How long did it take you to like exercise?

Options
dawningr
dawningr Posts: 387 Member
I'm going on my 5th month and still have to kick myself in the rear to get to the gym, get outside, etc. I do it, because I know I need to. But still don't like it.

When did that change for you?

Replies

• DojoMaster888
    DojoMaster888 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between the first time I heard compliments from the results of my workout and the time I actually started to see some results.
  • ddslowly
    ddslowly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    mmm...never? i like how i feel afterwards and i know it's an important thing to do but i still really have to talk myself into it and i don't particularly enjoy it. oh, right. it's now 7ish years that i've been tricking myself into various workouts.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Day one, since I touched a barbell.
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    When I found out I weigh more than the guys my size but have a smaller pants size
  • genofreek
    genofreek Posts: 75
    Options
    I don't, and I don't think I'll ever LIKE exercise, but I like the feeling of accomplishment I get from getting in there and putting in a good day's workout. Also the results, I've dropped 20 pounds as of today and people are starting to notice. :)
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I still struggle to get myself out of the house to exercise and I don't really enjoy it when I'm doing it. Why do I do it then? Because I always feel great afterwards!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    When I started to like the changes that I saw in my body. Also, I think it's easier to like it if you find something you actually enjoy so that it doesn't become a real chore. For me, I lost a lot of weight by doing pretty intense cardio 1 hr +/day. That got old after 18 months, so now I'm doing strength training and HIIT. It's a lot easier to put on running shoes knowing that I can do 30 minutes of HIIT or an hour of weights instead of my same old routine of elliptical/steady-state running.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    the first day I went running outside!!!!!! Good music plus running makes me a happy girl!!!!:smile::smile:
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I began to actually like it when I noticed the considerable endurance I gained. When I started I could barely spend a minute running non-stop on the treadmill without sucking wind. Last week I ran for 25 minutes straight, that's 2500% improvement! It doesn't hurt that the exercise has markedly improve the way I look, so whenever I look in the mirror I'm becoming more motivated to work harder.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm not certain exactly because for me it became a mindset change. I stopped looking at it as exercise and started looking at it as training and physical activity. Physical activity became an integral part of my life versus something that I "must" or "have" to do
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm going on my 5th month and still have to kick myself in the rear to get to the gym, get outside, etc. I do it, because I know I need to. But still don't like it.

When did that change for you?

Keep trying new things .... what kinds of classes does your gym offer?

I found exercise I like .... not ALL exercise is exercise I like .... but some of it is. Keep plugging away at it.
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Let's see here - would I rather sit on the couch watching bad reality TV (Real Housewives of the OC anyone?) or go to the gym and push myself and get all sweaty/out of breath? Or how about sitting on the couch wrapped in a blanket or walking the dogs when it's 20 degrees out?

I bet you can guess my answers. :laugh: But I workout because I know it's good for me (and in the case of walking good for my dogs). Some days it's more of an automatic thing (a habit) and some days I still have to force myself to go the gym (I've been a regular gym goer for over 10 years!). And some days I simply skip. It is what it is - no one is perfect.

I've read that people will on super unmotivated days will commit to working out for 20 minutes and then if they are still not feeling it they head home. Most times they end up staying! So that's something to keep in mind.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't 'like' exercise, but by 'gamifying' it with a Fitbit (getting badges for steps/stairs, etc.) I was motivated to do it. Now I find that I am kind of uncomfortable when I sit too long--my body wants me to get up and go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is that people feel like they have to go to the gym and drone away for hours on some cardio machine to burn a gazillion calories. When that is the mindset, exercise becomes a task. I've found that most people really start getting into their exercise and training when they start exercising for their fitness and to achieve certain fitness goals beyond just burning calories.

That's how it was for me anyway...when I first started back to exercise I was just doing stuff based on what kind of calorie burn I could get and what I thought I needed to be doing. When I started establishing independent fitness goals, that's when my routines really came together and started to be more intelligent and make more sense. Before it was just whatever's clever and I'm going to burn some calories. Now, every single little thing I do training wise is in support of a very specific goal, and that drives me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There are some exercises I've always liked since the first time I did them, which was often as a child - bike riding, hiking, playing ball, etc. And some like Zumba and Turbo Fire that I loved immediately. Others like running or lifting weights I've never enjoyed, but have done at times because I liked the results.

I try to stick to exercises I enjoy as my main workouts and do the others when I can talk myself into it. Because the one thing that is for certain all exercises only work if you do them.
  • hausisse
    hausisse Posts: 90
    Options
    My mom has been forcing my sister and I to exercise for as long as I can remember... so I grew into it lol. I guess I started to love it around 16 or so, when I also started loving waking up early! hahaha. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree :p
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'm finally getting closer to liking it. I Like my current program, so that helps a TON, but I still struggle with starting, once I start I'm golden. I'm currently doing Combat. I learned I Love to kick and punch and it relieves stress.

You're local to me! Feel free to add me.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    About three months, the first time I compared a picture to my before and noticed a tiny amount of difference. Then when I started tracking my nutrition, about 1.5 months later, and started seeing massive changes is when I got addicted.
  • hausisse
    hausisse Posts: 90
    Options
    Oh, yeah, I think the trick is definitely finding something that you love to do, as well as variety. I guess I had that with ballet so that made me love exercising... it's beautiful and not monotonous like just plugging away on the treadmill for hours
  • WillieMN
    WillieMN Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Once you see and feel the positive effects that exercise has on your body, mind and life you'll have a new found appreciation.
    Exercise improves the quality of life, so I liked it from the very start. Hopefully it will do the same for you! :heart: