Convict Conditioning

Options
Anyone doing these?

I've not come very far in my steps, but I try to throw out a couple of sets every night for an excercise.

Pull-ups have for example ground to a halt which feels unsurmountable. :grumble:

Replies

• IronMikeFox
    IronMikeFox Posts: 458
    Options
    Yep. I incorporate some of the stuff from convict conditioning. Where are you on pull-ups?
  • DonPidgeon
    DonPidgeon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Stuck on step 2.

Even built my own TRX system since I couldn't do it from under a table.

Squats, Leg Raises and Push-ups I've progressed on, but pull-ups just won't happen.
  • IronMikeFox
    IronMikeFox Posts: 458
    Options
    Yeah ... pull-ups are the one thing that his progressions did not help me on. Here is what I started doing. Skip the inclined stuff. Go straight to regular chin-ups (palms facing you). Put a chair beneath you and slightly behind you. Prop your feet up on it with knees bent. Use your legs just enough for you to be able to complete a pull-up. Once you get the feel for it and can do some pull-ups with the help of your legs, start doing sets. You long-term goal is to get to 100 assisted pull-ups. But start with 50. Start with 2 - 3 reps per set and rest as little as possible between sets. Once you can get to fifty doing 2-3 rep sets, bump up to 5 reps per set. Once you can get to 100 with sets of 20, you should be able to start working in unassisted pull-ups. Stick with sets of 20 ... but start each set with as many unassisted pull-us as you can and finish with assisted. Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Pull-ups have been the bane of my existence as long as I have been exercising. Using this progression, I have finally started making progress!
  • DonPidgeon
    Options
    Thanks, will try it out.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    CC was a good read, but nothing ground breaking - returned to You Are Your Own Gym as my main exercise regimes with a stronger focus on Pull-ups and Chin-ups.

I was very pleased to re-sell my CC for £40, so I got all my money back!
  • DonPidgeon
    Options
    Nah, there seems to be a general consensus that what he writes are hardly groundbreaking.

But I like it non-the-less. How is 'You are your own gym'?

If CC are '6 big exercises which anyone can start with' how would you categorize that book?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Not grndbreaking, but I did like the simple "6 bodyparts" approach that had me feeling that even I could gain significant strength and I am steadily doing just that, so not a complete waste of time reading CC.

YAYOG on the other hand is very in-depth, which is good value for money as a reference book, but the training scedules look daunting; very complex. Having said that, I prefer YAYOG and really feel like I have done some considerable work towards my strength. I certainly don't have strength over at the end of a session!

I did have to include conventional chin-ups and pull-ups into the session as I feel strong pulling movements are a bit lacking in YAYOG, presumably because it tries to address pulling movements without using a pull-up bar. But when you can buy doorframe sensitive pullup bars quote cheaply that you can easily transport and use anywhere, I feel YAYOG should include proper pullups, including assisted, negatives and eventually non-assisted.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Yeah ... pull-ups are the one thing that his progressions did not help me on. Here is what I started doing. Skip the inclined stuff. Go straight to regular chin-ups (palms facing you). Put a chair beneath you and slightly behind you. Prop your feet up on it with knees bent. Use your legs just enough for you to be able to complete a pull-up. Once you get the feel for it and can do some pull-ups with the help of your legs, start doing sets. You long-term goal is to get to 100 assisted pull-ups. But start with 50. Start with 2 - 3 reps per set and rest as little as possible between sets. Once you can get to fifty doing 2-3 rep sets, bump up to 5 reps per set. Once you can get to 100 with sets of 20, you should be able to start working in unassisted pull-ups. Stick with sets of 20 ... but start each set with as many unassisted pull-us as you can and finish with assisted. Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. Pull-ups have been the bane of my existence as long as I have been exercising. Using this progression, I have finally started making progress!

Why on earth would you do 100 assisted reps in an attempt to get stronger?

As soon as you can do controlled negatives, do them. Use an underhand (chinup) grip until you can do 3-4 full reps. The chair assist method works good, use as little assist as possible.

If you can, do rows as well. Rows teach you to use your back instead of your arms much more than assisted pullups do.

Most people's (men) issue with pullups is not that they are too weak, its that they have no idea of how to use their back (or they are overfat).
  • linnaeus
    linnaeus Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym is pretty good, also he does let me ins as a precursor to pull ups. All you need is a belt and a sturdy door (or pole, or staircase beam, etc.)

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPvK5FamZKY

The more bent your legs, the harder the exercise. Once you've gotten good at doing them with your knees 90 degrees and thighs parallel to the floor, then start doing them with one arm only.

THEN move on to horizontal pulls, and when you do, start with your legs bent and feet flat on the floor. Lift your waist up so that your thighs and torso make a straight line. This will be easier than doing them with straight legs.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Yes - being over-fat is the main obstacle in my pull-ups progression, rather than having enough strength.... so - I know what I have to do then!

I am around 14 pounds over-fat. If I were doing pullups with a 14 pound weight hanging off a waist weight belt, I'd be pretty pleased with myself!