Anxiety, Depression, OCD, PTSD and others

Options
I started a thread last week sometime, asking if there were others who had a "psychological" disorder that they were working through while also trying to lose weight. I welcome anyone who is feeling the stress of their disorder to post here for support and to share their thoughts and feelings. Realistically, I won't post this thread daily, but hopefully at least once per week I'll remember to post. And feel free to keep bumping this thread up, or to start a new one if you feel it's been too long.

Our struggles are just as real as those who have physical illness, and are just as much of a setback. Please don't feel strange or embarrassed to post. We're all here to support.

:flowerforyou:

How are you feeling today?

Replies

• kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I didn't see your post last week while I was out of touch, so I'll respond here.

I've been challenged by various levels of diagnosed depression for almost 20 years, and undiagnosed a few years before that. I have to take daily medication for that, just the same as a diabetic would...real illness, manifested both physically and emotionally/mentally.

I have some anxiety, but actually exercising helps that (sometimes). I am somewhat OCD, but not being treated specifically for that...the OCD affects me in this journey as well as other aspects...if I can't have something PERFECT (and now) I don't want it all, or to do it! Somehow, the weight doesn't disappear overnight though. LOL
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    Hi Christina. (((hugs)))

I should have mentioned that I have anxiety disorder and depression. I also have a form of OCD that goes along with a phobia that I have.

Thanks for sharing your situation. It's important for us to all have those reminders that just because we aren't "cough" sick, doesn't mean that we don't still have an illness. It's difficult for those around us to remember that, too.

Having depression, for me, makes it difficult to get myself geared up enough to care about exercising. I think that exercising helps keep the "Bad" emotions at bay somewhat, but (as you may know) it's a vicious cycle of "exercising makes me feel better, but I have to feel good enough to exercise first".
  • KrissyD70
    Options
    I also have depression and anxiety and have finally found a medication combination that works for me. It took many years. Depression/anxiety is so life changing and hard to handle. I eat when I'm depressed, hence the weight problem. I learned from an early age to stuff my feelings with food. It is a hard habit to break. I agree that these illnesses are just as real as diabetes or high blood pressure. Sometimes our brains just don't make enough or the right kind of chemicals.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    I replied last week but will reply again. Depression runs deep in my family and I have inherited it greatly. I have suffered undiagnosed for years. It is only within the last 4 years I have been treated. I am now on Symbyax which seems to have it under control very well.

I also have some anxiety and panic attacks at times.

I think it helps greatly that I have started eating healthier and walking more. It gives me more energy and puts my mind in a better place.

All in all .... feeling pretty good lately.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have a family history of depression as well and I have suffered from it from time to time. I almost went on meds but decided against it. I find that when I am healthy I feel much better. I suffer from seasonal depression which I am hoping to combat this winter by skiing. I have had a lot of anxiety and panic attacks in the past, I found that cutting out caffeine and energy drinks helped a bit but not completely, I have to use mind over matter when I get one since I am not the type of person who likes to take medication (but no judgement to those that do, my problems are mild compared to some). I have found that taking actions to improve my life and being fit has helped immensely.
  • LadyJahnya
    Options
    I have Borderline Personality Disorder which includes depression, anxiety, social phobias, and constant thoughts of suicide. Sadly this is a behavioral issue and I can only treat the symptoms with meds. The rest is relearning behavior. It's a sort of PTSD. I've been in treatment since 2004 and am down to only anxiety medication. The hardest part is that so few people understand this disorder and even less want to learn about it, so after three divorces in twenty years, I deal with it all on my own now.

I've been losing weight since 2006 and I can say I've lost nearly 50 pounds. I'm down to the final dreaded 10. I really need to add working out to my routine, but as we all know for the most part depression kills the desire. I started losing weight in hopes that it would help my self image and give me more courage to be a happier person and do things I enjoy. It has helped, some.

Now if I can just get past the social phobias so I can get out and meet people!
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    thank you for the posting. i suffer from a slew of mental problems my last diagnosis was schizoaffective disorder but i mainly have depression and anxiety as well. its a bit of a challenge but day to day activies i seem to work best with like having a routine during the day. so add me everyone so we can keep in touch... much hugs to those who suffer from any aliment
  • ladyofivy
    Options
    KrissyD70: I eat when I'm depressed, hence the weight problem. I learned from an early age to stuff my feelings with food. It is a hard habit to break.

Me too.
    KrissyD70: I agree that these illnesses are just as real as diabetes or high blood pressure. Sometimes our brains just don't make enough or the right kind of chemicals.

Yes, this is definitely important to remember--that the illness is also *physical*.
    jdsouthernbelle : All in all .... feeling pretty good lately.

So glad to hear this! :smile:
    Allibaba: I have to use mind over matter when I get one since I am not the type of person who likes to take medication (but no judgement to those that do, my problems are mild compared to some). I have found that taking actions to improve my life and being fit has helped immensely.

Yes, I find that mind over matter is a very important step in this process. I don't take meds either... I don't like taking them. I had a doctor tell me that I should never go off of them, but I want to work hard to battle it myself first.
    LadyJahnya: I have Borderline Personality Disorder which includes depression, anxiety, social phobias, and constant thoughts of suicide. Sadly this is a behavioral issue and I can only treat the symptoms with meds. The rest is relearning behavior. It's a sort of PTSD. I've been in treatment since 2004 and am down to only anxiety medication. The hardest part is that so few people understand this disorder and even less want to learn about it, so after three divorces in twenty years, I deal with it all on my own now.

This is really upsetting to me. I'm glad that you seem to be taking it one moment at a time. I'm so sorry to hear how difficult this is to live with. I'm genuinely here to listen, if you ever want to send me a message and talk. I understand to the extent that I can, having anxiety and depression myself.
    LadyJahnya: Now if I can just get past the social phobias so I can get out and meet people!

THIS is inspiring to me! You are DOING it! :flowerforyou:
    flsunshine: thank you for the posting. i suffer from a slew of mental problems my last diagnosis was schizoaffective disorder but i mainly have depression and anxiety as well. its a bit of a challenge but day to day activies i seem to work best with like having a routine during the day. so add me everyone so we can keep in touch... much hugs to those who suffer from any aliment

That's really wonderful that you're here and willing to make friends with others who have these illnesses. :flowerforyou: You are obviously a very caring person. :smile:
  • krisakira
    Options
    hi there! I have "psychological disorders" too, I have major depression, panic disorder, and PTSD. Ever since my first panic attack, I have gained 120 pounds. I don't know whether it is from the disorder or the meds or both. It is very hard for me to go hungry (i get anxiety and panic attacks when hungry) which is why i have not tried to lose weight too much up until now. I am really trying to overcome my fear of hunger, but it is really hard. Especially at night. I cannot get to sleep on an empty stomach. So what i do is try to eat dinner late, around 7pm, so I don't get too hungry before bedtime.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Well, let's see. I have a Binge Eating Disorder, or BED. I also suffer from panic attacks, social anxiety, and depression. I also have a few forms of OCD, I compulsively clean, reorganize, count, etc. My psychological issues are endless, but needless to say no excuse for anything that's gone wrong in my life.

SO I'm here trying to gain control of the one and only thing that I should control which is my health and weight.

I've been struggling with my OCD overlapping into my weightloss as well, as I'm forced to count/measure everything I eat. Weight loss is a numbers game so I've been struggling with not getting completely lost in it. I've found myself planning out meals down to the very morsel or calorie. I tend to panic if anything for any reason is out of order or needs to be changed.

Anybody else struggle with this?
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    When I first became periomenopausal, I developed Panic Disorder. I am still on a low dose of medication because, as I said to my doctor, the thought of not taking it makes me panic :noway:

Mential illnesses are every bit as real as physical conditions. Isn't the brain phsycial? It can suffer from all sorts of things, just like an arm, leg or organ.

It's great that a thread has been started so that everyone can see you are not alone - there are many of us sharing the same thing. Some diagnosed.. some not yet. IF you have any concerns about whether the feelings you have are beyond "normal', please see your doctor. You deserve the best care you can get for yourself and you should never let shame or fear prevent you from getting it.
  • ladyofivy
    Options
    krisakira:
    hi there! I have "psychological disorders" too, I have major depression, panic disorder, and PTSD. Ever since my first panic attack, I have gained 120 pounds. I don't know whether it is from the disorder or the meds or both. It is very hard for me to go hungry (i get anxiety and panic attacks when hungry) which is why i have not tried to lose weight too much up until now. I am really trying to overcome my fear of hunger, but it is really hard. Especially at night. I cannot get to sleep on an empty stomach. So what i do is try to eat dinner late, around 7pm, so I don't get too hungry before bedtime.

That must be such a challenge, having gained so much weight after beginning panic attacks. I can somewhat relate to panicking from going hungry; I have hypoglycemia, so I would panic if I didn't eat for too long, that I might pass out because of it. My phobia relates to diseases/dying, so when I start to shake from not eating it makes me worry that something worse is happening, like my organs are shutting down or something. You're not alone! I hope that MFP helps you through this. It's a tough thing to deal with. I'm here if you need to chat.
    Pattywantstolosew
    Well, let's see. I have a Binge Eating Disorder, or BED. I also suffer from panic attacks, social anxiety, and depression. I also have a few forms of OCD, I compulsively clean, reorganize, count, etc. My psychological issues are endless, but needless to say no excuse for anything that's gone wrong in my life.

SO I'm here trying to gain control of the one and only thing that I should control which is my health and weight.

I've been struggling with my OCD overlapping into my weightloss as well, as I'm forced to count/measure everything I eat. Weight loss is a numbers game so I've been struggling with not getting completely lost in it. I've found myself planning out meals down to the very morsel or calorie. I tend to panic if anything for any reason is out of order or needs to be changed.

Anybody else struggle with this?

While I don't struggle with the same type of OCD, I understand the frustration it causes. I have a "checking" issue related to the disease phobia I have. I am always "checking" to see if I have a "symptom" of some kind. I think the OCD I have is much lesser than it sounds like what you have. It must be very frustrating to have to feed into the illness as it sounds like you do. Are you in therapy for this?
    Sharont213:

When I first became periomenopausal, I developed Panic Disorder. I am still on a low dose of medication because, as I said to my doctor, the thought of not taking it makes me panic

Mential illnesses are every bit as real as physical conditions. Isn't the brain phsycial? It can suffer from all sorts of things, just like an arm, leg or organ.

It's great that a thread has been started so that everyone can see you are not alone - there are many of us sharing the same thing. Some diagnosed.. some not yet. IF you have any concerns about whether the feelings you have are beyond "normal', please see your doctor. You deserve the best care you can get for yourself and you should never let shame or fear prevent you from getting it.

I love the comparison of the brain to the arm or leg. Great comparison. It gives me something to say when I feel like someone else can't understand how I'm feeling. Thank you for that. :flowerforyou:
  • Яaquel
    Яaquel Posts: 90
    Options
    I suffer from panic attacks, social anxiety, and depression ugh!! Imma Bump this so I can read & reply later =D
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and depression and I'm and emotional eater. I was in Depakote in 2004'ish which I believe led to most of my weight gain. About a month ago I took myself off of the buproprion (Wellbutrin) I was on. I only take clonazepam now for the anxiety. I'm feeling really good most of the time. My hubby is my mood gauge as I don't always notice when I'm crabby. I don't think anything will ever make all of my worries go away....just have to learn how to control it. This is a great thread - I'll be looking forward to reading all of the replies!!

Friend me if you need support!!