Today show

Options
:love: :blushing: :blushing: Hello my name is Barb...Im overweight and have been for a long time. in 1998 I had gastric bypass surgery and I was thin for me (170lbs) for five years. I loved it. I used to look in mirrors and see my butt and say, "that cant be my butt can it?" It was so flat and thin. Well stress and old habits crept back in and here I am 248 lbs again. I stopped weighing myself but I knew I was getting bigger. Sugar is the culprit. I love chocolate. Ive gotta stop. I was so inspired by Tamara on the today show. If I knew I could be thinner in 11 months I would do it. I hate weight watchers. I have tried it 10 times and I kept losing the same 8 lbs over and over again. Im newly retired so now I have more time to study and see what exactly Im putting in my mouth. Sound familar to anyone? I would love to go thru this with someother person that has had gastric bypass and gained back most of their weight. Please write. bherling@windstream.net

Replies

• VenturaGurl
    VenturaGurl Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site...I find it very easy to use to keep track of food and exercise. The community is also very supportive. I hope you find it as helpful as I have!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hello Barb, welcome to a great site....sure wish I had seen the show :(
  • Babain
    Babain Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey Barb, didn't have gastric bypass but I am TIRED of being fat TOO! So related to the WW story. I was inspired by the story on the today show and immediately came to this site. Good luck, I'm pulling for you!
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Me too! We can it! We will do it together!
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I love this site! Good luck!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi Barb, and welcome!
    Gee, I wished I'd seen the Today show too, the way everyone is talking!

Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also under "Community", then "Weight Loss and Healthy Living", then "general diet and weight loss help", and then check out the first few threads. They'll REALLY help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including Weight Watchers, and even hypnosis, TWICE. And nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Just the word "diet" would make me cringe and set me up for failure. :grumble: It meant depriving myself of all the "good stuff" out there, and as a result, I'd only last just so long, (maybe a few weeks if I was lucky!) and then I'd "cave" and go right back to eating all those "goodies" again! :embarrassed: :cry: But, MFP ISN'T a "diet". :noway: It's a "lifestyle change". :smile: (When I first read that, I said "Ya, SURE it is!", thinking that it WAS just another diet. :grumble: But, it wasn't! :noway:)
    The main reason that I've managed to lose most of the weight that I wanted to is because I HAVE been able to eat "real/good" foods. :bigsmile: (Not Slim Fast or any other easy, quick, fad "wacko" diets!:noway: ) Through MFP I learned that I just needed to "work for it", through exercise, and watching my numbers (MOST of the time! :wink: ) As long as I do that, I CAN occasionally have stuff like Chinese food, a double cheeseburger, pizza, and even homemade ice-cream! :love:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. :noway: For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!:wink: ) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria") :love: :happy:
    It's free, (unlike a gym!:grumble: ) fun, :smile: and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
    MFP REALLY, REALLY, DOES work! :love: :happy: Give it a chance, and it WILL work for you too! :smile:

A site that will help you figure out the numbers in homemade recipes.
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

A few sites that calculates how many calories burned for tons of different activities.
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • Kayyates
    Options
    I would like to be your partner. I had lap band surgery. I too am here because of the Today show today. Since you stated you are retired we may have a lot in common. My email address is kayyates1@gmail.com
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I wanted to let you know dont give up! If weight watchers is not working dont keep wasting your money. Maybe put it towards a trainer that knows what they are doing. Most of my clients are ove 200lbs and are or have gotten great results. 80% is the foods we eat. I say kept it simple. It should not cost a ton of money to eat healthy. Here is some advice eat fresh or frozen fruits and veggies, lean protiens, whole grains, beans, eggs low fat dairy ect. DO NOT EAT ANYTHING OUT OF A BOX!!! NO POP DIET OR REGULAR! DO NOT EAT HIGH FRUTOSE CORN SURYP, WHITE FLOUR WHITE SUGARS, SIMPLE SUGARS, STAY AWAY FROM ARTIFICAL SWEETNERS, AND WATCH TH SALT/SODIUM IN TAKE!!!!if you have any other questions you can email me at prot_fitness@yahoo.com. Have a great day and never give up. It is still possible :-)
  • NClady55
    Options
    Hello everyone. I too was inspired by the lady on the Today show. I came quickly to find this site. I'm overweight and I'm tired of being fat. I'm single and in hopes of one day finding a special someone but I know theres no chance of that with my weight as it is now. It sadens me to think food has become so important to me. I think its a cycle. First we want food then we overeat then we beat ourselves up over overeating and hate what the scales say the next day. I also have arthitis so I know the number one thing is to get my weight down. I sure need help.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Hello Barb, welcome to a great site....sure wish I had seen the show :(
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/38625333/