Protein Powders- help!

Options
I never meet my protein intake through food alone so I was hoping to get a protein shake that would help supplement my workout, promote recovery, and isn't filled with crap but proteins my body can use! Does anybody have suggestions?

Replies

• sarahaldinger
    sarahaldinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Since I follow a vegan diet, I've found that the Plant Fusion protein powders are great.
    I just bought the vanilla bean flavor and love it!
    21 g Protein
    120 Calories
    4 carbs
    Plant based protein and nutrients

Relatively cheap on Amazon for a 2lb bucket
  • MK608
    MK608 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use Perfect Fit Protein, it's organic and tastes delicious. It also cooks easily (I use it to make protein pancakes/waffles sometimes!).
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    I happen to love Body Fortress, which you can buy at Walmart or Amazon. Good taste, low calories, sugar and carbs, and very inexpensive. I do the subscribe and save and get 2 lbs for under $12.
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress is great!!!
  • Amisha136
    Amisha136 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sun Warrior! It's the only vegan brand that doesn't taste chalky
  • VixPal1
    VixPal1 Posts: 14
    Options
    Since I follow a vegan diet, I've found that the Plant Fusion protein powders are great.
    21 g Protein
    120 Calories
    4 carbs

Thank you! I will try this!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I'm a Body Fortress person...I mix mine with Silk or even yogurt. The chocolate peanut butter is yummy!
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    21 g Protein
    120 Calories
    4 carbs

I use PlantFusion too-super easy on the stomach and the 2 lb tub is only about $30 on amazon.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I never meet my protein intake through food alone so I was hoping to get a protein shake that would help supplement my workout, promote recovery, and isn't filled with crap but proteins my body can use! Does anybody have suggestions?

I've looked at quite a few before settling on my poison of choice.

Optimum Nutrition Whey is great, as is the Casein.

I settled on that brand specifically because of a few reasons, short form though, their product formulation and flavor works best for me. I would suggest you try a few though. I tried pea, soy, and even a few different types of whey before finding the product I like. The soy produced cramps all over my body, the pea was heavily laxative for me, and the lower quality wheys caused flatus. None of those is acceptable to me.

I also only mix with water, so there's nothing else but just the whey, it's efficient both time wise and flavor wise.

ETA - bodybuilding.com's shop will save you a boat load of money no supplements.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

I don't have a specific brand to suggest, as I live outside the US, but look for whey isolate protein if you want a protein powder without all the extra unnecessary stuff. Protein is about 4 calories per gram, so I was told that any protein powder with more than 4.5 calories per gram of protein has a lot unnecessary things in it (whey isolate usually has about 4.3-4.4 calories per gram of protein). I have seen some whey protein powders in the US with up to 6 calories per gram of protein, which means you're getting 2 calories of extra "stuff" for every 4-calorie gram of protein. It sometimes costs a little bit more, but if you want to minimize the extras, go with whey isolate.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan, but I am spending the extra on Vega One, as it has no soy derivatives of any kind (most whey powders have soy lecithin). Plus, the price means that it is something I keep in reserve, when I need a portable meal.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use the whey protein shakes from Holland and Barretts - Ive got them in Strawberry & Vanilla

Last night, I made a shake

Scoop of whey
    Little bit of milk
    Water
    4 x tablespoons of oats

Mixed it together - A lot of people add peanut butter to there's too!!

Mine would have been a lot nicer with crushed ice

I am going to start making smoothies & veggie shakes too : )
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I also use a vegan protein powder called Love and Peas. It's 20g of protein and 180 calories, and it tastes AMAZING. I blend it with some peanutbutter, a banana, and almond milk and it is fabulous. You can read all of the ingredients on the back and prononounce them, and the best part is there is NO soy!
  • dbmata
    Options
    I also use a vegan protein powder called Love and Peas. It's 20g of protein and 180 calories, and it tastes AMAZING. I blend it with some peanutbutter, a banana, and almond milk and it is fabulous. You can read all of the ingredients on the back and prononounce them, and the best part is there is NO soy!

This is something I look out for when I get a protein powder.
    20g of protein and 180 calories. So it's 80 calories of protein, 100 of "filler" or 44% of the caloric content is protein. I would view this one as less a protein supp, and more of a meal replacement.

Optimum nutrition Whey is:
    24g of protein and 120 calories, or 80% of the caloric content is protein.

That's a quick way to determine amount of unneeded filler.
  • VixPal1
    Options

20g of protein and 180 calories. So it's 80 calories of protein, 100 of "filler" or 44% of the caloric content is protein. I would view this one as less a protein supp, and more of a meal replacement.

This is a helpful description! Thank you!!
  • vick441
    vick441 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Herbalife - Personalized Protein Powder - 20g of protein total of 80 cal
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

This is a helpful description! Thank you!!

Again, it depends on your priorities: optimum nutrition has soy by products. I am not fear mongering on soy, I just personally have to avoid it to a large degree.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I use ON gold standard extrememe milk chocolate. Tastes like yoohoo when mixed with water.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Again, it depends on your priorities: optimum nutrition has soy by products. I am not fear mongering on soy, I just personally have to avoid it to a large degree.

Soy lecithin isn't a byproduct, it's an emulsifier made from soy. I did pull this related to soy lecithin:
    http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/soy_allergies/hic_soy_allergy.aspx

FTA: "Studies have shown that most people with soy allergy can safely eat foods containing soy lecithin and soybean oil."

I'm extremely soy sensitive, I have no problems with soy lecithin, or tofu for that matter. Soy itself like those delicious edamame... no go. Muscle cramps all over my body within 20 minutes or so.

For people who are sensitive, the presence of soy may be an issue, even in the small amounts present in products such as this.
  • VixPal1
    Options
    Plant Fusion or Optimum Nutrition? I can't decide. I like putting protein powder in my food. Anybody tried that with these?