That Darn Belly

Options
dgk2024
dgk2024 Posts: 15 Member
Hey. Does anyone have some real advice/tips on how to lose that belly. Personally, I feel like I carry a lot of my fat in my belly. It is so noticeably there- round and standing out- that I have complete strangers (on several occasions) ask me when I was due as if I were pregnant. I ignore them for the most part, but later it does bother me because I'm not pregnant and never have been, I'm just plain fat in the belly. I know I'm well on my way to losing weight, eating healthier and getting active but I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to get your belly to shrink and not poke out (like a pregnant lady!) It can be excercise related or eating habits or whatever can help. Thanks guys!

Replies

• h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    clean diet and patience is all you can do unfortunately
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yeah, proper diet and overall exercise ans strengthening is the only thing. Get rid of sodas, limit alcohol
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    As always, you can't spot reduce. You just need to stay with a good diet and exercise program, and it will eventually go away.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hey. Does anyone have some real advice/tips on how to lose that belly. Personally, I feel like I carry a lot of my fat in my belly. It is so noticeably there- round and standing out- that I have complete strangers (on several occasions) ask me when I was due as if I were pregnant. I ignore them for the most part, but later it does bother me because I'm not pregnant and never have been, I'm just plain fat in the belly. I know I'm well on my way to losing weight, eating healthier and getting active but I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to get your belly to shrink and not poke out (like a pregnant lady!) It can be excercise related or eating habits or whatever can help. Thanks guys!

You're the third 'Belly' post of the day...I feel your pain!!! Here's my previous responses -

Sadly what everyone else has said....You can't target one specific area for fat loss. Just stick with your calorie deficit.

However - while your working on that calorie deficit it certainly is not a waste of time to strengthen your core!!

Planks, planks and more planks and planks with variations does a body good.

Also compound moves are super effective - squats, lunges, dead lifts, did i mention planks. And while your at it throw some pushups, bench presses and overhead presses in the mix.

Burpees is another good exercise.

All the above will not help with fat loss (all together now...calorie deficit does that) BUT it will strengthen the core muscles which will make you look awesome once those muscles are uncovered through weight loss!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else said. The belly area is a primary fat storage area...usually where most people start to put noticeable weight on and last to come off. Even my buddy who is about 15% BF has a small, but noticeable fat layer on his belly.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Have you had any pregnancies? If so you should google rectis diastasis and see if that fits with what you describe. There are specific exercises for it but if it's too severe it can only be corrected with surgery.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    You don't have to RID your diet of certain vices (alcohol and soda were mentioned), you just have to be sure that you have a calorie deficit at the end of the day.

Edit to say that alcohol was to be limited. I agree.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You don't have to RID your diet of certain vices (alcohol and soda were mentioned), you just have to be sure that you have a calorie deficit at the end of the day.

IDEA Fitness member

I disagree - Alcohol stops the body burning fat, so should be completely avoided, otherwise you will just slow your progress.

This is in addition to the empty calories, less optimal workouts and crap you eat when you have a drink.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I disagree - Alcohol stops the body burning fat, so should be completely avoided, otherwise you will just slow your progress.

This is in addition to the empty calories, less optimal workouts and crap you eat when you have a drink.

Oh my this sounds positively ominous!!!:noway: .....'should be completely avoided'. I disagree. A drink or two in moderation is fine :drinker: