit the guidelines, like body builders do not fit the guidelines for BMI

I'm an "athlete" by the other guidelines I've found. I train hard 10 or more hours per week, and have a RHR in the 50's- mid 60's.
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yeah 10% is way too low for a woman. Google it and you'll see what healthy body fat ranges are for your age and sex. For me I'm trying to get around 20-22% body fat. I've been doing insanity and watching what I eat. I'm pretty close at 23.6% so I figure I have to lose about 4 more pounds to get to where I need to be. I eat a lot of lean proteins.
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options

LOL says who?

I'm an "athlete" by the other guidelines I've found. I train hard 10 or more hours per week, and have a RHR in the 50's- mid 60's.

Well that's fair enough! I didn't mean it to sound like I was targeting you, I don't know anything about you!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this also! I am stuck at 27% but am not big framed so it's not like I'm meant to be there. I used to be 145 lbs and 15% body fat (and loved it). Now I'm at 141 lbs and 27% body fat (and NOT loving it). Any help would be appreciated.

Right now, I'm cutting down on carbs and trying to up the protein. What are suggestions for the carb/fat/protein ratios that have worked for you? I usually go over on fats as I eat an ounce of almonds with my greek yogurt in the morning and I will grab an ounce of cashews/almonds/macademia nuts as an afternoon snack. I use casein whey protein with almond milk after a workout. No eating or snacking after 7:00 pm.

How long and what type of workouts do you suggest? Right now I do the eliptical, walking or hip hop abs. I have a bow flex, but feel overwhelmed by it and what would be best. I had a frozen shoulder years ago and too much weight lifting annoys it, but maybe my form is wrong. Help! Feel free to friend request me if you can help me out with this!
  • RobynLB83
    Options
    What has worked for me to cut bf % is: high intensity training: boxing and circuit training (90 minutes per day 6-7 days per week), combined with about 100 grams protein per day and between 100 - 150 grams carbs. My bf will dip down from around 16% to 11% - 13% with about a month of this regime. I don't feel so hot though, I STILL don't have a 6-pack, and my boobs look really sad.
  • CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    What they recommended to me is focusing more on protein intake, keeping sugar intake low, and implementing more weight training into workouts. I'm between 1700 and 1800 calories. I've been doing that for the last few weeks, and I'd like to think it's working! I'm doing Julian Michael's Ripped in 30 program right now 6 days a week, run regularly, and do basic weight training. There are a lot of good youtube tutorials on how to do the weight thing (I know I had no clue when I started).

Thank you for the input! I have done 30DS before and liked that, so I might get Ripped In 30 to change things up. My calories are similar to you too. Do you drink protein shakes or try to get it from actual food?

You're very welcome, glad I can help! I haven't done 30DS but I hear Ri30 is better if you're looking for definition:) seems like a lot of people do them consecutively too, so you're on track there. I don't do the protein shake thing or supplements, but I've considered trying it sometime. Right now I just get it from meals.

To the folks saying I'm at an unhealthy range: mind your own business. It's folks like you that keep me working hard every time I hit the gym. My mom was smaller than I am now well into her 40s, it's a genetic thing. Bite me.
  • emailishare
    Options
    BTW, congrats to the 51lb's lost of the previous poster! Go you!

I am in a similar place: weight is fine, want to shift body composition to more muscle, less fat. More definition in my arms, please, less circumference in my hips!

Question #1, Measurement: how are you all measuring body fat? I did a calipers test and it seemed very estimated and subjective. I believe that the number was in the very rough range of accuracy, but not enough to be useful.

Question #2, Cardio: Where does cardio fit? Is anyone doing HIIT? Where can I find a good HIIT program to follow?

Question #3, Weigh training: What is really meant by "weight training?" I am doing strength training 3x week in an *kitten*-kicking 1-hour barre/boot camp class, but it mostly uses body weight resistance and 5-lb dumbells, and the high number of reps without rest achieve that point of exhaustion. Should we be lifting very heavy things too? What are we missing if we're just doing a bootcamp + HIIT?

Question #4, Diet: I eat net 1,240/day net of exercise, which MFP recommends for someone of my height and weight looking to maintain current weight. I also follow the basic Carb/Protein/Fat/Fiber balance (62 / 17 / 15 / 5%) recommended. Are you guys saying to increase protein, and reduce the sugars and white carbs in that carb #? One of my barre instructors scolded me for drinking a 16g whey protein shake after class once - she said I was going to damage my liver with too much protein.

Help! No idea why it's THIS HARD to shift the fat off my lower half. I'm thinking now that it's not because I need to do anything more hard core, I just need to be doing something a little differently.