S. Korea for 2.5 weeks - no MFP. Advice?

Options
Hi, all.

I've been using MFP for a little over 2 months, and have been doing quite well, so far. I almost always log everything I eat.

But I'm going on vacation to S. Korea for two and a half weeks, and won't be able to use MFP regularly (or, at least, I won't know how many calories to put in, even if I have wifi access, because I won't know what I'm eating.). My hope is simply that I'll maintain my weight. But it would be great if I could keep loosing, as well.

I'm thinking that I should take the Weight-Down Diet's approach to eat when I'm hungry (which is obvious - if I can wait that long) and stop when I'm pleasantly full (which I struggle with recognizing). MFP definitely helps enforce portion control for me... So I'm worried about losing that "crutch".

Any tips and tricks for "going off the [MFP] grid" or for eating in foreign (specifically Asian) countries?

Thanks!
~Sarah

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Practice eyeballing portions of meat and rice and veggies. Try to stick to lean proteins and veggies. take smaller portions and then go back if needed, don't heap your plate. Maybe do some Googling before you leave and try to get ideas of nutritional values for traditional/typical foods. Keep that info with you and track in a journal the best you can. Mostly just use common sense.
  • nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When I was in Japan for 10 days I didnt gain a pound...and I ate the local food like a champ. Advice- avoid anything covered in sauces or fried (which are the obvious to spot) and the heavy noodle type dishes. Stick with lean meats as much as you can (although if its anything like Japan you will have NO clue what you are eating sometimes) and just enjoy the local cuisine. Asian cultures aren't smaller than Americans for a reason- they do have healthy options of food, and they walk a lot. Which also helps. Desserts aren't very sweet, so I never really ate them because I didn't care for dark or bitter chocolate. There was a lot of grills/BBQ options as well as seafood, which are always a good option as well. Just try to stick with what you have learned so far, and if they have pictures of the food, try to see which looks grilled/steamed over fried and go with those choices. But for sure enjoy the local food, and try not to stress too much about it!
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    S. Korea- fun! journal, journal and journal, also, do what nicolemarie said no fried or saucy foods ... and then remember to enjoy yourself :)
    Have fun!
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :) Great basic advice: practice visualizing portions ... journal my calorie guestimates ... veggies are good ... avoid fried foods ... avoid too much sauce ...

Something I've been thinking would be good to do, in general, to help me remember portion control, is to intentionally try to NOT eat everything on my plate. But I keep forgetting to try it...
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    There is LOTS of American food in S. Korea. And even if you eat Korean at every meal, I certainly hope you know what you're eating LOL. We were there for 9 days in 2011. We ate whatever we wanted (mostly Western food ) but did so much walking that I lost 6 lbs.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    And can I just say how jealous I am? I want to go back!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You will be walking a lot so as long as you are sensible about your portions, you should be fine! Enjoy yourself! :wink:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,699 Member
    Options
    Korean food is delicious and not so fattening. Eat bulgogi (the national dish) or other grilled meats with namul (vegetable starters). Have a great time.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    South Korean food is mostly vegetables and they don't have an obesity problem. Most people there are skinny. You'll have to double or triple your food portion to match what you'd normally eat in America. Eat local food and you will not have a problem, so long as you stick to one serving.