Vegetarian Recipes?

Options
memmers
memmers Posts: 112
Just recently went vegetarian and looking for some great recipes! Thanks :)

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    some links i love:
    chocolatecoveredkatie.com (mostly desserts but she has main meals on there too)
    theppk.com (vegan but can adapt if you use dairy/eggs)
    vegetariantimes.com
    allrecipes.com, there is a vegetarian section

a lot of things i make, i will use like a normal recipe and just sub either meatless grounds instead of ground beef, or tofu, or meatless chicken strips. or i will make my own seitan which you can use in recipes in place of steak strips or chicken.

i will give you a handful of recipes i make frequently, feel free to message me if you have any questions or need any more ideas (i have been veg 11 years now).

good staple foods to have in the house are beans (chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, etc), quinoa, rice, pasta, tons of veg fresh and frozen (you can buy fresh peppers, onions, spinach, zucchini and freeze them), i always have wheat gluten to make seitan, and i always try to keep a bag of boca or quorn ground crumbles, i usually have veg burgers (those are very easy to make ahead and then freeze for later). i always have whole wheat tortillas and bread too, cheese slices, fruit, and easy snacks like nuts, seeds, rice cakes, yogurt, granola, applesauce, oats, etc.

here are some breakfasts i make frequently
    ps, these mostly serve 1-2 people

"apple pie" otmeal (serves 1)
    1/2 cup dry quick oats
    1 cup water or milk
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 stevia packet
    cinnamon
    cook oatmeal as directed, mix in applesauce cinnamon and stevia.

chocolate oatmeal (serves 1)
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1 cup water
    1/2 -1 scoop natures bounty chocolate and vitamin powder
    cook oatmeal as directed, mix in chocolate powder. also good with pb added

breakfast burrito (serves 1)
    1 tortilla
    2 eggs, scrambled
    red onion, diced
    mushrooms, sliced
    bell peppers, sliced
    salsa
    sour cream
    avocado slices
    scramble eggs, sautee peppers onion and mushroom, add in salsa, sour cream, avocado, any other toppings and wrap into a burrito

protein pancakes (serves 1-2), makes 6 pancakes
    3/4 cup greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
    1 egg white
    1/4 cup unbleached flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    2/3 cup vanilla protein powder
    mix wet ingredients (yogurt and eggwhite) in one bowl, and dry in another. spoon onto a greased skillet, and once top begins to bubble flip and cook as regular pancakes. makes about 6

lunches/dinners

zucchini boats (serves 1)
    1 medium zucchini, sliced in half and gut out the insides, set those aside
    1/8 - 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce (depends how much sauce you want)
    1/2 cup meatless grounds (ie boca, morning star, quorn, etc)
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp diced red onion
    1/8 - 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella (depends how much cheese you like)
    slice zucchini in half, gut out insides and set aside. in a skillet, spray and cook meatless grounds, add in zucchini guts, garlic, and onion and sautee. stuff the zucchini with the mixture, top with spaghetti sauce and shredded cheese. bake in oven at 350 for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted

eggplant curry (this makes more of 3-4 servings, good leftovers though)
    1 eggplant, diced
    1 bell pepper, diced
    2/3 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed or an equal amount of diced onion
    1/4 tsp ground mustard
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    1/4 tsp cumin
    or you can use a curry paste already made at the store
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1/2 cup coconut milk (i use coconut milk instead of regular milk, so you can just use the kind that they sell to drink, no need to buy it in a can or anything)
    in a large pot, cook onions and peppers. add in spices and tomato paste and stir well, add in eggplant and cover, let this cook until the eggplant is soft. add in coconut milk and stir until warm.
    i like to eat this over couscous, also would be good on its own, over rice, or over quinoa

fajitas (serves 4)
    3 bell peppers (1 red, 1 yellow and 1 green)
    1/2 an onion, chopped
    1 container sliced mushrooms
    fajita sized tortilla
    sautee peppers mushroom and onions until very soft. season with optional spices such as chili powder, cumin, cayenne. they also sell packaged fajita mix. serve on a toritlla, add avcado, salsa, cheese etc if desired

stroganoff (serves 2)
    1 cup ground meatless crumbles or seitan
    3/4 cup canned mushrooms or use fresh mushrooms
    1 bell pepper, diced
    1 cup progresso cream of mushroom soup
    4 oz egg noodles or 1 package of shirataki noodles (for lower cal/carb option).
    spray pan, cook meatless grounds. add peppers and mushrooms and cook a few more minutes. mix in cream of mushroom soup until warm. serve over egg noodles or shirataki noodles. you can also add onion and garlic for extra flavor

tofu veggie stir fry over shirataki noodles (makes 1 huge serving or 2 serving)
    1 package shirataki noodles, drained and rinsed
    2/3 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    2 cup frozen broccoli stirfry (broccoli, peppers, onion, mushrooms, water chestnuts) or just add these ingredients separately
    1/2 cup pepper and onion mix
    2/5 block of tofu, sliced and patted dry
    optional sauces: sweet n sour, soy, teryiaki
    drain and rinse noodles well until "fishy" smell is gone. cook in a sprayed skillet until they become dry, about 7 to 10 minutes. remove noodles, spray pan again and cook tofu slices until each side is starting to brown. add the vegetables and noodles back to the skillet and cook until everything is heated through. top with whatever stir fry sauce.

vegan slow cooker soup (this makes like 8-10 servings, i like to bring it to work for the week)
    1/2 head cabbage, sliced into chunks
    9 oz baby carrots
    2 cups sliced mushroom
    3 red potatos, sliced into chunks
    1/2 block of tofu, cut into squares
    1 bell pepper
    5 cup vegetable stock or half that and half water
    1 can diced tomatos in juice
    spices to taste such as garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, basil
    mix all ingredients together in the slow cooker and cook 8 hours on low

sushi bowls (serves 2)
    2 servings of rice, cooked according to directions
    10 slices cucumber, cut in half or quarters
    1/2 cup cooked asparagus
    1/2 cup edamame, steamed
    3 oz baby carrots, cooked in water to soften
    avocado
    1-2 tbsp cream cheese, diced into cubes (optional)
    1/2 nori sheet
    soy sauce, wasabi, ginger, etc
    cook rice, add in cucumber, asparagus, edamame, carrots, avocado, cream cheese if desired and top with soy sauce, wasabi, other sushi fixings

spinach artichoke stuffed mushrooms (makes 5-6 large stuffed mushroom caps)
    1 package large portobello mushroom caps or bell peppers
    1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
    8 tbsp shredded romano asiago parmesan blend
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 container artichoke hearts, drained and finely diced (can puree)
    1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    1 tsp basil
    1 container fat free cream cheese
    shredded mozzarella
    mix all ingredients in a bowl. clean out mushrooms, or you can even stuff bell pepper. divide filling, and sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top and bake in the oven at around 350 until chees melts

black bean enchilada casserole (serves 6 to 8)
    4 enchilada sized tortillas
    1-2 large slices onion, diced
    1 cup enchilada sauce
    1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup frozen pepper and onion mix, thawed and drained
    1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
    1 cup shredded cheese such as cheddar or a cheddar jack mix
    spray a baking pan, layer tortilla on bottom and top with black beans, spinach, peppers, onion, mushrooms, enchilada sauce, cheese. repeat later and top with enchilada sauce and cheese. bake at 350 until cheese melts, about 15 minutes

veggie pot pie (serves 6)
    1 can condensed cream of potato soup
    1 can mixed vegetables
    1/2 cup choice of milk
    1/2 tsp thyme
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 ready made pie crust
    cook vegetables, mix with cream of potato soup. cover in casserole dish with pie crust and bake

taco salad (serves 2-3)
    1 cup meatless grounds
    4 tbsp taco seasoning or make your own with spices
    4 tbsp salsa
    12 romaine heart leaves, shredded
    2 oz sour cream or greek yogurt
    1 peppers and onions, diced
    2 oz shredded cheddar cheese
    avocado, sliced
    jalepeno slices
    any other taco toppings
    cook meatless grounds, add in taco seasoning, peppers and onions. serve over lettuce, add salsa, sour cream/greek yogurt, avocado, jalepeno slices, cheese, etc

pizzadilla (serves 1)
    1 tortilla
    1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
    1/4 cup spaghetti sauce
    pizza toppings such as peppers, onion, mushrooms, banana peppers, etc
    spray skillet, put tortilla open and spread sauce and cheese and place toppings, once cheese is melting, flip as a quesadilla and cook until both sides are crunchy

spinach baked ziti (serves 8)
    1 1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    1 container ziti, cooked and drained
    1 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
    1 container spaghetti sauce
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    parmesan cheese
    spices such as garlic, oregano, basil, pepper etc
    after cooking and draining ziti, mix in a large bowl or deep baking dish with sauce, ricotta, spinach, spices and parmesan. top with mozzarella and bake in oven at 450 until cheese melts, about 20 minutes

tortellini salad (serves 2)
    2 mushrooms, diced
    1 large slice red onion, diced
    1 cup cheese torteillini, cooked drained and cooled
    1 oz banana pepper rings
    pitted kalamata olives
    9-12 romaine lettuce leaves
    1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
    tbsp mixture of olive oil and red wine vinegar. add a little lemon juice and oregano
    in a large bowl, toss tortellini with dressing mixture and let marinate a few hours. this is not essential, so if you want you can just toss everything together!

sweet potato burritos (serves 4) - these burritos freeze really well and then you can microwave them real quick
    8 pieces sweet potatos from a can or fresh sweet potatos, cooked
    1 container kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    red onion, diced (up to a cup at most)
    1 tbsp chili powder
    3/4 tsp cumin
    1 1/4 tsp mustard
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    1 oz colby jack cheese shredded
    4 low carb or regular tortillas
    in a large skillet, spray and heat up kidney beans, mash, add a little water if needed. mix in chili powder, cumin, mustard, soy sauce. seperattely mash sweet pototos, and divide the mixings on the tortillas. add cheese, roll up and bake in the oven at 350 until crispy

chickpea soup (serves 4)
    1 red onion
    3 tsp minced garlic
    1/2 tsp dried sage
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    2 cups vegetable broth/stock
    1/2 of a 10 oz container frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 3/4 container chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    in a pan, bring broth to a boil with spinach, onion, garlic, sage, pepper, chickpeas. once boiling, bring to a blender and puree, bring back to the pan to a boil, add lemon juice at the end. you can also leave as is and have it as a chunky soup instead of a creamy style soup

eggplant parm (serves 6) - from skinnytaste.com
    1 eggplant, sliced into thin long slices and patted dry
    1 egg
    1 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
    6 tbsp parmesan romano blend
    4 tsp dried parsley
    2 cup spaghetti sauce
    1 cup shredded mozzarella
    spray a baking pan or layer bottom with sauce. in a bowl, mix together ricotta cheese with egg, parmesan blend, and parsley, and a little sauce if you like. layer eggplant, top with mixture, sauce and cheese. repeat until all used up. bake at 350 about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted

chickpea curry (serves 4)
    4 tbsp tomato paste
    1/2 cup red onion diced
    1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp cayenne
    lemon juice from 1 lemon
    1/2 can diced tomatos
    in a large pan, cook onions, add chickpeas. add tomato pasta, spices and diced tomatos until cooked all the way through. can eat as is, or serve over rice, couscous, quinoa, etc.

quinoa risotto (serves 4)
    1 cup dry quinoa, cooked as directed
    1/4 cup vegetable stock
    1 cup spaghetti sauce
    4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
    cook quinoa in water or broth. mix in spaghetti sauce and grated parm. serve as main dish or as a side, you can also mix in a buttload of veggies such as broccoli, spinach, peppers, mushroom, zucchini, onion

penne with pesto, broccoli and "chicken"
    pesto sauce, either homemade, or prepared (if i am lazy, i but the knorr packets and make it that way)
    2 oz penne
    1/2 cup quorn or other brand chickn tenders
    1/2 cup frozen broccilo, thawed and drained
    (this would also be good with seitan in place of the fake chicken)
    cook penne and drain. top with pesto sauce, broccoli, chicken or seitan. sprinkle cheese if desired

chickpea salad
    1/2 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1/2 an avocado
    1 to 2 tbsp mayo or greek yogurt
    spices such as thyme, sage, dillweed, garlic, onion etc
    mash chickpeas and avocado together, mix with a little plain greek yogurt or mayo and add desired spices. good on a sandwich with lettuce tomato and onion slices

that's all i can think of right now.
    i also got recipe books from the local library and scanned/took pics of the recipes.
  • Swats915
    Swats915 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • memmers
    memmers Posts: 112
    Options
    @keem88
    thanks so much! a lot of those sound great, especially those stuffed mushrooms!! Can't wait to try!
  • keem88
    Options
    no problemo.
    i am cooking chicken for my dude tonight (yuck) lol. i chop it up and put it in a container then he can add it to whatever.
    if i think of any other recipes, i am sure there are more, i will message you.
    but generally, i just thought of foods i liked and subbed non meat items for them. get creative! the first time i made the sweet potato burritos i was skep bc it sounded weird, but they're delish!
    best of luck to you :]
  • bhdon
    bhdon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl also has a lot of quick, low calorie receipes that are (or can be made) accidentally vegetarian. Since vegan burgers are lower calorie, they get used in place of beef a lot.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the recipes.
  • ppdes
    ppdes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Bump!

What @peleroja said...
  • PaintedAlice
    PaintedAlice Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump

... me three!
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump.

And I LOVE Hungry Girl's "Yum Yum Brownies" but most of her recipes are just too complicated and not worth all the hassle. I'll gladly eat something that's easier nd healthier even if it means a few extra calories. Plus, some of the ingredients she calls for are just not lying around my kitchen. I used to have 3 of her cookbooks and I gave them away. Ah well.
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    I would def try making regular stuff you like with TVP. I can't stand most meat substitutions, but TVP is awesome and the perfect texture and has no flavor of it's own, so it is great for sloppy joes and chili or tacos.

I could eat this all day. I serve it with spaghetti squash instead of pasta to keep cals/carbs down, since it already has beans galore.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maindishentreerecipes/r/EasyChili.htm
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian but I've posted a few vegetarian curry recipes in my blog if you care to look through them

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto
  • keem88
    Options
    I would def try making regular stuff you like with TVP. I can't stand most meat substitutions, but TVP is awesome and the perfect texture and has no flavor of it's own, so it is great for sloppy joes and chili or tacos.

I could eat this all day. I serve it with spaghetti squash instead of pasta to keep cals/carbs down, since it already has beans galore.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maindishentreerecipes/r/EasyChili.htm

agreed. the most i get are the little chikn thingys just to throw in a stir fry or salad for extra protein. i cannot stand fake sausages, ribs, chicken patties, whatever else they make. thats like i like to make seitan again bc it's a generic slab of protein you can eat with whatever lol
    sounds like an awesome recipe, stealing this! i love spaghetti squash, my grocerys been out the last 2 times i went, what's that about lol