Battling with Weight and Chronic Anxiety/PTSD

Options
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else there is battling this MFP journey with the addition of the burden of a mental illness?

I have chronic anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder myself.

Not only is comfort eating a HUGE obstacle, but the added weight of not having the energy to exercise somedays due to feeling like hell or not sleeping due to nightmares is even harder.

While I am treating this (meds, therapy, natural herbs, painting etc) I see my MFP as a way to treat my body and mind. But some days are harder than others.

If there is anyone else there who battles the same or similar please add me as a friend. Lets discuss what other things we are doing to help ourselves.

Strength in numbers, join me :)

Meg

Replies

• CalynZeigs
    CalynZeigs Posts: 34
    Options
    Not mental but my lungs are crud. Right now they are 75-90% function, last few years were 50% or below (finally found a med reg that is really helping). I cant relate exactly but I know how frustrating it is to not have the energy to move, albeit for a different reason. I would love to be friends with someone who sounds they are struggling in with a similar result, regardless the why. I'm not on weekends, holidays or when I am sick, as long as you are good with that I'd love to be pals =)
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with depression/anxiety (and chronic migraines/chronic daily headache) for years. It definitely sucks and makes weight loss difficult. There's a group on here if you're not already a part of it. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/89-mental-health-issues It can be good for support and finding others with the same struggles.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I suffer from anxiety too. Sometimes going to the gym and facing people is just to much to handle. I also have other medical issues that slow me down but that's all they do. Sow me down. I'm still making progress and am finding that more than anything the healthy eating and exercise is "curing" me. I have more good days now and it's giving me a boost of confidence too. You can add me if you want :)
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Thank-you all and to those who sent me a PM telling me your stories.

Crista I had no idea that group existed!

Thank you so much!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Thank-you all and to those who sent me a PM telling me your stories.

Crista I had no idea that group existed!

Thank you so much!
    No problem. There's a private group too (you'll have to request an invite in the public group though) where people are a little more open since it's not public.
  • j4m8
    j4m8 Posts: 32
    Options
    Bump
  • cajuin
    cajuin Posts: 10
    Options
    Anxiety attacks is what has made me aware of just how far I had let myself go.
    Currently on meds so I don't go down the street half naked every night...oh yea, if it was only a joke.

I was lucky and had a good doctor that started putting all the pieces of my illnesses together.
    Slow progress,

I finally understand that longer I do not address each of the underlying issues the worst I was making it on myself.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I crashed big time with my anxiety issues this year. I just saw a psychiatrist for the first time today (other than that night I spent in the psych ER last fall), and took my first lorazepam a half hour ago.. This is in addition to having a kidney transplant, hearing loss, and a myriad of other medical issues. Feel free to add me.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have PTSD also. It is a lot better now that I am older and have had a lot of time to work on healing and learning to deal with it. Facing it was much better than when I was just dealing with it, but not getting any kind of help for myself (although I was doing the best I could). It's still something I need to be aware of. It is still a continual learning process of dealing with the stress, but each time it sneaks back up on me I learn how to change things and manage my stress a lot better. Things can trigger it. There are things I need to deal with in my current life related to the trauma (from my childhood) and that is very challenging (but I can handle it now).

Exercise, health and fitness is a healthy way that I channel my stress and reduce my stress.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Raises hand. I actually just posted about stress eating on my blog. Nothing too interesting just losing my motivation when life happens. I have been on medication for years but I still struggle with not wanting to just grab a bag of chips and lay in bed all day, everyday.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Yes. I found I really have had to address the anxiety before I could address the weight, but also put on a bunch of weight while dealing with the anxiety. Ironically, when I was at my thinnest, it was partially because I was dealing with depression. I'm trying to get back to that size the healthy way. It's all so hard.

