Body Media vs. Fit Bit

Options
Has anyone had experience with either or both of these devices? How did you feel about their accuracy and ease of use?

Aaron

Replies

• srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I researched both when I got my Fitbit. For me it was about having that strap on my arm constantly (I can't even stand running with an armband for my phone) and the fee to use it. I love my Fitbit. I've had it 4 months now and wouldn't change my decision at all. I think they both are good at what they do from what I've seen.
  • lklapperich
    Options
    Hi Aaron, I saw your topic and thought I'd respond! I had a Fit Bit previously and just purchased a Fit Bit Flex. I was torn as well but decided the Fit Bit was a better option for me. There were a few factors that kept me with Fit Bit, the most important being that the flex just blends into my ensemble at work. Especially during summer I'm sure I would be explaining the Body Media constantly. If you do decide on a Body Media you also might want to wait until the new smaller designer version comes out. That way you can either buy the new smaller version with changeable face plates or buy the old version at a discount.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I researched both when I got my Fitbit. For me it was about having that strap on my arm constantly (I can't even stand running with an armband for my phone) and the fee to use it.

This. I just got my Fitbit yesterday, but before I bought it, I looked at all the various tracking devices (Fitbit One, Flex, Bodymedia, Jawbone, etc). The deciding factor for me was how small and discreet the Fitbit was. I've worn a pedometer before and everyone notices it and asks about it, and it gets annoying to explain. I didn't want to wear something super obvious like the Bodymedia that would potentially draw attention. I opted out of the bracelet design ones because I'm currently working in a biohazard lab and we're not allowed to wear jewellery, bracelets, watches etc out of hygiene concerns. So for me, the Fitbit One was the best option. Love it already though!
  • aaronagostini
    aaronagostini Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Is the FitBit "just" about walking and running? I think that might be the sticking point for me on that. Bodymedia just seems like it does more. FitBit looks like an awesome pedometer, and if all it did was get me moving more every single day, that's a real positive. Bodymedia providing a real sense of what you're expending everyday sounds useful as well, but people do seem pretty annoyed with how it feels and appears when they're wearing it.

So many hi-tech options! :D
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I used to own a Body media, which I recently sold and bought a FitBit One.

With my Bodymedia - I wore it all the time everyday, with my FitBit I wear it all the time, but ALSO wear a HRM when doing "formal" exercise (i.e. going for a run, or doing a DVD, or taking a class) as it does not register those calories properly.

For me, the fitbit is awesome. My main issue with the bodymedia is EVERYONE CAN SEE IT ALL THE TIME. Whereas my fitbit is clipped onto my bra each morning, tracking away, where no one can see it.

Also, fitbit has no monthly payments, whereas the BodyMedia requires an active subscription to use it.

For me - the fitbit is the way forward, but you WILL need to invest in a HRM too
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have a BMF; I usually wear it on my arm. I don't mind questions about it; in fact, I think it can be a learning experience. A couple of times, after I've told someone what it is, I get the response "But you're thin! You don't need to watch what you eat!" My answer to that is "I do if I want to stay this way." For some, it's kind of a light bulb moment--you know, thin people don't get to pig out all the time and stay skinny. They still have to be conscious of what's going in their mouths.

If I don't want it to show, I put it on my calf or on my side in my bra. It still works.

A friend of mine has a Fit Bit, and her only complaint is the altimeter that's used to calculate stairs climbed--it says she climbs stairs every time she goes on the highway bridge on her way to work.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Is the FitBit "just" about walking and running? I think that might be the sticking point for me on that. Bodymedia just seems like it does more. FitBit looks like an awesome pedometer, and if all it did was get me moving more every single day, that's a real positive. Bodymedia providing a real sense of what you're expending everyday sounds useful as well, but people do seem pretty annoyed with how it feels and appears when they're wearing it.

So many hi-tech options! :D

The fitbit is more than a pedometer, it calculates calories burned and the One captures elevation changes. But you are correct that it is best at measuring walking and running activities. I let my fitbit calculate calories burned on those but when I Spin or swim (Flex you can swim with) I record those activities in MFP with the specific time period and Fitbit will replace the calorie burn with the MFP numbers. I love having my fitbit on my trail runs because it captures steps, distance, and "stairs" climbed and calculates my calorie burn with all that combined!

Good luck with your decision!
  • laurahowland1
    Options
    I don't mind at all people seeing my body media armband, and i think the technology is wonderful. So much info in such a small device. However i worn the armband for years and I'm just tired of having it on my arm, is there nothing else in comparison to this device. I would love to wear something on my wrist, I wonder if some day they will come out with a device that is inserted under the skin.
  • Mistapholeezkat
    Mistapholeezkat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both have a body media. We love it. I feel it is more accurate then the fitbit. Either way I encourage people to try one or the other so they can actual see what they are burning off. In my mind I always burned off more that I actually did. They are helpful either way.