Vegetarian on a diet? Is it possible

Options
I have been vegetarian for a year, but am now trying to lose some weight. My calorie intake is 1500 and seems almost impossible to stay full! What do I do? What can I eat without going straight to the cheese, milk, and bread? What ever i was doing in the last year only allowed me to maintain my current weight.

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Fill up on fruit and veggies.... add in beans and nuts for protein. Exercise more to eat more.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Protein and healthy fats.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i hear ya! I blame becoming a vegetarian as one of the factors (one so ppl dont freak) leading to my obesity. Feel free to check my diary, there's a whole world of food we can eat, fear not!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I second protein and healthy fats. I have been a vegetarian since 1995. I made bad choices for many, many, many years. I finally figured out the good choices.

Feel free to add me as a friend (anyone can). I log every sip and bite everyday.

OH and ETA: DO NOT consider it a "diet"!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for a year, but am now trying to lose some weight. My calorie intake is 1500 and seems almost impossible to stay full! What do I do? What can I eat without going straight to the cheese, milk, and bread? What ever i was doing in the last year only allowed me to maintain my current weight.

Brown rice instead of bread
    Breakfast: try steel cut oats with diced apple or other fruit
    Lentils (the protein in 1 cup of lentils = the protein in 3 eggs)
    Other beans (they provide protein)
    All veggies, which will fill you up... butternut squash, acorn squash, summer squash, broccoli, cabbage, kale, spinach, carrots, radishes, onions, etc. etc. Blanch, steam, or stir fry.
    Avocado = fat in your diet, adds calories
    Nuts = protein
    You can make your own soups, from vegetable soup to miso soup
    Condiments: try dry roasted/toasted sesame seeds or Tamari
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for six years and it is definitely possible! I usually plan on one more "carby" meal per day-- pasta, sandwich, etc.-- and the rest of the day I make sure to base all of my meals on fruits, veggies, and nuts.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian, but I find things like tofu, tempeh, and seitan quite filling. Increase your fiber and get more protein into your diet along with healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil, avocado. I also really enjoy the sprouted grain breads, they're very hefty with seeds/nuts/etc and are more filling than plain white bread.

Edit- There's a really good vegan cookbook called Appetite for Reduction if you like to cook. She's got some pretty yummy vegan recipes.
  • GammaKathy
    GammaKathy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Its very doable! But gaining as a vegetarian is also very doable! I function as a lacto-ova vegetarian and got to my highest weight that way, but have taken off 31+ since late Sept. 2012 that same way. As has already been said mix up your different types of proteins from grains, legumes, nuts, dairy, eggs and yes even some veggies and you will get the "complete" proteins you need. It's actually kind of fun when people at work look at your plate and get totally confused trying to figure out what you are eating. Have fun with your creations! Good luck on this journey!
  • toobootylicious
    toobootylicious Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HollisGrant offers great advice and many of my favorite foods! I make a new recipe at least once a week using Google, Vegetarian Times and http://www.tastespotting.com. I have a subscription to veg times but most of their recipes are available online. I make low cal versions by doubling vegetables, lots of protein and keeping white sugar/wheat out of my meals.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It's actually kind of fun when people at work look at your plate and get totally confused trying to figure out what you are eating.

THIS. This is the best feeling in the world. I was conducting a series of interviews with one of my student organizations, and we spent about 6 straight hours in the interview room. I had made a quinoa salad for dinner, and it was sitting on the table. My friends spent the entire night trying to figure out what it was that I was eating.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    bump I need help with this too.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Dairy was the death of me when I went from vegan to vegetarian. I try to eat a lot more fresh vegetables (particularly spinach) and unprocessed proteins (beans, nuts, etc.) instead of cheese. For the sake of time, I still eat the fake meats, but I try to keep a balance at least. You will be amazed how many vegetables you can eat without going over your calories (and how little cheese you can have without doing the same). Good luck, and feel free to add me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Being a vegetarian is the same as being a meat eater re weight loss...just without the meat. Eat seitan, tofu and soy products, quorn etc instead of meat. Foods like lentils and quinoa are good 'fillers' and have decent protein.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i have been a vegan for 8 1/2 years so feel free to look at my diary or friend me.
  • ERAY13
    ERAY13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Can you eat soy? Consider reading The Soy Zone, which is the Zone diet for vegetarians. It basically describes how you need to be eating protein-rich soy at each meal (or dairy) -roughly 20-25 grams of protein. Vegetarians just don't get a lot of protein. I know many resent hearing that, but I often don't run across a lot of thin vegetarians or vegans, and I'm sure that's a major component - they replace meat with grains. Grains are not a meat replacement. Things like Dairy, Eggs, and Soy are. Really consider soy in your diet. This can mean tofu, soy protein powder mixed in with your oatmeal, cereal milk, or smoothies, a generous serving of cheese on your salad, adding boca crumbles to your spaghetti sauce, etc. Dr. Sears also recommends really watching your grain intake. I saw a difference on the scale and my body right away after following this. And if you can do dairy and eggs, even better. Just be sure to stick to protein, veggies, and fruit. Cut back on the grain-y carbs. I swear you won't even miss them bc you will feel full from his recommendations. Beans can be a good source of protein (Esp. black beans) but they are also high in carbs, so treat them as a meal within themselves....don't eat them with other grains. :)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Don't eat soy. It's estrogenic. Really bad for your health.
  • jillianlamb
    jillianlamb Posts: 29
    Options
    Another vegetarian here, for about nine and half years now. I'd check out the group here I'm (and a few thousand other vegetarians are) apart of called Happy Herbivores. There's a ton of great info and resources there.
    xx
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian, but I find things like tofu, tempeh, and seitan quite filling. Increase your fiber and get more protein into your diet along with healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil, avocado. I also really enjoy the sprouted grain breads, they're very hefty with seeds/nuts/etc and are more filling than plain white bread.

Edit- There's a really good vegan cookbook called Appetite for Reduction if you like to cook. She's got some pretty yummy vegan recipes.

THIS regarding the Appetite for Reduction Cookbook. I have made half of the 125 recipes & only have found a couple I haven't liked. Most are pretty filling too. There's also a series of Cookbooks called Happy Herbivore> I have all three but haven't made too many because I can't pry AFR out of my hands! :)
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's actually kind of fun when people at work look at your plate and get totally confused trying to figure out what you are eating.

THIS. This is the best feeling in the world. I was conducting a series of interviews with one of my student organizations, and we spent about 6 straight hours in the interview room. I had made a quinoa salad for dinner, and it was sitting on the table. My friends spent the entire night trying to figure out what it was that I was eating.

LOL! I brought hummus w/ veggies to a class potluck once years ago. Everyone stared at it oddly and only the instructor knew what it was! More hummus for us! Now hummus seems to be everywhere! :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Don't eat soy. It's estrogenic. Really bad for your health.

No it's not.