Trying New Vegetables

Options
2»

Replies

• JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have never tried brussel sprouts. I have Always wanted to. Just not sure how to prepare most of these things, keeping in mind I'm still trying to keep everything relatively healthy without loading it with oil and cheese.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes-peeled and roasted with a little olive oil and salt/pepper/chili powder and another vote for brussel sprouts..they are awesome roasted with olive oil and tossed with pine nuts and dried cranberries. YUM.
  • jenine4366
    jenine4366 Posts: 11
    Options
    Most of the vegetables listed are good sauteed with with a little bit of butter/olive oil and garlic. You don't have to use a ton of oil or butter, just enough to keep them from burning and a little bit of fat is good for you. Generally I get my fats from cooking my vegetables like this and from lean meats. I don't really eat a lot of other high fat foods.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts, Asparagus,
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I love Brussels Sprouts, particularly roasted in some olive oil in the oven. Also a big fan or artichoke, but that's usually a special occasion veg for me because they can be a little pricey...not an every day staple veg. I also can't have a salad without radishes. I cook with a lot of onions, leeks, garlic, etc as well.

All these things! Oh man, if you can get baby artichokes, you slice them thin on a mandoline, toss in a little olive oil, roast at 500F until browned, and plow through them with some lemon juice, on a patio somewhere overlooking water... or a wading pool. Doesn't matter because it will be delicious.

OP - I you are down with the broccoli, try romanesco, really good italian broccoli/cauliflower mix.

Squashes are good. Squash blossoms if you can get them. Zucchinis.
    Italian eggplants. Man, eat all the veg.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Edamme beans if no one has mentioned them, yellow and green squash, string beans, peas, and all those other good things folks have mentioned.
  • myfrogs11
    myfrogs11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Browse your produce section a bit. Pick up something new every week and then just google a good recipe. Pretty much anything is good roasted or grilled. Learn the basics of a vinaigrette and then you can sub out different vinegar, herbs etc to dress anything up as well.

Also take your favorites, the ones you're already eating and find new ways to prepare. Mashed cauliflower, roasted cauliflower - both DELICIOUS yet different tasting than plain cauliflower. Blanch fresh green beans and add a bit of sesame oil and seeds. Sesame oil is potent so you just need a little, but the flavor is SO good!
  • Tishrei
    Tishrei Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    right now I'm all about the mushrooms. roast them with some olive oil and sea salt. or add some balsamic vinegar. or grill them. or saute with shallots and toss in some baby bok choy, and a bit of tamari soy sauce. so filling!
    I also love steamed string beans, and now that I can get some good romaine lettuce that doesnt taste like plastic, I try to have a nice leafy salad at least once a day.
    or cut up cucumbers/tomatoes and toss with lemon juice and some scallions, salt and pepper.
    roast grape tomatoes with some olive oil, sea salt and minced garlic.
    you can also dress blanched string beans with a bit of sesame oil, umi plum vinegar and tamari soy sauce. they keep for a couple of days that way and are good cold, so you can make in advance.
    sometimes I'll slice vidalia onions, sprinkle with olive oil and sea salt and roast. they take a while but are so sweet.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Roasted eggplant is really easy. I make it pretty much like this, but instead of tossing I just sprinkle with seasonings: http://southernfood.about.com/od/eggplantrecipes/r/r70502a.htm
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    thistimewillbedifferent Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great ideas already! I would add remember that you can use raw spinach as a base for a salad instead of regular lettuce; I also use spinach leaves in sandwiches and omelets. As a side dish for dinner, I love to make wilted spinach. Dump an entire bag of spinach into a skillet with a tiny bit of olive oil and a ton of cooking spray. I also like adding some sauteed chopped garlic, some toasted pine nuts, and some dried cranberries, but of course you need to watch the quantities on some of those items. Stir constantly until the spinach has turned a beautiful bright green shiny color and begins to wilt. You have to watch it pretty carefully -- it doesn't take much time at all. You'll be amazed at how little wilted spinach you get from a giant bag of leaves. Best served immediately, as cold wilted spinach equals slime. Everyone I've served it to raves about it. Good luck and have fun!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Cooking is my hobby and I've been doing it 40 years or more but I still am always learning new things. Google is your cooking friend. Google something like "eggplant baked" and all sorts of recipes come up. You asked about how to cook a leek. I didn't know how until a few years ago and learned what to do from YouTube.

It's beet season right now in the US beets are wonderfully sweet when roasted. There's instructions at http://localfoods.about.com/od/preparationtips/ss/How-To-Roast-Beets.htm
  • brainzap
    brainzap Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    - Cherry tomatoes
    - Cucumber
    - Leafy greens
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    believe it or not roasted radishes are divine.

They taste kinda like roasted cauliflower, but with a kick at the end. Delicious!

Ingredients
    •2-1/4 pounds radishes, trimmed and quartered
    •3 tablespoons olive oil
    •1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    •1/4 teaspoon salt
    •1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions
    •In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring once. Yield: 5 servings.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    This is a terrific thread! I make ratatouille (with egg plant) often. It's meaty and delicious!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Cabbage. I buy the bags of cole slaw and mix it with Newman's Own Sesame Ginger dressing (light). It is great if you are having teriyaki meat (chicken, pork, beef) and rice. Top the whole thing with the slaw. It is delicious and really healthy. For extra flavor add in green onions (scallions), shredded carrots and diced cucumber. Top the whole thing with sliced raw almonds.

Yum!
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Roasted beets are also delicious and beautiful on your plate. I like to combine red beets and golden beets.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Coat beets lightly with oil.

Wrap beets in aluminum foil, place on a baking sheet, and roast in the oven until cooked through, approximately 45 to 60 minutes. Test them with a fork. They should be very tender and easy to pierce. Over cooking is better than undercooking.

Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes, and then peel and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices.

MmmmmMmmmmm, I could eat these every day.
  • CassandraChloeJ
    CassandraChloeJ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Quite a few of these vegetables mentioned can be steamed. It's easy too.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    steaming veggies is the way to go. when i sautee, i use olive oil spray, not the actual oil. way less calories!