Eating 1200 Calories but not loosing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is a very common thing for those who are under eating. I can't tell you how many plateau threads or other people who can not lose because they eat 1200 calories a day. And 1.5 lbs a week will be too aggressive at this point. Really a goal of 1 lb per week would be better. In fact, the majority of women I know are losing at 1700-2100 calories total. Even many of them in their 50's.

Also, you can't gain new fat until you exceed your TDEE. So adding a few hundred calories a week for a few weeks will not make you gain new fat, only add some water weight. And since what you are doing now is failing, why not try to set your goal at 1700 calories and not eat back exercise calories to see how you do. And since you are young, you will definitely need more calories. But based on your stats, 1700 total calories would be good. Just make sure you are accurately tracking and measuring.

One last thing, change up your exercise and start weight training. Do like 3-4 days of heavy weight lifting and 1-2 days of bike. You will see better composition changes doing this and get a lot stronger.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    This is a very common thing for those who are under eating. I can't tell you how many plateau threads or other people who can not lose because they eat 1200 calories a day. And 1.5 lbs a week will be too aggressive at this point. Really a goal of 1 lb per week would be better. In fact, the majority of women I know are losing at 1700-2100 calories total. Even many of them in their 50's.

Also, you can't gain new fat until you exceed your TDEE. So adding a few hundred calories a week for a few weeks will not make you gain new fat, only add some water weight. And since what you are doing now is failing, why not try to set your goal at 1700 calories and not eat back exercise calories to see how you do. And since you are young, you will definitely need more calories. But based on your stats, 1700 total calories would be good. Just make sure you are accurately tracking and measuring.

One last thing, change up your exercise and start weight training. Do like 3-4 days of heavy weight lifting and 1-2 days of bike. You will see better composition changes doing this and get a lot stronger.

All of this is very true.

However, I'm guessing the OP is overly concerned (obsessed?) with scale weight. The minute she increases her cals (or starts weight training), she's likely to see a small increase due to water weigth, which will send her panicing.

First thing she needs to do is get her feet back under her and have a more level headed, patient, realistic approach.
  • psuLemon
    Options

All of this is very true.

However, I'm guessing the OP is overly concerned (obsessed?) with scale weight. The minute she increases her cals (or starts weight training), she's likely to see a small increase due to water weigth, which will send her panicing.

First thing she needs to do is get her feet back under her and have a more level headed, patient, realistic approach.

Yes, this is true. But the sooner a person learns it, the faster they will see results.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You may be gaining lean muscle mass (a good thing)! Forget about the scale, and pull out a measuring tape to see if you are dropping inches.

Not on 1000 calories a day.
  • sallyracket
    sallyracket Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    a 3 week stall after losing so much is a totally normal weight loss pattern.

Chances are, you're body is used to your exercise and eating routine. It's adapted and to see another loss you'll need to change something up.

You can try to add length or intensity to your workouts. Maybe try adding some push ups, jumping jacks, and squats after your cardio.

Also try to change up the time of day you consume calories. Try to eat a HUGE breakfast one day then a small one the next. You basically want your body to keep guessing.

Don't give up, you got this. Chances are you'll see a big loss very soon. :)
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya. Started at 1000-1100. Told to bump up. I'm older and shorter. My weight has even out even though I am adding weight lifting and working out. Initially started with 20 minute walk and now working on c2k5 (3x-4x week) and lifting arms weights 2x a week. Mine is stuck too. When I raised the calories I ended up gaining not that week but the next. I did have a panel of blood work done. No major problems. Now I am 1200 and have been for 4 weeks...not losing.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You may be gaining lean muscle mass (a good thing)! Forget about the scale, and pull out a measuring tape to see if you are dropping inches.

Not on 1000 calories a day.

^This.
  • pearl1999
    pearl1999 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm just scared that if I increase my calories, I'll gain a much weight!! Arghh this is so frustrating :(
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm just scared that if I increase my calories, I'll gain a much weight!! Arghh this is so frustrating :(

Perhaps you should do some more reading. Educating yourself is the best way to overcome irrational fears.
  • pearl1999
    pearl1999 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm going to read some of the eat more to weigh less articles and hopefully that will help me as well
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Relaxed Fit Pants. Defintiely fit looser in the waist and thighs. Wait...wut?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

On less than 1200 calories ..... no way! :noway:
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you're probably overestimating your calorie intake...i.e. you're not logging everything or you're not weighing and/or otherwise measuring your ingredients and portions. You have no idea how many people I come across on this site who do things like log a serving of chicken breast (4oz) but really, they ate about double that since the average, actual chicken breast is closer to 8 oz and often more.

Log, and log accurately.

This.

Ditto...
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Reduce the loss goal to 1/2 or 1 pound per week, add weight/cardio training. Your calorie goal will be no where near 1200 and you will not only see weight loss but lean muscle mass growth. Thin is not sexy fit is.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I am one of those oddballs that loses less or even gains weight if I eat more. Shocking, isn't it? :bigsmile:

Anyway, I have to agree with the earlier poster about portions or missed items. If the math is right the scale will move.

oh me too!!!....bugger, isnt it....I sooooo long to be "eat more to weigh less"...some people have all the ruddy luck!!
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous poster. You may not be eating enough. Our bodies have built in mechanisms to guard against starvation. If you are not feeding it enough, it will hold onto everything you give it thinking that there is a food shortage. Try eating your excercise calories for a week and eating every 2-3 hours and see if you see a difference. If you do that and you don't see a difference, I agree about getting some bloodwork done. There might be some underlying problem messing with your metabolism ( i.e.- thyroid issues) that is keeping you from losing the weight.

I womder if anorexics have this problem....or for that matter....the starving in the Biafra region of Nigeria??
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm going to read some of the eat more to weigh less articles and hopefully that will help me as well

Do research on tdee and bmr. If your calories dont exceed tdee, then you cant gain new fat. I have a desk job and workout for an hour a day. I eat 2500 calories a day lose 1 lb per week. This means my tdee is 3000 calories. So while I can gain weight at less than 3000 calories due to water fluctuations I can not gain new muscle or fat until I exceed 3000 calories.
  • caviggia
    caviggia Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I think we all want fast weight loss, I use to too when I was younger, but I found it harder to keep off back then and now I get why. Here is some info that might help your situation.

Here is a guy that knows about nutrition and that talks about why eating such low net calories can be damaging. My friend showed me and it's an eye opener when he explains your metabolism.

He even suggests a slow way to start to bring your metabolism back up but its a slow weekly process, especially if its been low net calories for a while. It's free to watch and short/informative.

heres the link: http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/biolayne-video-log-15-metabolic-damage-v2-0-metabolic-capacity/

Good luck on your journey
  • katiebenson12
    katiebenson12 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested eating 5-6 small meals a day. My meals consist of a protein, carb and a fruit or vegetable with 2-3 of these meals a day. For example, I might have a yogurt, 1/2 bagel with nutella. The benefits of eating 5/6 small meals a day? My blood sugar stays consistent and I have found that I actually eat less calories and stay satisfied. I also make sure to take a meal off once a week so I don't feel deprived.