Is diet soda addictive? Can it increase appetite?

Options
Hey everyone,
I rarely, rarely, rarely drink soda, but I had some friends over last weekend for root beer floats. Because all the regular root beer I could find had high fructose corn syrup, I opted for the diet kind (despite the aspartame, but hey, no calories). There was some left over, and I'm a poor graduate student, so I decided to not pour money down the drain and instead, indulge a little. Wow! Am I going crazy or is this stuff addictive? I drank the rest of it, and for the next few days, I noticed that I was not only ravenous, but that I craved more soda. I have fortunately resisted the urge to buy or drink any more (and it's all gone now anyway), but I am just shocked at the effect it seemed to have on my body!

So, what are the facts? Is this stuff addictive and hunger-inducing or what?

Thanks!
Emma

Replies

• Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I drink a ton of crystal light. It tastes just like sugar to me and I chug it cause I'm hungry all the time...
  • shrimpy8818
    Options
    I think it is, but I am not sure exactly why. I know that I feel the same way when it come to regular soda. It was really hard for me to stop drinking it. Thankfully, I have the will power to say no to soda these days. If I find I do have a craving for it that I can't stop, I buy only a can.
  • katiej080810
    Options
    It's funny but I find the opposite to be true. I usually drink one diet soda per day and I have it in my trouble time of 2-4 pm. It seems to actually turn off my appetite so I can make it through until dinner. This is a relatively new thing I have been trying...before 2 weeks ago I never bought soda and only drank one if I was out to eat.
  • shrimpy8818
    Options
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think that the addiction/increase in appetite is a mental thing. But, it really doesn't matter if it is an actual real thing or not. If you feel like your appetite is bigger whether you are really hungry or not, it could prompt you to eat more. And if you feel like you are addicted whether you will experience with drawl or not when you quit them, then it's unlikely you will find a good reason to quit drinking diet sodas. Personally I don't find anything wrong with the zero calorie drinks or the 5 calorie Crystal Light or their types. But, if they are a trigger then obviously stay away from them.