anyone losing height as they lose weight?

Options
I checked my weight today on one of those machines in boots the chemist and my height is reported as 5 7.7. This is down from 5 10.4 on the 20th of April. My height has been steadily decreasing at each weigh in. Is this normal?

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Though I can see a slight loss, a nearly three inch loss does not sound possible. . . . I could be wrong though.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    What? Three inches. I highly doubt that is accurate!

I never lost any height in losing 60 pounds.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's a bit extreme. I'd call your doctor about it. 3 inches is a lot of height to lose so fast. It could mean other things are going on.

Or perhaps the chemist's gadget isn't calibrated correctly? Do you have a measuring tape at home you can use? Mark your height on the wall and check?
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Well, due to spinal decompression and your discs dehydrating though out the day you end up being a bit shorter in the evening and taller in the morning (because your spine hydrates at night.) but this should only account for ¾ of an inch or so.
  • aalanclose
    aalanclose Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I can't say i've noticed myself getting any shorter but since the reading in April i've had the following readings.

5 10
    5 9.2
    5 8.9
    5 8.4
    5 7.7
  • aalanclose
    Options
    Or perhaps the chemist's gadget isn't calibrated correctly? Do you have a measuring tape at home you can use? Mark your height on the wall and check?

I think i might get one tomorrow and check
  • OneLostSock
    Options
    Wow - def sounds like you need to check it out.

One strange 'side affect' of dieting is i've noticed my shoe size is smaller. It's fantastic i now fit kids shoes - they are so much cheaper! Lol!
  • aalanclose
    Options
    Wow - def sounds like you need to check it out.

One strange 'side affect' of dieting is i've noticed my shoe size is smaller. It's fantastic i now fit kids shoes - they are so much cheaper! Lol!

Definitely disconcerting. I think i'll use the old fashioned method and mark my height on the wall and check it for a few weeks before i go to the docs.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I can't say i've noticed myself getting any shorter but since the reading in April i've had the following readings.

5 10
    5 9.2
    5 8.9
    5 8.4
    5 7.7

Did you ever see "The Incredible Shrinking Man"? Better get rid of your cat...
  • OneLostSock
    Options

Did you ever see "The Incredible Shrinking Man"? Better get rid of your cat...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    My height shrunk too. I am only 21 and lost 2 inches, or a little more. Went from 4'11" to 4'9", last time I measured in at "4'8.5"

I don't have that much weight to lose, so I am blaming my height loss on an antiaging experiment I was working on for a few months combined with catching very sick. Apparently, I am healthy.

I know that if you were REALLY overweight, it is possible, as the fat from the bottom of your feet supposedly disappears, also maybe fat on top of your head.

Anywho, I'm glad to hear there is another person who lost height! Feel free to add me as a friend =)
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school, I had a teacher who lost a lot of weight, over 100+ pounds, and he also lost height. His response was that he lost all the fat off of his feet from the walking he was doing. I've never heard that from anyone else until now, so I guess it is anatomically possible. Hmmmm...maybe I'm not actually 5' 6" at all! Maybe I'm a true petite waiting to get out of this big woman's body...lol
  • rah9012
    rah9012 Posts: 2
    Options
    BEFORE I STARTED LOOSING WEIGHT, I ALWAYS MEASURED AT 5'6" AND NOW THAT I'VE LOST 12 POUNDS SO FAR, I'M MEASURING AT 5'5 1/2" EVERY TIME. I IMAGINE I WON'T LOSE MUCH MORE HEIGHT THAN THAT AFTER I REACH MY GOAL WEIGHT, BUT FROM WHAT I'VE READ FROM MULTIPLE SOURCES ON THE INTERNET THAT IT'S POSSIBLE TO LOSE UP TO ABOUT AN INCH WITH MAJOR WEIGHT LOSS.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    u had SOME FAT FEET DUDE!!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The machine in Boots measured me 3.5 inches shorter than I actually am. It also measured me 22 pounds heavier!! I wouldn't be worried about it, just use a more accurate machine! :laugh: