Is Artic Zero actual food???

Options
I am having a strong ice cream craving, but I live in fear of eating real ice cream:frown: I heard that "Artic Zero" is a low calorie and zero fat "ice cream." But I mean, what takes the place of ice cream ingredients.... It sounds like an ideal diet food, but I don't want to be putting toxins into my body by the spoonful. Has anyone tried it? It also claims its only about 150 calories for a whole pint? Is that accurate?

Replies

• gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I tried it. It was awful. I'd like to describe the flavor for you, but it was so bad I've actually blocked it out of my mind.
  • AlexandraStyles101
    Options
    wow....that bad? may i ask, what flavour did you try?
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I tried the chocolate. Once. It was terrible. So bad that I tried one bite and threw the rest away. And I am an ice cream lover!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You don't need to worry about toxins.

That said I would just eat real ice cream. I like Talenti gelato but it's kind of high calorie so my backup is Edy's Slow Churned.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The flavor wasn't all that bad. I've tried chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, chocolate mint, and maple vanilla. All the flavors were totally acceptable. Nothing fantastic, but definitely not bad.

The texture, however, is another thing.

This is will not pass as regular ice cream. It is way too hard and icy for that. It's not creamy like regular ice cream, and you really have to let it soften before you can get a scoop. It is icy in texture, almost like Italian ice.

It can be acceptable as a desert, just as long as you're not expecting to be fooled into thinking its regular ice cream.
  • gigglybeth
    Options
    I remember it being brown, so I'm assuming they were claiming it was chocolate.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I couldn't even imagine to think what they have used to keep the cals down, I would rather just have little bowls of ice creams the that chemical filled stuff.
  • miseducation1327
    miseducation1327 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It actually isn't filled with toxins. Read the ingredients.
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I tried the chocolate peanut butter, and it was beyond awful. I bent my spoon trying to even get a bite.

And a friend told me the next day that they had been called out on calorie discrepancies with some of them having double the reported calories...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2191036/How-diet-ice-cream-68per-cent-calories-think-The-skinny-frozen-dessert-label-lies.html
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I actually really like TCBY's frozen greek yogurt. It's fat free, and it's 200 calories a cup. So not as low as Arctic Zero, which I haven't tried, but it's actually creamy and delicious. NO taste compromise IMHO.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    omg.

someone said ice cream.

And yeahhhh. stick with the real deal. I like the "natural" ones different companies make. Milk, sugar, real flavors. etc.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It's horrible, horrible, awful and horrible. It's like slightly milky ice. Rock hard and flavorless. It's a pint of disappointment.

ETA: I actually threw it out. And I never throw out ice cream. I have a pint of peppermint gelato that's been in the freezer since mid-December and I won't throw it out. I tried the Arctic Zero once, decided I wasn't hungry enough, tried it again a few days later realized I was hungry and it was still awful and then tossed the pint.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it, but after reading the responses, I will stick with my weight watchers ice cream. I always save 150 calories for a cup every night.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Why won't you just eat ice cream? Get one of those Haagen Dazs portioned ones, if you're afraid of over doing it.
  • PamShebamm
    PamShebamm Posts: 54
    Options
    Eat the real stuff. Like everyone already said, Arctic Zero tastes nasty.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an alergic condition or something where you have to substitute, don't go there.

You won't satisfy the urge and you may end up eating more calories than you intended trying to. Either settle for a small portion of what you really want or find a way to balance out the calories to treat yourself once in a while to a reasonable portion. A tiny scoop of real ice cream is infinitely better than a huge bowl of a low calorie fake dessert. You can't fool your mind or your body. They know what the real thing is.

I'm eating some excellent and butterfat rich local homemade ice cream a couple times a week and still dropping the pounds. I only get the kiddie size and make up the calories by cutting somewhere else and burning more calories. That's the deal I allow myself and it's well worth it.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    It actually isn't filled with toxins. Read the ingredients.

we don't have it where I'm from, So no i cannot read the ingredients.

I'm was just imagining what it could be.
  • gigglybeth
    Options
    It's a pint of disappointment.

Truth.
  • onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's mostly made out of whey protein and a bunch of emulsifiers and stabilizers and flavours and things. But essentially it's a frozen protein shake.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I am having a strong ice cream craving, but I live in fear of eating real ice cream:frown: I heard that "Artic Zero" is a low calorie and zero fat "ice cream." But I mean, what takes the place of ice cream ingredients.... It sounds like an ideal diet food, but I don't want to be putting toxins into my body by the spoonful. Has anyone tried it? It also claims its only about 150 calories for a whole pint? Is that accurate?

If it is on the label it has to be accurate.

Do you define it as food?
    Why have you not read my low fat/ no fat psa?