Its been forever since I bought a Bike HELP!

Options
Colliex3
Colliex3 Posts: 328 Member
I need to go buy a bike but its been forever what would be the best kind for roads and trails(some rough trails some not)?

Replies

• resistance_freak
    Options
    Colliex3,

My experience is there's not really a bike that's good for road AND trails. There are "hybrid" bikes that claim to be suitable for road biking and trail riding, but in my opinion you would be better off either getting a mountain bike if you're going to be doing mostly trail riding (which it sounded like from your post), or get a road bike if you want to ride on the road.

The other thing I'll say is that you CAN use a mountain bike for riding on the road, but you definitely cannot use a road bike for trail riding. So that may make the decision easier for you.
  • Colliex3
    Options
    Thank you Dennis! that did help abit, and i think Trails is were im headed more because im still a bit self-conscious. :)
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    Next decision can be a lot more complicated: Which bike to get?

Feel free to message me for more thoughts on this if you want.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'd buy a mountain bike (hard tail). It's an entry-level style bike. Usually mountain bikes come with large knobby tires. If you feel like the tires are slowing you down, you can always switch those out of hybrid tires. Just don't buy a bike from Walmart, Target, etc. Those bikes are so heavy. Try to find a bike that isn't made out of steel (aluminum should be fine for your purposes).
  • rlbs
    rlbs Posts: 14
    Options
    If you have a local bike shop, go there and talk to them about where you want to ride (no obligation to buy, in fact I'd tell them you are not ready to buy, just getting information and prices). Even REI and the larger sporting goods stores have pretty good bike departments if you don't have a dedicated bike shop in your area. A true road bike will not work on rough dirt trails, and a true mountain bike is not going to be very comfortable or fast on the road. Where I live, we have a lot of paved and gravel bike paths, for these a hybrid would actually work just fine and is what most people here ride on them. So it really depends on where you are going to do the majority of your riding. I have a road bike and a hybrid with knobby mountain bike tires, and between them, I can ride pretty much anywhere in my area except the very technical mountain biking trails. good luck and enjoy riding!
  • Colliex3
    Options
    I'd buy a mountain bike (hard tail). It's an entry-level style bike. Usually mountain bikes come with large knobby tires. If you feel like the tires are slowing you down, you can always switch those out of hybrid tires. Just don't buy a bike from Walmart, Target, etc. Those bikes are so heavy. Try to find a bike that isn't made out of steel (aluminum should be fine for your purposes).

I think those bikes are cheap my cousin had to get two in the course of 4 months because they would fall apart. thanks for the advice :)
  • Colliex3
    Options
    If you have a local bike shop, go there and talk to them about where you want to ride (no obligation to buy, in fact I'd tell them you are not ready to buy, just getting information and prices). Even REI and the larger sporting goods stores have pretty good bike departments if you don't have a dedicated bike shop in your area. A true road bike will not work on rough dirt trails, and a true mountain bike is not going to be very comfortable or fast on the road. Where I live, we have a lot of paved and gravel bike paths, for these a hybrid would actually work just fine and is what most people here ride on them. So it really depends on where you are going to do the majority of your riding. I have a road bike and a hybrid with knobby mountain bike tires, and between them, I can ride pretty much anywhere in my area except the very technical mountain biking trails. good luck and enjoy riding!
    Well its a mixture of both that ill be doing my riding on... and im moving to Colorado so I have no idea what the trails are like there.
  • InspiredSAM
    InspiredSAM Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Too funny...I was just telling my husband it's about time to buy bikes for us. Our daughter just learned how to ride a bike and we bought her the first "big" girl bike that will fit her through most (hopefully all) of elementary school.

I'd love to know what you learn with your research. I'd like a nice bike, but really don't want to spend thousands of dollars to basically ride around the neighborhood. I've heard bikes at Walmart/Target are heavy crap too, so I'm not sure there is a good AND cheap option out there.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who said to go to a bike shop and tell them what you want to do.

Don't buy a cheap bike, because it won't perform the way you want, and then you won't want to ride it....so you'll just be throwing your money away.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Steel is real. AU is good too.

Stop into your Local Bike Shop (LBS), or all of them if you have multiples. Take test rides, talk to staff, etc. Then further research online, then work with them to try and bring the price down.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My wife has a Giant Talon and I have a Haro (though the model escapes me). Front and rear hydraulic disc brakes. Amazing bikes.

I love our mountain bikes and we've put some good, hard miles on them. The mountain bike, IMO, will be your best bet. Not ideal for road travel (lots of resistance, etc), but like previously mentioned, can go places where you would destroy yourself or your road bike on. And so what if you get a better workout while on the road? More calories burnt, no?

Just please don't forget to get a good helmet and always wear it. So what if it's $50-70? What does it cost to treat a brain injury? WAY more than $50-70... I'm also a fan of gloves, but that's probably a bit more of a personal preference.
  • Colliex3
    Options
    My wife has a Giant Talon and I have a Haro (though the model escapes me). Front and rear hydraulic disc brakes. Amazing bikes.

I love our mountain bikes and we've put some good, hard miles on them. The mountain bike, IMO, will be your best bet. Not ideal for road travel (lots of resistance, etc), but like previously mentioned, can go places where you would destroy yourself or your road bike on. And so what if you get a better workout while on the road? More calories burnt, no?

Just please don't forget to get a good helmet and always wear it. So what if it's $50-70? What does it cost to treat a brain injury? WAY more than $50-70... I'm also a fan of gloves, but that's probably a bit more of a personal preference.

I used to hate helmets but its better to look a fool then be sorry.. Thanks for the opinions :)
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    What do you do most? I thought my Hybrid would do it all, so I put hard/fast road tires on it. After a few years, I did so little trail riding I bought a carbon road bike. My next bike will be a Mountain bike just for the GREAT trails in Central CA.

Bikes are SO good these days, for $1,200 you could get starter mountain bike and a road bike.

Also ask friends and neighbors who ride allot. They may know of great Craigslist deals.

The fun part about bike shops is you get to test all the different brands.
  • Colliex3
    Options
    What do you do most? I thought my Hybrid would do it all, so I put hard/fast road tires on it. After a few years, I did so little trail riding I bought a carbon road bike. My next bike will be a Mountain bike just for the GREAT trails in Central CA.

Bikes are SO good these days, for $1,200 you could get starter mountain bike and a road bike.

Also ask friends and neighbors who ride allot. They may know of great Craigslist deals.

The fun part about bike shops is you get to test all the different brands.

It is fun testing them all lol, as for what I want to do most im not 100% because its been so long, im leaning more towards off road but idk if im ready for that yet lol
  • becauseofholly
    becauseofholly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well its a mixture of both that ill be doing my riding on... and im moving to Colorado so I have no idea what the trails are like there.

What part of CO? I live in Denver and just bought a hybrid this weekend. I don't plan on riding in the mountains, and there are a lot of paved trails throughout town.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options

Stop into your Local Bike Shop (LBS), or all of them if you have multiples. Take test rides, talk to staff, etc. Then further research online, then work with them to try and bring the price down.

^This...don't go to a Target, Walmart ect., go to a local bike shop that carry's Trek, GT, Gary Fisher, Kona and some reputable name brands. You have to spend money up front or else you will be spending money on fixing the damn thing. I would say for a beginner a good price point would be between $300-$600. I know it seems crazy but it will save you in the end. You really need to try some out figure out what best works for you and go from there.
  • Colliex3
    Options

What part of CO? I live in Denver and just bought a hybrid this weekend. I don't plan on riding in the mountains, and there are a lot of paved trails throughout town.

We are looking in Monument right now..
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

My mountain bike has hybrid tires and it's perfect for some light off trail riding.

And yes, road bikes CANNOT go off road. I have to agree, go to a bike shop and talk to someone in the know. You can spend thousands all the way down to a $400 or so for a decent bike. It's worth spending more on a nicer bike, remembering that a nice bike will last as long as you need it.
  • KenW72
    KenW72 Posts: 3
    Options
    One option that I don't think has been discussed yet is a cyclocross bike. It's basically a road bike with bigger tires (knobby even), cantilever brakes, lower gearing, and a higher bottom bracket. Faster on the road but less cushy on the trails than a mountain bike. Just an option.

Unless you like to ride really fast or just like the geometry of a road bike, I'd almost always recommend a mountain bike for someone doing mixed riding. But if you like to ride fast on the road but also mix it up on the trails a cyclocross bike is a good option.

- Ken
  • Colliex3
    Options

^This...don't go to a Target, Walmart ect., go to a local bike shop that carry's Trek, GT, Gary Fisher, Kona and some reputable name brands. You have to spend money up front or else you will be spending money on fixing the damn thing. I would say for a beginner a good price point would be between $300-$600. I know it seems crazy but it will save you in the end. You really need to try some out figure out what best works for you and go from there.

I know I have a Bike shop somewhere near thats were my parents bought my younger siblings bikes. Gonna have to take a trip out there to look at their bikes.