emotional dip after eating rubbish

Options
anyone else experiance this??

spent the weekend with family and friends. had a really great time at a festival. made some really bad choices re food and now feel like crap. i know us blokes should just 'get over it' but emotionally i'm low and phycially feel lousy!

I've been losing 2lbs plus per week consistantly for the past year and the weight gain (3lbs) isn't the issue, it's just a blip on the radar. Hell i've lost over 3stone so far!

so why do i feel so crap? mood swing or food induced?

Replies

• godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    probably a little bit of both. I would just work out extra hard the next day, and make sure you drink your water, fruits and veggies will give you extra fiber to get you (ahem!) moving again, and not feel so bloated. An "off" day once in a while doesn't have to be a bad thing; it may help you get even more focused in the end.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Food affects one's mood enormously! Have a few days where you get loads of vegetables, plenty of water, some lean protein, and watch your sugar. It'll pass.
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    I can honestly say that I have the very same feelings after I have a day of 'overindulging'. i think it takes a very strong individual to just accept this mistake without loads of regret, and often sperates the people who are successful at making this a lifestyle, opposed to those who just get into a diet/binge cycle. i have learnt slowly to just accept and move on.. because lets face it, if this is something you want for the long term, which im guessing it is, there is always going to be days we splurge a little too much. like godsgirl said, drink plenty of water and eat fairly well the next few days to help your mind accept that it is back on the healthy train.
    i have also heard a day off every now and again is good for the metabolism.
    best wishes.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I feel the same way after eating crappy, it'll pass like the other posters said. Another thing....."us blokes should just get over it"? Why should you feel any differently than anyone else? You feel like crap, eat well the next few days and get some exercise and rest. You'll feel much better :flowerforyou:
  • jessicadawn1978
    jessicadawn1978 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I saw your thread and had to reply because I'm feeling exactly the same this week. We had a bank holiday in the UK this weekend, and my mum and her husband came to visit, I kept up the exercise however the calorie intake went right out the window. I did make mostly good food choices, and kept an eye on quantity, but I also allowed myself a few glasses of wine as well, which skyrocketed the calorie intake.

arrgghh!

Personally I'm trying not to fixate and have got straight back into the exercise sessions with slightly increased intensity and I;ve reducing my calorie intake over the last few days. I'm hoping doing something positive and working extra hard will mean I get over it by the end of the week. And I don't think it'll derail my weight loss, it might just delay it slightly this week.

So I can't offer much advice for you as I'm feeling the same and just to say that you're not alone, and I guess its a natural feeling to have. But don't let it get you down, get back into the routine of exercise and diet and you'll have forgotten the 'blip' next week I'm sure.

Good luck!
  • falloutspud
    falloutspud Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    cheers for the feedback folks.

back on the wagon it is. just wish i didn't have the emotional slump to deal with. so far on my 'journey' (i hate calling it a diet!) i've not had an emotional attachment to food or my success rate. guess i hit the rocks hard so to speak!
  • Christinesyear
    Christinesyear Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It is entirely amazing how I come to the forums to post a topic, and someone has already posted (almost word for word) what I was going to post! I'm not sure if the "in the same boat" mindset works for anyone else, but it helps me to know what I'm going through is just normal. I felt the same way this wekeend as well. I ate really well last week, we went out for dinner and gelato on Saturday night, which was within my daily allotment, and then the barbeque hit on Sunday. ALL KINDS of stuff I just couldn't resist. So, I didn't. But not only did I not resist them, I went totally overboard. Not one delicious-looking and tasting red velvet, cream-cheese frosted cupcake. Nope. I had three, plus cookies, plus plus plus.

I am trying hard not to get into a cycle of eating garbage all the time, but it is so much EASIER, isn't it? And that's the kicker. IF it were easy, none of us would be where we are. This is work. For whatever reasons, we weren't taught how to eat properly, or exercise properly, or maybe there are just too many choices. The bic picture is too much. Focus on the small one. We had a bad day or two or three, but we didn't ruin everything we have worked so hard for. We've got to get on with it! I don't know about you, but I am in much better shape than I was a year ago! All the best to you!
  • lambchoplewis
    lambchoplewis Posts: 797
    Options
    I did great over the Memorial Day weekend but... the last two days I drank some wine and binged!! I had given up drinking for a long time as I always binge after drinking and get hot flashes (I am 53yrs old and in menopause). I feel like crap and wonder why I do this. I am back on track and will NOT gain the weight back. I have been maintaining for over a year and don't want to give in to this habit - yes, it is a habit. I like to sit outside in summer, have a glass or two of wine (turns into a bottle) then I binge. So, the habit has to be broken. I need to enjoy sitting outside w/out wine - which leads to eating and hot flashes, crappy sleep and feeling terrible in morning. Wish me luck
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Remember this feeling. Remember how awful you feel right now.

Next time you are faced with a plate of red velvet cupcakes, or cookies etc, remember what they will do to you, emotionally.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    anyone else experiance this??

spent the weekend with family and friends. had a really great time at a festival. made some really bad choices re food and now feel like crap. i know us blokes should just 'get over it' but emotionally i'm low and phycially feel lousy!

I've been losing 2lbs plus per week consistantly for the past year and the weight gain (3lbs) isn't the issue, it's just a blip on the radar. Hell i've lost over 3stone so far!

so why do i feel so crap? mood swing or food induced?

Oh yea- what I eat definitely affects my mood. When I eat like crap I feel like crap. When I eat great I feel great. I avoid the foods that make me feel like crap-simple as that.
  • lambchoplewis
    lambchoplewis Posts: 797
    Options
    Remember this feeling. Remember how awful you feel right now.

Thx - I have to remember how I feel right now and how bad I will feel exercising!!!!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    It's food and fun induced, and it's biochemical.

Some things (sugar, fats, laughing, exercise, fighting, alcohol, pain, sex -- it is a long list) induce your body to emit beta endorphin. The rush of beta endorphin is a pain killer and makes you feel good -- connected and a part of society, euphoric, happy, content. But after the rush wears off, you can feel lower than normal. And the symptoms are feeling 'less than', apart from, restless, irritable, hungrier for sweets and fats than normal. It can take up to four days for the low to come on after a high.

It passes on its own in 24-48 hours. Things that can help while you are feeling low are some exercise (not intense, just go for a 20 minute wallk), meditating, laughing, playing with the kids or the pets -- the things that normally make you feel good.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Just think of it as part of the learning curve. Sometimes we think we can still go off track without any consequences (thus all of us who lose/gain many times). It is actually positive that you can now see that you can get back to eating better after overindulging and it's not the end of all the positives. And you can actually see and feel how eating "crap" truly does affect you. So it's a good lesson to remember when you need it!
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    I did great over the Memorial Day weekend but... the last two days I drank some wine and binged!! I had given up drinking for a long time as I always binge after drinking and get hot flashes (I am 53yrs old and in menopause). I feel like crap and wonder why I do this. I am back on track and will NOT gain the weight back. I have been maintaining for over a year and don't want to give in to this habit - yes, it is a habit. I like to sit outside in summer, have a glass or two of wine (turns into a bottle) then I binge. So, the habit has to be broken. I need to enjoy sitting outside w/out wine - which leads to eating and hot flashes, crappy sleep and feeling terrible in morning. Wish me luck

I've started keeping slightly sparkling flavoured water in my fridge and will use a wine glass to drink it. I enjoy it as much as a glass of wine these days. It's much more refreshing in the summer too. Other things that work well this way are orange juice and lemonade or (my favourite) lime and soda.
  • dannyXoxo
    dannyXoxo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is look at my net cals for the week. So if I have a day or two (like yesterday) where I went over by almost a 1000 cals, I cut back the next couple of days so that it evens out. Plus I'm usually feeling bloated the next day and not even in an eatting mode at all which helps in a way. As for the feeling you get, it happens to most people. I know from my personal experience I used to get really down and it would lead to binges that'd last a week. Now I don't care and honestly it's worked wonders :p if I binge one day, the next morning is a new start. Your only human so it'll happen again, just look at the positives.... You enjoyed the time spent with fam and you got to treat yourself, now it's over so act like it didn't even happen. Works for me at least.
  • josephinebarren
    Options
    I think everybody feels like that sometimes:ohwell: