Help: Lower Belly Fat!

Options
What exercises do I do to get rid of the lower belly fat??

Thanks!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Thanks!

whatever loses weight - you can't specify where it is lost from.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Thanks!

whatever loses weight - you can't specify where it is lost from.

Yep. Weight loss is the key, which is diet based, not exercise based.

Focus on your calories... it's easy to out eat a good exercise plan, but you can't out lazy a good diet.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't target fat loss (I wish). But here are some exercises.

http://video.about.com/exercise/Best-Lower-Ab-Exercises.htm
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    The best are fork put downs and the patience exercises.

Really there are no exercises you can to to get rid of it. Exercise is for fitness and strength. Calorie deficit is for fat loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Can't do spot reduction unfortunately.

A proper diet and workout plan is needed. To start try switching to eating more whole healthy foods instead of processed foods. Reduce your carb intake down to about 150~200g a day. You'll be surprised to how easy it is to over eat with carbs since it's everywhere....

Increase your proteins. Your body burns more calories digesting protein than carbohydrates because it's slower to digest. I suggest including 1 or 2 low fat/non-fat high protein yogurts a day.

Cardio... we all love it right? Do a long duration session (40+ mins) but keep heart rate between 110~125. This will ensure your body will use fat sources (Both food sources and body fat) as energy. Any higher and your body will utilize carbs for energy. Not enough carbs = muscle breakdown.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I personally have had the best results when I eat clean, high protein, drink lots of water, do strength training a few times a week (circuit style), and run for my cardio. So basically, anything that lowers body fat will help with the lower belly.

Keeping in mind that ab exercises alone won't do it, I find that planks and leg lifts help strengthen the core/lower belly.
  • callherbeautyxo
    callherbeautyxo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Pilates will help!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    None. But walking and planks make your belly fat look better. Lose weight the belly fat will eventually go. Don't exercise, the belly fat will go and you will still look wiggly (trust me, been there, done that).
  • bfallico
    bfallico Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I have been running 3+ times a week and doing the 30 day ab and squat challange which also includes planks and push ups.
  • ScottLanier12
    Options
    anything else to work core. Had some success in past with pilates
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Ask yourself this:
    1) Is it fat? Is it skin? Is it lack of tone?

If it's fat: Then, lower your body fat percentage... it's the only way to get rid of it. You can't specify the order in which the weight comes off and you can't spot exercise and lose in one area.

If it's skin: Have you given it a couple years since losing your weight? Your skin will keep getting better for a couple years after losing significant weight, after that point... you got what you got. You can look at medical procedures but there's not much else to do. If you've just finished losing your weight, keep yourself hydrated and moisturized with something with vitamin E and make sure you're getting enough vitamin A and D as well... it won't make a huge difference but it'll maximize what you do get.

If it's lack of tone: You can do various front, side, and back core exercises to increase muscle if you're not at a calorie deficit. If you're at a calorie deficit there's not a lot of gain to be made there though, although it won't hurt to get into a routine with exercise. Take a look at "The new rules of weight lifting for women" for a good overall program that is thought out including nutrition and exercises.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Pilates will help!
    Definitely! It won't get rid of the fat but it will help increase your core strength and keep muscle while you are losing fat. It will help to pull that tummy in. You still need to eat healthily to get rid of the fat though. It won't go easily just with exercise if you are not eating healthily.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Can't do spot reduction unfortunately.

A proper diet and workout plan is needed. To start try switching to eating more whole healthy foods instead of processed foods. Reduce your carb intake down to about 150~200g a day. You'll be surprised to how easy it is to over eat with carbs since it's everywhere....

Increase your proteins. Your body burns more calories digesting protein than carbohydrates because it's slower to digest. I suggest including 1 or 2 low fat/non-fat high protein yogurts a day.

Cardio... we all love it right? Do a long duration session (40+ mins) but keep heart rate between 110~125. This will ensure your body will use fat sources (Both food sources and body fat) as energy. Any higher and your body will utilize carbs for energy. Not enough carbs = muscle breakdown.

While you use a higher % of body fat in this heart rate range ("target" the fat) you will actually lose a greater AMOUNT of fat at a higher heart rate range.
    In short: don't really focus on your heart rate except for keeping it at a level that won't kill you.