Burning more calories doing easier exercises

Options
So I have been keeping track of how many calories I am burning doing Zumba and Insanity. I am burning 100-150 more calories doing Zumba. Even though Insanity is a "harder" workout, am I going to get better results doing Zumba since I am burning more?? It doesn't really make sense because Zumba is so much easier... Any advice would really be appreciated!!

Replies

• ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... I don't know much about Insanity, but I've been doing Zumba for a few years, and I absolutely love it because it's fun and I get a really good workout. I guess maybe it doesn't seem like you're working really hard because you're having a lot of fun?? I'm not sure... I know that when I'm really enjoying my workout, it seems like a breeze. For example, I might go for a run for a half an hour and not think much of it if I get my runner's high... Someone else might be able to help you with this one. Sorry!
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    You'll get results that are about the same. I was overestimating my burn when I was doing Insanity and wound up gaining weight! Until I became serious about strength training, my weight didn't drop and I didn't have that shape I wanted. Cardio just doesn't do it for me.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    But you use more muscles and strength with insanity. Muscle burns more calories for a longer period. There for burning more calories through out the day??
  • MzzNkki
    MzzNkki Posts: 57
    Options
    im by far no expert .... but with insanity at the same time burning calories helping develop muscle tone -- google it ive read into it -- its gonna depend on your overall goals which youd prefer -- say for me right now my main goal is weight loss so im hard on cardio -I am about to start 30 min strength toning 2x week (muscle burns more calories when body at rest) - planning on working in insanity and p90x later down the line once I loose some weight .... so far 1 month faithfully working out and tracking lost 10 lbs!
  • elgrande01
    elgrande01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    But with insanity your getting toned. My first month using insanity I only lost 4 lbs in a month. The second month first 3 weeks I lost 7 lbs.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming insanity uses a lot more strength training as the core of the workout. I have never done it but from what I am reading, it's mainly about strength. Strength training can definitely be harder work than cardio in some cases, but strength training burns fewer calories because while it is work it isn't getting your blood flowing at the same rate as your cardio workouts. However, muscle burns more calories while resting so in the long run, your body will continue to burn calories even after you finish your workout with muscle building. They both have their advantages!