Scale can't read awesome

Options
I've started incorporating more strength training into my regimen, mostly because my body was getting skinnier... but also jigglier. So for fear of looking like a bag of skin, I bumped up the ST from 1x a week to 3. Now here is what I don't like, and need reassurance because I am an insecure avid over-thinker, when does my scale start showing progress? Am I delusional to think that the 3 pounds up this week are "water retention muscle building blardey blar" ? Or do my poor, poor biceps and glutes "release" the "water" and the scale will magically drop 3-4 pounds in a week? Help?

Replies

• sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    hmmm... maybe this made no sense? If you start strength training more.. does the scale go up before it goes down? and if so, for how long?
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Well strength training more will build more muscle... which weighs more. So I'm not sure the scale will go back down again?
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You tend to retain water while you recover so you are likely to see the scale go up or stay the same before a big drop later
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Weigh after a rest day, you'll get more accurate results.
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Also remember, the weight scale does not equal fat loss when you weight train. Get measured too. Have a qualified PT (personal trainer) to use calipers on you to measure body fat and take pictures to see your progress. The weight scale tells you how much you weigh as a whole. That could be water weight, lean mass, fat, bone mass, etc. Don't get to caught up on the number on the scale.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Throw out your scale. Best advice I ever got.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You tend to retain water while you recover so you are likely to see the scale go up or stay the same before a big drop later

This is what always happens to me. It usually take a couple of weeks (for me) to start seeing a big loss again.