Body Pump -calories burned

Options
I was wondering how to log the popular BodyPump workout (I take it at Goodlife but I think its Les Mils? and also 24 hour fitness) From what I've gathered online, almost everybody said they burn 200-400 calories (depending on age, size, and weights lifted) but my instructor told us between 500-800 calories! The calories on the description of the class at Goodlife also says 500+ calories so I'm confused... does anyone else take it, and if so how do you log it!

Replies

• firesoul19
    firesoul19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I usually just log it as circuit training, and deduct time for stretching at the end of class. (So around 50-55 mins for a 60 min class). I figure it's in the ballpark even though there's a little rest between muscle groups.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Though heart rate monitors aren't the best for weight training, BodyPump isn't typical weight training either. When I've taken it, my heart rate monitor has reported 240-400 calories max.

I can't imagine burning 800 calories in BodyPump. The only time I've come close is a Boot Camp with nonstop movement that left me a shaky, sopping pile of sweat on the floor - not the experience I've had in Pump ;)
  • drigsby24
    drigsby24 Posts: 1
    Options
    I log it as circuit training, as well. Even though the class is an hour, I usually log 45-50 minutes, because the last 10 minutes of our class is an ab workout.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I usually log it as strength training, but I just got a HRM. I'm interested to see what I actually burn!
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I take it at Gold's - I use an HRM and generally burn around 300 calories (I'm 5 '4' and about 165); BUT I'll burn more if I do some cardio before hand and get my heart pumping. :)
  • Iri6ka
    Iri6ka Posts: 3
    Options
    I just bought Polar HRM and took it BodyPump class (GoodLife), I burned 387 cal. Since I just started I had 5kg most of the time and stopped couple of time...Lounges are killing me. I am 5'3 and 159 lbs.

I was not happy with that number and jumped on Eliptical to burn some additional cal. I highly recommend HRM...I think it's a great tool not only to keep track of your calories but also a great motivator to push yourself.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Different GPS watches always have me very low, both Garmin and Polar. Today I burned 166 in 1 hr of BodyPump (and I go heavy), 5'4", 119 lbs.
  • bramble345
    bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I generally log as 200-250 for a 45 minute class.....depending how hard i felt i worked:smile: