Muscle gained???

Options
I have had my goal weight set the same since I started MFP 145 days ago. I lost 10 pounds from eating healthier and cardio exercising. Then I hit a plateau. So I began incorporating some weight training as well and have liked the toning I have been seeing. But I was still at a plateau. I then increased my calorie intake from 1400 per day to 1800 thinking that my body may have gone into starvation mode from all the extra calories burned. But I'm still 2 pounds away from my goal. Is it possible that I have hit my goal, weight wise, but because of the weight training have had an increase in lean muscle? And this is why I haven't hit that goal? Any comments?

Replies

• ashleexmarie
    Options
    I don't think so. When I reached a plateau I looked at what I was eating. For example if I was eating mainly carbs, I switched it up and added more protein and vice versa. It seemed to work for me. You might want to try lowering your calories again back down to 1400 for a week and see if that works.
  • 1Social_Misfit
    Options
    try measuring your body fat and forget about applying so much focus on your weight. I gained 10lbs since I began weight training but have decreased my body fat percentage, so it's a good thing. I've recently seen before and after pictures of people who have gained up to 20 lbs, with tons of lost inches, and physically appear much thinner, toner, sexier. It is true that musle weighs more than fat. I don't think you will find anyone who disagrees with this.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I agree. Don't look at the scale but take measurements, body fat and go from there
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    don't look at the scale anymore (or if you do dont use it as a goal). if you are now weight training then use the mirror. is your shape changing, are you seeing your muscles pop? are you dropping BF%?

the fact taht you have added in weight lifting means your goals are not about weight but about strength and muscle (how your body looks), so focus on that. and yes, when you add in weight training your # on the scale will change.

my weight # hasnt moved in months and i am lifting four times a week but i've lost body fat and gained muscle. I wouldn't expect it to move to much but in the mirror it has surely changed. hpe this helps
  • NikiMorgan27
    Options
    Thank you for the comments. I do see a difference in the mirror. I did check my body fat percentage about a week ago. I was actually surprised at how high it was, but it was only taken from one spot, so maybe I'll do it more acurately from different spots on my body and see if it's different. I guess if I'm going to gain anything I'm glad it will be muscle! Thanks everyone!