Beginner Running?

Options
2»

Replies

• txbandman
    txbandman Posts: 78
    Options
    Be patient.
    When I started running (about 7 1/2 years ago) I could barely manage a half mile without stopping to walk. I made myself put in a full 3 miles every workout (usually only 2 or 3 a week) - if that meant run a half mile and then walk 2 1/2, then that's what I did. Eventually I made 2 miles, then 5K. I am now registered for my first ever half-marathon a month from tomorrow. Build the distance slowly. Your cardio health will catch up with your strength.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I have done couch to 5K and a Runner's World beginner plan. Walk/running is the key to start. Hal Higdon has good programs as well. I wouldn't worry about your breathing or stride, run the way you naturally do. I do periodic 'shoulder checks' to make sure I'm loose. If I'm out of breath too much I slow down or take a walk break. I also try to keep my hands relaxed and my gaze on the horizon. Also I try to keep my arm swing to my side vs crossing the body which seems to stop forward momentum...droning on sorry.... When you start out it's best to go slow and run often. I have injured myself in the past by trying to do too much too soon.
  • kelleynbrown
    kelleynbrown Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Definitely going to check out C25k :)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i am doing a 13 weeks to 10k plan. similar to c25k, you just spend more time on the road right off the bat.
    i got the plan from 'the beginning runners handbook' and programmed it into runkeeper. i believe the vancouver sun has a pdf of the plan posted somewhere.