new to strength training....

Options
i just started using weights at home. Nothing too heavy, just 2 x 10 lbs in each hand for squats, lunges, curls etc.

I've never used weights before and have managed to lose 30 lbs with just cardio & diet, but I haven't gotten the results I desire so I thought Id try adding some weights.

I have a few questions....

First if all, Im surprised I find the 10lb. weights so heavy After the first set. My son is 37lbs and I have no problem carrying him around for long periods of time. Why do I feel so fatigued after lifting two 10 lb. Dumbells?

How many reps should i be doing? I've being doing 3 sets of 12 reps...

Should i be lifting slowly?

When should I increase the weight?

I should also mention that the arm exercises are easier to do withthe weights, but the squat and lunges are a lot more to get use to. I was suprised since i feel my legs are quite strong from running.

Replies

• FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    First if all, Im surprised I find the 10lb. weights so heavy After the first set. My son is 37lbs and I have no problem carrying him around for long periods of time. Why do I feel so fatigued after lifting two 10 lb. Dumbells?

Because you are talking about static holds using multiple mucles instead of isolating just one muscle with a dumbbell exercise

Thats fine since you are using such light weight, what exercises are you doing with these dumbbells?

If you want to, muscle stretch and contraction will help the muscles grow. Going slow assures you are isolating the muscles you think you are.

If you can finish all three sets without feeling you are going to fail or hitting failure its time to increase the weight
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I just found this new site because I want to start lifting weight (3-5lbs for now) and I want instruction at home to do it correctly. Check out Fitness Blender its free and there is a part in there that you can select what type of workout you want to to. I have always done Jillian videos but I did a total body and a leg one on this site on Sunday and I still hurt two days later!! I mean good pain like I have built muscle.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options

Because you are talking about static holds using multiple mucles instead of isolating just one muscle with a dumbbell exercise

Thats fine since you are using such light weight, what exercises are you doing with these dumbbells?

If you want to, muscle stretch and contraction will help the muscles grow. Going slow assures you are isolating the muscles you think you are.

If you can finish all three sets without feeling you are going to fail or hitting failure its time to increase the weight

When is is considered "lifting Heavy"? Is a gym required to do so and is it good to start off with light weights as I am doing?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

When is is considered "lifting Heavy"? Is a gym required to do so and is it good to start off with light weights as I am doing?

"heavy" is a relative term. When people say they're lifting "heavy" it is generally in reference to a strength program rather than a body building/hypertrophy program. "Heavy" is generally synonymous with low reps, "heavy" weight. Two common formats are 3x5 and 5x5...programs like Starting Strength and Strong Lifts 5x5 use these formats and are progressive in nature. They generally have you starting out pretty light, but you load more weight every workout until you get to the point where you're pretty much at failure and your final reps.

You need to be doing an actual program if you want the best results...there are a ton of them out there, but they will tell you what kind of lifts you should be doing and how much weight...when to increase, etc...it'll all depend on the program. You shouldn't be doing your own thing right now because you simply don't have the knowledge base to put together an effective routine.

Look into New Rules of Lifting for Women. My wife is doing that and really likes it. If I remember correctly, it's more moderate weight, higher reps for physique work, but still incorporates the big, full body compound lifts that should anchor any good routine.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

This.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

agreed.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options

Heavy is the term used when doing strength training.. strength training, typically, is performing reps of 6 or less per set (simply because you can't manage more reps)