Anyone work in midtown NYC?

Options
So who here works in midtown NYC?

As we all know with prices what they are in the city, finding a cheap lunch that's healthy is not always that easy, and it's not always possible to bring your own lunch.

All my coworkers want to seem to do for lunch is go to Sophie's and other places that while are good, are extremely horrible for you. It would be nice to find a group of people to look for healthier options that are still tasty :-).

Replies

• NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I work in Midtown NYC. I mostly go to Pret or Cosi (I' eating their signature salad without the blue cheese but regular dressing right now). Chipotle burrito bowl can be ok if you eat exactly HALF of it. On a cheat day I take a bus and go to Xi'an famous foods for lunch.
  • nyyrule
    nyyrule Posts: 28
    Options
    You must be like on the same street as me because the Chipotle and Pret is right here.. but the Cosi closed. Problem is I am a bigger guy, a lot of the portions at Pret and Cosi is not nearly enough to fill me up causing me to nosh all afternoon, kind of cancelling the healthy lunch out.

I try to stick to food at the cafe at work because I can take the stairs there and back, but the thing is the food there kind of stinks... If I have time for lunch I'll walk from 42nd to the 30's or 50's because I can eat more since I burn a bit of it off walking... unfortunately I don't usually have that time so end up at the carts outside, which while are good (the Thai one is amazing), it's just not good for you. Plus it's hard saying no to going out with coworkers when relationships with them are kind of important. Their idea of a meal out is fried pork chops or lamb and rice from a cart... not quite healthy
  • NYCNika
    Options
    You must be like on the same street as me because the Chipotle and Pret is right here.. but the Cosi closed. Problem is I am a bigger guy, a lot of the portions at Pret and Cosi is not nearly enough to fill me up causing me to nosh all afternoon, kind of cancelling the healthy lunch out.

I try to stick to food at the cafe at work because I can take the stairs there and back, but the thing is the food there kind of stinks... If I have time for lunch I'll walk from 42nd to the 30's or 50's because I can eat more since I burn a bit of it off walking... unfortunately I don't usually have that time so end up at the carts outside, which while are good (the Thai one is amazing), it's just not good for you.

I'm loosing weight so I had no choice but to get used to smaller portions.

I'm trying to net 1,350 calories a day. So, for reference, a Cosi signature salad with a piece of bread is about 800 calories. So I pretty much can only have it on the day I work out. As for Pret -- a baguette sandwich is about 600 calories, I eat 3/4 of it if I am to leave space for a reasonable breakfast/dinner.

Cosi on 3rd ave and 44th st is open.

Just for my general education, where is the amazing Thai cart? :)
  • nyyrule
    Options
    Congrats on losing the weight!

I can eat 2,100 on days i don't work out ("perks" of being overweight?) so for now have some more flexibility. I head down to 38th and 5th and Olympic Pita which has amazing Falafel and I can have half of it over two days, each being about 500 calories. Just get it on Laffa bread and ask them cut it in half and to wrap each half separately.

If you are into salad, most of those 800 calories at cosi I am assuming is coming from the dressing, there's a Just Salad on 40th and 3rd where you can choose the dressing which will lower the calorie count to around 400, based on the online menu... also what is pretty good is some subways offer their sandwiches as a salad, which because the bread is most of the calories, lowers the calories by a lot. The spicy italian as a salad is pretty good and not terrible calorie wise.

For sandwiches, the BEST sandwich you can get that's not terrible for you is the Turkey Reuben from Juniors in Grand Central. If you are careful with the russian dressing, it's about 450-500 calories and AMAZING... but expensive- around $15 with a drink

And the Thai cart is by the Grace Plaza on 42 and 6th, north east corner. Just get there early, around 11:50 because they make it fresh, the wait can be kind of insane if you get there when there's a line. Totally worth the line and extra calories, though... it's yummy :-)
  • NYCNika
    Options
    If you are not too concerned about calories and just looking for something tasty -- Num Pang's pork belly sandwich can be good. That place should be really close to where you are.

But nothing beats Xi'an Famous foods Spicy Cumin Lamb over hand-ripped noodles for $7! (If you can take spicy). One has to take a bus there, it is on Saint Marks and 1st ave. Since I offer to bring some for my co-wokers when I go, nobody cares how long it takes me, I'm always encouraged if I mention going there. That's good place for dinner too. Some bars around (they have a list) will let you bring the food in if you buy their beer (bars that don't serve food). Also, across the bar there is Simone Martini Lounge -- they have happy hour until 7 pm ($5 martinis and $3 beer drafts).
  • nyyrule
    Options
    That's good to know about num pang- terrible for my diet but good to know lol. The banh mi sandwiches at hing won by Rockefeller center are pretty good too... probably not worth the schlep for you, though.

If you are over by 3rd, there's a place on 39th and 3rd- Famous Chicken Place- total hole in the wall but has fantastic chicken and greek food, so you can get a greek salad with dressing on the side and be able to watch calories. Their gyro's are the best, but not so great for calorie count.

It's good to know about Xi'an... not sure how often I can get there and the bars because I live up in Westchester so it would be a hike to get from there to GCT and back home after work, but probably be worth a hike during lunch hour one day or on a Friday in Summer when we can leave work early :-).
  • wineliketopaz
    Options
    I sometimes work in midtown (near Grand Central) when I'm not traveling for work. My hands down favorite healthy lunch spot is Dig Inn (http://www.diginn.com/home/).

They've got a few locations throughout midtown too. Healthy and delicious!
  • nyyrule
    Options
    ohh good to know! Thanks!
  • NYCNika
    Options
    I sometimes work in midtown (near Grand Central) when I'm not traveling for work. My hands down favorite healthy lunch spot is Dig Inn (http://www.diginn.com/home/).

Thank you, I will hike there to try it!

I wish the posted breakfast nutritional info too! It looks good.

I just wish all places posted nutritional info. I feel so limited in places to eat. So many places are of limits now.
    And really, even if they posted 1,000 calories for a dish that I want, I'd just know I can eat half and be fine with that. It is the not knowing that is dangerous for my plan.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I work a little more uptown but I know what you mean. For work days I usually go to a deli with a variety of items. More often than not, I make one of those huge salads, but a lot of them have juices and smoothie bars where you can add protein, fruits, and veggies. If going out, I find that sushi is a filling, lower calorie option. I also love noodle bowls. However, if you're watching sodium, it's obviously not the best.
  • nyyrule
    Options

Thank you, I will hike there to try it!

I wish the posted breakfast nutritional info too! It looks good.

I just wish all places posted nutritional info. I feel so limited in places to eat. So many places are of limits now.
    And really, even if they posted 1,000 calories for a dish that I want, I'd just know I can eat half and be fine with that. It is the not knowing that is dangerous for my plan.

They may have it posted in the restaurant- the menu posted online seems to be generic when only one place serves breakfast... that one place may have the calories posted in the menu... I think they legally have to in NYC
  • nyyrule
    Options
    I work a little more uptown but I know what you mean. For work days I usually go to a deli with a variety of items. More often than not, I make one of those huge salads, but a lot of them have juices and smoothie bars where you can add protein, fruits, and veggies. If going out, I find that sushi is a filling, lower calorie option. I also love noodle bowls. However, if you're watching sodium, it's obviously not the best.

Where do you get the noodle bowls? Personally I can get a decent salad in the work cafeteria for cheaper than the deli's so I am okay with that, but if you have any recommendations of decent deli's since a lot are extremely overpriced and not very good, especially in midtown, please post them....

I feel like farther uptown is even harder than on 42nd- there are a ton of carts in the 50's, but those are all horrible for you and impossible to figure out calories. The only exception I know of is Tri Tip Grill in Rockefeller Center Plaza where they have really good salmon and grilled chicken. If you have a few extra calories, go with a few coworkers and split the whole tri-tip with mashed potatoes and grilled veggies... really yummy.
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I work on 47th and 6th and the only places I know to get some healthy stuff is Pret A Manger or Fresh & Co, There's also The Green Room Cafe and Re-Charge. I'm sure there are more, but thankfully there's a cafeteria in my building that serves salads, wraps, fruits, yogurt and other things for way cheaper.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    haha I love this thread. For healthy options I go to Just Salad. I also go to Oldbridge although I'm almost positive that's not the name (its on the corner of Lex and 41st). Oldbridge has a lot of options including a buffet, self serve salad, and in the back they make fresh fruit and veggie juices as well as custom sandwiches (they have a lot of meat options and they give you the option of just buying the meat. Sometimes I buy cooked fish or a veggie burger and make my own thing with stuff from the buffet). Theres also Bistro. They have some great custom lunch options. I also buy a lot of fresh fruit from this guy on 40th and 3rd. His stuff is so cheap and it tastes so good! Other then those spots, I tend to bring my own food. It get's way too expensive!!!

ETA: Oldbridge can get pricey depending on what you buy, but tbh theres not many cheap HEALTHY options in midtown.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    hey guys - I work on 55 and 3rd - feel free to add me anyone! Oh - my goto choice is usually Pret or else Cafe Europa (or one of the other Salad makers)....I find soup plus a salad is more satisfying that just salad. Lately, I've been going to Subway and getting a chopped veggie patty salad. Pretty good believe it or not.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    "Midtown" is big--can you be more specific as to east/west and street range?

There's some decent food in Hell's Kitchen around 9th ave, and I like The Smith on 2nd ave at 51st St.

[Edit: The Smith isn't exactly cheap though.]

Edit edit: how could I forget Sergimmo's Salumeria! It's near Penn Station, on 9th ave. Best sandwiches ever.