Low Carb Diet

Options
Hi everyone,

I am going on holiday in about 3 weeks and was hoping to do a low carb diet until then. Will this help me to lose weight and what sort of thing can I actually eat?

Any help appreciated :smile:

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It will help you lose water weight.

Most people that eat low carb go for things that are higher in protein and fats, and lower in carbs, especially starchy ones. So, limiting bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc.

I've never been a low-carber, but I think most people that have success limiting carbs would agree that there is little point in doing it for 3 weeks. It's not a quick fix, it's a lifestyle choice for people that have medical issues with carbs (eg. people who are insulin resistant) or for people that find that carbs make them binge, or make them feel hungrier than protein and fats.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Most people that eat low carb go for things that are higher in protein and fats, and lower in carbs, especially starchy ones. So, limiting bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc.

I've never been a low-carber, but I think most people that have success limiting carbs would agree that there is little point in doing it for 3 weeks. It's not a quick fix, it's a lifestyle choice for people that have medical issues with carbs (eg. people who are insulin resistant) or for people that find that carbs make them binge, or make them feel hungrier than protein and fats.
    wat?
    what does starchy carbs have to do with losing weight?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

wat?
    what does starchy carbs have to do with losing weight?
    I don't understand your question in relation to what I wrote.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am going on holiday in about 3 weeks and was hoping to do a low carb diet until then. Will this help me to lose weight and what sort of thing can I actually eat?

http://uk.atkins.com/program/phase-1/

You can eat meat, fish and green veg, egg, cream and cheese. Low carb is more about what you can't eat - bread, cake, chocolate, cookies, pasta, pizza, pastry, rice etc.
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist told me to eat chicken, fish and vegetables, and to stay away from sugars like carbs and fruit. He said my weight will fall off.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I've been doing Atkins for about 15 days and lost 5 pounds. I have a real problem losing weight on a low calorie diet that consists of carbs. I have been doing low calorie for months with very little results. Atkins is the best diet I have tried and it really does work. But you have to stay strict with it. Good luck!
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The true Atkins diet is very dangerous, you can cut down your carbs but you'd be silly to follow Atkins.

Just eat extremely clean with high protien and limited carbs (and when you do eat carbs keep them good - sweet potato, quinoa, brown rice etc)
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    if you are trying to drop weight quickly without killing yourself just do a protein diet...i do it 2wks before i go away all the time....

for lifelong sustainable living limit carbs and have high fat, high protein and maybe 2days a week with higher carbs which will cut cravings
  • yarwell
    Options
    The true Atkins diet is very dangerous

Nonsense.
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The true Atkins diet is very dangerous

Nonsense.

Well I would present you with a comprehensive account of the issues with the Atkins diet that come from 4 years of Bio-medical Study and personal research but as you decided to reply with one word I will leave you to do your own research, or don't bother, makes no odds to me.
  • maddieftaylor
    maddieftaylor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    if you are trying to drop weight quickly without killing yourself just do a protein diet...i do it 2wks before i go away all the time....

for lifelong sustainable living limit carbs and have high fat, high protein and maybe 2days a week with higher carbs which will cut cravings

Hi, thank you for replying (thank you all for replying actually). I know this sounds like an obvious question but can I ask what a protein diet is? I mean do you only eat meat/eggs and the like - nothing else?
  • maddieftaylor
    Options
    My cardiologist told me to eat chicken, fish and vegetables, and to stay away from sugars like carbs and fruit. He said my weight will fall off.

Hi, thank you for replying! So is it a bad move to have fruit? Or is say one piece a day okay? Have you seen any evidence of your weight falling off?
  • maddieftaylor
    Options

http://uk.atkins.com/program/phase-1/

You can eat meat, fish and green veg, egg, cream and cheese. Low carb is more about what you can't eat - bread, cake, chocolate, cookies, pasta, pizza, pastry, rice etc.

Thank you! Your reply and that website is very helpful.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Don't over complicate this. If you want to eat less carbs then go ahead. You don't have to, unless you have a professionally diagnosed medical condition, but if that is what you would like to try then don't make a bigger deal about then you have to. Just eat less carbs and more of everything else. That's it.

But like i said, you don't have to eat less carbs to lose weight, just less calories.
  • maddieftaylor
    Options
    Don't over complicate this. If you want to eat less carbs then go ahead. You don't have to, unless you have a professionally diagnosed medical condition, but if that is what you would like to try then don't make a bigger deal about then you have to. Just eat less carbs and more of everything else. That's it.

But like i said, you don't have to eat less carbs to lose weight, just less calories.

Less calories doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere though!
  • jdad1
    Options

Hi, thank you for replying! So is it a bad move to have fruit? Or is say one piece a day okay? Have you seen any evidence of your weight falling off?

This individual’s advice is coming from a medical professional due to a medical need for them..........Not you. It is not a good idea to follow medical advice that is not meant for you as only those directly involved have all the facts.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I low carbed for a while, 9 months or so, it helped sort my cravings and rampant hunger out. I took it ketogenic levels which is very low carbing. An interesting experiment but I don't think it had any magical metabolic effects.

For 3 weeks? Not worth it, as others have said you will lose water weight and have little other metabolic effect unless it helps you to reduce intake anyway by reducing hunger.

Just stick with a balanced plan (get your protein first, essential fats then carbs according to energy needs would be my focus) with a moderate deficit and you'll be where you'll be in 3 weeks, whereever that is enjoy it, you look young and hardly in need of losing masses of fat so don't stress it :)
  • jdad1
    Options

Less calories doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere though!

Like i said...........Go ahead and give lower Carbs a try if that is what you want to do but it is not likely necessary. Have you gotten any medical advice? Diabetes or PCOS could affect weight loss along with others of course.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Well I would present you with a comprehensive account of the issues with the Atkins diet that come from 4 years of Bio-medical Study and personal research but as you decided to reply with one word I will leave you to do your own research, or don't bother, makes no odds to me.

You should substantiate your wild allegation that the Atkins diet is "very dangerous", for sure. That's something I haven't seen - in fact earlier this week I read how three different macro ratios including very low carb had no long term impact on kidney health.

You will of course need to indicate if your Vegan views are an influence on your analysis, or your personal experiences / weight etc.

Oh, and before you make a basic error Dr Atkins died a week after falling on ice, aged 73. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4327741/ns/dateline_nbc/t/defending-dr-atkins/ "It shows he was a technically overweight but not obese 195 pounds. That was also born out by Dateline’s visit with Dr. Atkins six weeks before the fall that killed him. He was an active 72-year-old, big, but not bloated and hardly obese."
  • jdad1
    Options
    You said that eating less calories was not working for you. However you almost never log your food and on the days that you do you are starving yourself. I mean that. Not just eating to little but crazy to little. There were days theat you were at 450 and almost always under 1000. You have to eat more then this if you want to lose weight without really hurting yourself.

You can lose weight eating much more then you are. I hope you are just not logging correctly because if you are really eating this little then you are doing more harm then good.

Please watch this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Qp7sJJ7AE&list=UU0ASolYU_Yh3yShLFQC0stg&index=109