*whine*

Things are getting better, though. I feel the best I have in ages!
  • Nursebeth7807
    Nursebeth7807 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Meg,

My boyfriend of 2.5 years is a Navy veteran with PTSD. I have watched him struggle with his symptoms - it really isn't even about day to day as it is one minute to the next. When I first met him, he didn't really think PTSD was "real" - he thought it was just him, or just how it had to be. After a little over 2 years of prodding on my part, he has finally submitted his paperwork for VA benefits; in the meantime he has had to figure out what works best for him in managing his symptoms. Primarily he deals with emotional numbing, hypervigilance, and anger flashes. We have both noticed when he goes several days without getting in the gym that his moods worsen. He seems more grouchy/angry when he hasn't been to the gym in a while. Due to the social anxiety he has joined a 24 hour gym, and will work out usually late at night or very early in the morning to avoid crowds. He feels much better when he keeps a regular workout routine. He is very critical of his physical appearance. Journaling also seems to help him get those negative thoughts out of his head and onto paper. Otherwise he broods over them and it brings him down emotionally.

Although I cannot say that I understand how you feel, I can say that I know how difficult it can be to deal with PTSD. Those who are unfamiliar with it have no idea of the challenges it presents. Every day is a mixed bag - I never know "who" my boyfriend will be that day, or even from one minute to the next. Some of my friends think I'm crazy for sticking around, but they just haven't taken the time to learn about PTSD and why it causes people to act the way they do. I wish you good luck and positive wishes on your journey! Try not to be too hard on yourself if you stumble along the way. And always remember that you are worth it!!!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
  • amandahandstand
    amandahandstand Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, everyone who's posted here :)

I've had social anxiety since about the age of 10/12 and have always hated people looking at me. Naturally this makes getting out of the house for a run or going to the gym a struggle that it really shouldn't be! I was also bullied all through school for being terrible at sports which really set it into my mind that fitness wasn't something I could ever achieve.

The most I've been able to bring myself to do is go for walks (I aim for about an hour's walk each day that I'm not working) and I'm trying to stop eating as a distraction from my own thoughts.

I just wish they'd invent an antidepressant that makes you lose weight, instead of gaining it, haha.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm just coming off of a PTSD/depression episode triggered by some invasive medical procedures. Lack of sleep due to nightmares and general anxiety just makes it worse, and a month of comfort eating later and I've gained about 8 pounds. It does get better - my PTSD episodes are getting farther and farther part, and definitely less severe.

I hear you - it makes losing weight even more of a challenge to say the least. But like you, taking care of myself, using MFP and losing weight is a way of respecting myself (definitely a learned skill for me).
  • lisalisa94585
    lisalisa94585 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am so glad I found this. Stress eating is exactly my problem and I always felt like I wasn't in the right place (mentally) to tackle it. Went to the doctor today and actually got on the scale (found out I am sick with pneumonia). I saw exactly how much I let myself go in the last year. It is time to hit it, but definitely need some support. Agreed about the antidepressants making it harder to lose weight.
  • Mama080412
    Mama080412 Posts: 8
    Options
    I have anxiety, PTSD and a binging problem.

I hate the nights or morning screaming and crying so badly that my husband has to wake me and then trying to fall back to sleep takes forever cause you are all worked up over the night terror.

I am seeing a holistic therapist cause I don't like taking medications which has been amazing. I also see the Chiropractor 1X every other week for my body, health and my Anxiety( which is soooo much better because of this).

I hope your journey goes a bit easier. I've recently started my journey as well. I'm on day 58 I think! LOL I have finally moved into a different onset with the way I think. I'm hoping I continue thinking this way til I reach some better goals!
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    For me, MFP has kept me relatively symptom free for the last two years. I still have my moments, but with a little adjustment in my medication, I am able to make a quick turnaround. Exercise, has really helped my many issues...
  • jkprof
    jkprof Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Totally relate to your struggle--but, one thing i've found is that hard excersize is a great battler of sleep issues--i deal with PTSD and Anxiety as well and when i do regular yoga or weight lifting (which i think is proprioceptive feedback to my neurological and muscular system) i sleep much more deeply; longer, and more restfully. The right meds and a good diagnostic psychiatrist is a huge benefit as well....don't let them miss diagnose the initial issues because anxiety, depression, bipolar, ptsd and the ways to treat are very muddy...it might take a couple of trial runs on different things to get the right combination of meds. Low dosage with the right combination is much more effective than any one med at higher dosage (in my experience). Good luck and don't give up the fight to the right to your body and health. sometimes i just tell myself--this one set; this one workout; this one trip to the gym is all i have to do...(and then i do it and feel a lot better and in control of my life).