Losing weight without excercise?

Options
Hi Everyone,

Just curious to know if anyone of you lost weight without excercising?? I am asking because on most days i cant make time for working out as i m juggling between work home n my year old baby. Also wanted to know if anyone benefitted from 10-15 mins of HIIT as that is something i am trying to accomodate at work!

Thanks!

Replies

• alehundrah
    alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested in finding out if people are losing weight without exercising.
  • samanthawardle31
    samanthawardle31 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hello, I think you can, but speaking from experience, I have only managed a decent weight loss and a better shape with exercise. Exercise is making more of a difference to my life than dieting and that is coming from a couch potato.
  • samanthawardle31
    samanthawardle31 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Jillian Micheals 20 minute workouts are good if youre short of time! And brisk walking with the pram.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    You can, of course. But working out makes it easier. It also makes you healthier. It really is something you should just make time for. Have time to watch TV in the evening? You have time for 30 minutes of cardio and/or moving heavy things.

When it gets right down to it, we make time for what's important to us.
  • loveyourself11
    loveyourself11 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I skip the rope for 15 mins on most days...Its mostly moderate speed. The calorie burn is between 170-185 but i am not sure if its enough in terms of excercise :((
  • misssmarita
    misssmarita Posts: 130
    Options
    It is possible, but you'd have to go extremely low calories if you didn't exercise whatsoever. And that might backfire on you by shutting down your metabolism. Exercise is the way to go. Is there absolutely no way you could fit exercise into your life?

- Going for a walk/jog with your baby in the stroller
    - Exercise DVDs: can be ordered online and done at home. Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred is supposed to be awesome if you're pressed for time
    - Walking either the entire way or part of the way to work

The best gift you can give your child is a healthy mommy =)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Many people lose weight without exercise, including in hospital beds. By the sound of it you're active anyway, so do a bit of HIIT and don't worry about it.

The amount of exercise most people do is equivalent to a fairly modest amount of food.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    It is possible, but you'd have to go extremely low calories if you didn't exercise whatsoever. And that might backfire on you by shutting down your metabolism. Exercise is the way to go. Is there absolutely no way you could fit exercise into your life?

-

9uACPL8.gif

This is so wrong i will not even address it.
    Bottom line is this. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, exercise is for fitness. You do not need to exercise but i would bet once you start losing weight you will want to.

Eat what MFP tells you and you will lose weight even if all you do is take care of your house and kids.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

-

9uACPL8.gif

This is so wrong i will not even address it.
    Bottom line is this. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, exercise is for fitness. You do not need to exercise but i would bet once you start losing weight you will want to.

Eat what MFP tells you and you will lose weight even if all you do is take care of your house and kids.

Ta-da! I always tell people to get control of their fork before they even THINK about adding exercise. Even if it's just for 3 weeks.... Change one thing at a time! It's WAY too easy to blow right through your exercise calories with that "extra" chocolate-chip cookie or whatever. You need to be in control of one "new thing" before you try to manage two "new things"

ETA: When I lost my first 40 pounds, I did it without exercise. I was having some discomfort during exercise and I decided that since my change in diet was producing results, I would stick with it. Once I got down to a more reasonable weight, I started to exercise, and this time without the discomfort. Once I started exercising, I was losing weight more slowly because I was concentrating on exercise and stopped focusing as much on food.

CONTROL YOUR FORK FIRST!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Why would you not want to exercise!?!?!?!?!?!??!
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options
    Short answer? Yes.

Longer answer:

I normally greatly enjoy exercising, but I effed up my foot and haven't been able to do much of anything, and I'm still losing. It's basic math, honestly: Calories in vs. calories out, regardless of what other kinds of crazy things people throw at you. I keep my calories around my TDEE (calculated by using my BF% to find my BMR) -20%, and as long as I'm behaving myself calorie-wise, I'm fine.
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options

Um, no. This is pretty much super wrong. I'm not eating "extremely low calories" - I eat between 1600 and 1700, could eat up to 1850 and still lose easily, without exercise.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can lose weight without exercising as long as you eat less than you expend.

I started my journey to weight loss barely able to walk from my bedroom to the lounge with a walking frame because of an infection I had at the time. I lost weight, heaps of it, through eating less.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes. Weight loss is about cutting calories to less than your body uses. Exercise is for physical fitness.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    of course you CAN. losing weight is (for most of us) a numbers game: you need to take in less calories than you expend. so if you exercise AND watch what you eat, you will lose weight. if you just diet without exercise, you will lose weight. If you just exercise - you probably won't lose that much (I'm saying this from experience, of course each person is different).

Having said that - exercise is a good thing. it helps with weight loss, it helps make your heart healthier, makes you feel good and so on. find something that works for you - be it a gym, or dance class, or at home with videos, or power wlaking around the block... heck my sister lost weight by dieting and power walking around her HOUSE when she couldn't get to a gym / treadmill broke.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    From personal experience exercise will NOT loose weight for you,it will tone you improve your cardio vascular fitness majke you feel good but it will not make you loose weight,your weight depends on your calorie intake you eat too much you gain weight! It has to be a balancing act and you dont have to spend hours in the gym,a half hour good walk every day is fine,put your baby in the buggy and stride out with him/her it will do both of you good!!!
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I went from 12.9 to 10 stone without exercising (granted my methods were not exceptionally healthy - a lot of low calorie junk food) but I will tell you that at 10 stone I was flabbier and wobblier than I am now at 12.7 (put all the weight back on at uni - typical!) with 3x per week exercise.

I think that 10 mins HIIT per day is a great start as I do crossfit and a lot of the WODs are 8-12 minutes surrounded by another 40 mins of technique/warm up etc and I think if I was only doing the WOD it would still be beneficial.

Just make sure you warm up and stretch it out after!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    My wife is too ill and disabled to exercise. She is losing weight by diet alone. Her calories do not have to be stupidly low. It takes a lot longer though. She though would kill to be well enough to exercise if you have the choice diet in conjunction with exercise is the way to go. Everyone can make time for exercise. Just get up 30 minutes earlier. Don't expect time to appear from nowhere you have to make it.
  • Lumen1505
    Lumen1505 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I lost around 60lbs a few years ago without exercise and was 'skinny fat' meaning I had rubbish muscle tone & wobbly bits ago go! I also didn't keep the weight off as it was mostly a starvation diet (1200 cals).

this time around I am exercising and have noticed a massive difference in that I can eat a decent amount and still loose weight. I also have kids (3 under 6) so I understand it is tough fitting everything in but this time around I have wedged some time in for myself to get healthy & set a good example.

I'm also going back to work soon after a years maternity leave so plan to do some some HIIT stuff in the evenings if it comes to it.

feel free to add me if you would like some additional support :-) x
  • Dragonflag07
    Dragonflag07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sure you can. It's 80% food choices and 20% exercise in my opinion. Far better to exercise if you can for the health and feel good benefits. In the past, when I was carrying an injury, I have really dialled in on my diet and lost weight at the same rate.