Trying New Vegetables

Options
As of recently, I'm trying to expand my palette in terms of trying new things and incorporating new foods into my diet. The vegetables I eat the most are carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, green beans and red peppers. I'm open to trying new things. What are some other vegetables I could be having with my dinners?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I love Brussels Sprouts, particularly roasted in some olive oil in the oven. Also a big fan or artichoke, but that's usually a special occasion veg for me because they can be a little pricey...not an every day staple veg. I also can't have a salad without radishes. I cook with a lot of onions, leeks, garlic, etc as well.
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    How do you go about cooking leeks? Keeping in mind, I'm not the best chef in the world. I know the basics of cooking.
  • jangier
    jangier Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan right now of asparagus and zucchini, both can be cooked on the grill together! My 4 year old daughter tried and liked both too, which must mean they are good!
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    How about some squash? Summer is coming up and zucchini and summer squash will be everywhere. Those are some of the easiest vegetables to grow too. Another idea would be some eggplant people love eggplant Parmesan.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I have really gotten into brussel sprouts lately. There is also zucchini, which you can cut in half lengthwise, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and bake in your oven. I saute yellow squash with onions.
  • jbronowski
    jbronowski Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of steaming asparagus or brussel spouts (buy the steamable frozen bags, or steam fresh veggies in a steaming tray over boiling water). I like to add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and black pepper for great flavor.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    love love love mushrooms. every kind in the world. i made a delicious shiiitake mushroom risotto last night. mmm.
  • CassandraChloeJ
    CassandraChloeJ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Zucchini, yellow squash, onions and mushrooms are staples on my grocery list. I also love asparagus but don't buy it regularly. Go with some in-season items as well. They are cheaper. Go to your local farmer's market and just take a look at all the goodies they have out. That is what will be in season. Some of the sellers are more than happy to tell you ways to cook the items you purchase too.
  • knjitters
    knjitters Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been addicted to asparagus and mushrooms lately.... throw in some tin foil with olive oil and some spices then on the grill.. so good!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big fan of summer squash, zucchini, and pretty much any other kind of squash. Asparagus is another go to for me, as are peas...either regular old green peas or sugar snap peas... oddly not a fan of snow peas, except for sometimes.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Leafy greens like kale, chard, spinach, and bok choy. Root vegetables like beets, sweet potatoes, turnips, radishes and parsnips. Spring veggies (in season now so cheaper!) like asparagus, sugar snap peas and various lettuces.

All of these have their own health values so you always want to have a variety. Websites like AllRecipes.com are a great resource for preparation ideas.

To cook leeks, cut them in half lengthways first, then slice in about 1/8"-1/4" slices, put in a collander and rinse really well (lots of sand between the layers). Heat a skillet on medium heat and put about a tablespoon of olive oil in it, saute the leeks until tender. I like them best mixed with other vegetables or in soups.

I love to cook - you can add me if you want and if you have cooking questions I'll help you the best I can.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I am a huge fan right now of asparagus and zucchini, both can be cooked on the grill together!

These two for sure and off the grill are best. Asparagus are being grown around local farms right now so go to a Farmer's Market.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i just discovered my love for celery and squash never had it growing up because my mom dont like them tried them the first time this year and fell in love having them now at least once a week
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I love bok choy, its my new favorite... its a really mild cabbage, and works awesome in stir fry's because it stays a little crispy (or crunchy) even after cooked, and even shredded like cabbage for coleslaw...
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Asparagus!! I LOVE it. All I do is snap the woody bits of at the bottom, they snap at the right point automatically, pop them in a plastic microwaveable container with a cm or two of water in the bottom and microwave for 2-3 minutes.
    I also love beetroot. I buy the stuff that's vacuum packed from the supermarket. Feel free to look in my diary.
    Both are nutritious and low cal
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1. lima beans
    2, zucchini
    3, asparagus
    4, broccoli
    5. cauliflour
    6. spaghetti squash
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites that you haven't listed already are asparagus, zucchini, and mushrooms.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    parsnips! roast with onions and carrots in the oven!

salad with chopped kale/chopped Brussels sprouts, walnuts, carrots, shaved red onion, top with olive oil and lemon!

chopped radishes and carrots and cabbage, top with mango and avocado and lime juice, yummmm!

spaghetti squash! Roast the whole squash in oven at 400 about 1 hour. Cut in half, scoop out seeds (you can always rinse and save them for toasting in oven and eating like a snack!0. pour 2 tbsp. olive oil over the top, and roast with cut sides up another 15. Now you have a base for many recipes, replace pasta or rice with spaghetti squash, it goes well with savory dishes, extra points for sneaking in veggie instead of processed carbs! You could roast some red bell peppers, peel off burnt outer skin, and put in blender with some roasted garlic, olive oil, and some milk, heat, add a sprinkle of cheese, pour over spaghetti squash with some spinach and mushrooms.... yum!

grill romaine lettuce for a side!! (make a vinegraitte and add some other fruits/veggies!)

roast asparagus with olive oil, garlic, lemon, and little parmesan (wrap in prosciutto if you wanna be decadent.... you probably do, its delicious)

roasted beets with some goat cheese (slice the beets super thin, roast in oven around 400 with some olive oil and pepper, with a lil creamy goat cheese, maybe some spinach, some orange zest.... tastttttyyy!)

are you hungry yet? Love dem veggies!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    How do you go about cooking leeks? Keeping in mind, I'm not the best chef in the world. I know the basics of cooking.

Sautee them in butter and garlic. There are also recipes that involve putting them in quiche, casseroles, soups, and the new word that I learned "frittata." Frittata. It's just a fun word. And it's delicious. : )

If you've got access to a farmers market and you like garlic scapes are also delicious sauteed in a bit of butter. The scapes are the long leafy parts of the garlic that stick out of the ground. They have a more subtle garlic taste.

Delving into the more obscure and weird:

- fiddlehead ferns - kind of like asparagus, but better ( sautee)
    - Jicama (HICK-commah)- like a HUGE water chestnut, sort of. Crunchy. Good in salads (eaten raw)
    - mini bell peppers - can be stuffed with all sorts of stuff. prepared raw or baked
    - corn - with a bit of butter, parmesan cheese and either Chef Paul's Blackened Redfish seasoning or Chef Tony's salt
    - spaghetti squash or acorn squash when they're in season. (grilled or cut in half, baked face down, then served sweet or savory.
    - Patty-pan squash - with thin skinned squash, smaller is tender and tender is better - steamed/sauteed

:)
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sauteed brussel sprouts, creamed spinach and asparagus w/blue cheese.