How many calories burned on stationary bike?

Options
I've looked at several websites and it looks like for someone of my size and age (5'6.5, 143lbs. / 42 year-old female), I am burning about 200 calories per half hour, pedaling at 18-20 MPH. Does this seem right?

Also, do you need to sweat in order to burn a decent number of calories? I've been on the bike for 20 minutes now and feel warm, but no sweating happening. Lol

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    That seems like a reasonable ballpark figure, but it's hard to say without knowing more about the brand of the bike, the resistance level, etc. MPH is almost meaningless on an exercise bike. I usually bike outdoors, but when I'm traveling, I'll use hotel exercise bikes. The MPH figures are ridiculous: if I put out the same effort that it takes me to go 15 mph outdoors, they will say I'm doing 22-25.

You don't have to visibly sweat to get results. People sweat all the time; you only notice it when the rate of sweat production exceeds the rate of evaporation from your skin. That said, some people sweat more copiously than others.
  • toronto81
    toronto81 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor if you want to be accurate.
    This web site, along with exercising machines (treadmills) are an estimate & totally inaccurate for me.
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends how much tension is on the bike. If you are just pedaling along with not too much tension on the bike, I guess you may not sweat too much. Try upping the tension (make it harder to pedal) and try that for a bit, then up it again. Make it hard to pedal, like you are going up a big hill. Then lower the tension and spin as fast as you can for 1 minute. Take a break, catch your breathe and up the tension again. Intervals will get those sweat glands going, that is for sure!

Good luck and have fun!! Fun to have fast music going for the fast pedaling! Think Ballroom Blitz!! Or something up beat like that.
  • KPMP1992
    KPMP1992 Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks everyone!