Suggestions please!

I need suggestions for taking my mind off of food because I am SUCH a boredom eater! It's such a hard thing to break, and I'm thinking about putting up signs around my house and in the kitchen like "There are veggies in the fridge" or "Go brush your teeth you're not hungry!" or even "Go call Grandma"! Do any of you do this, and does it work? I've heard people putting up "Walk away, fatty" signs in their cupboards but I'm wondering if this works for a little while and then they just rip them down or if it can actually help with boredom eating. I need suggestions because this really needs to stop! Thanks for your input :)

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    1. exercise
    2. w alk
    3. drink water
    4. go shopping

i wouldnt pu t no signs up............
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    I would actually suggest finding something to do with your hands - something wtih string tends to work, like crocheting or knitting. I weave, even when sitting in front of the t.v. Instead of pursuing food when bored, try curbing the boredom itself with a new hobby. sewing, reading, walking/hiking, bike riding, gardening, anything with string, origami.... there are lots of ideas there?
  • MSmith74
    MSmith74 Posts: 24 Member
    Put the signs. Even if it only works for a while, at least it will work for a while... :)
    Require yourself to do 10 push - ups, 30 crunches and hold squat for 30 seconds before you allow yourself to snack....
    Let me know how it goes. :)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Why do I have to say this every day

If you plan your meals ahead, and still feel hungry

DRINK WATER

you are misunderstanding your body's request.

Drink Water all day long

really

ALL DAY LONG

never leave home with out it
  • amdaze
    amdaze Posts: 3 Member
    Such a great idea with keeping my hands busy! I'll have to think about what I can do with that. Thanks!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    For me, it's really helped to schedule my workout time during what used to be my snack time after work. I don't allow my snack until after I've completed my workout, and by then I'm not usually hungry. If I do have a little nibble then, it's close enough to dinner time that it hampers my appetite at the meal, so I'm still eating less.

I also really like that idea of knitting or something. Something to do during tv time is a great idea! I've taken to sipping kombucha or hot tea instead of beer or eating chips.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    I find the water helps (drink a pint glass of water before you eat something so you know it's not thirst). I also find that if I can convince myself to get off my butt and do something, that really helps. When all else fails, I turn to low calorie snacks that will keep me busy for a little while. I like air popped popcorn with just a little oil (usually coconut oil) and salt.

ETA: If you're a tea drinker, get a good tea that you can drink without milk/sugar. I sometimes make a rule that I can't snack til I'm done with my tea. I drink green tea with jasmine when I don't want to add milk/sugar. I find that by the time I've filled the kettle, waited for it to heat up, steeped my tea, let it cool enough to drink and then drink it, I've moved on from my snack fixation.
  • Colliex3
    Colliex3 Posts: 328 Member
    Like everyone said drink water.. but if that doesnt help.. just put music on, dance and be awesome.. the food cravings stand no chance after that... JS :smile: