Insanity Workout

Options
I recently started Insanity for the third time. It is the first time doing it since my knee surgery and I am having a little trouble staying motivated with weakness in my leg. Anybody else doing the workout and want to start a group or pair up for support and make sure that we keep going and finish all 9 weeks?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i've had 2 knee surgeries and i've done insanity in full twice, and done parts of it on several occasions. love it. but it is NOT NOT NOT a way to rehab a bad knee. been there, done that, and it ain't worth it.
  • rsumps
    rsumps Posts: 1
    Options
    how many calories is an insanity workout worth?
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

I've seen figures of anywhere between 400-700 calories, but these are just rough guesses.
    Invest in a good HRM and then you'll have an even better idea.

I will say that I have never completed an Insanity workout without completely soaking my t-shirt and feeling wobbly in the legs.
    It is intense and it will burn the **** out of you.

I would gladly join if I wasn't already doing a different workout, plus I'm the kind of person who gets bored too easy doing only one workout for an extended duration of time.......even the 60 days that Insanity asks for.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

I've seen figures of anywhere between 400-700 calories, but these are just rough guesses.

I will say that I have never completed an Insanity workout without completely soaking my t-shirt and feeling wobbly in the legs.

I would gladly join if I wasn't already doing a different workout, plus I'm the kind of person who gets bored too easy doing only one workout for an extended duration of time.......even the 60 days that Insanity asks for.

^^ basically true. I get between 280-750 or so depending on which workout it is to be honest and how much I put into it.

But OP if you just had knee surgery you might want to find another exercise to do to finish healing. It will get harder on your knee the further you get into the program.
  • rossboss2013
    Options

^^ basically true. I get between 280-750 or so depending on which workout it is to be honest and how much I put into it.

But OP if you just had knee surgery you might want to find another exercise to do to finish healing. It will get harder on your knee the further you get into the program.

I had the surgery in January and went through full rehab so I am not using Insanity as my rehab technique. It's just not 100% yet. If I start to see swelling or increased pain I will definitely stop but for now (just started week 2) all that happens is slight pain while I'm working out.

As far as calories go, I push myself pretty hard and burn about 700 calories per workout for the first 4 weeks and then 1000-1100 calories for the max interval workouts in the last 4 weeks.
  • jillybaby86
    jillybaby86 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just started day 1 yesterday!!! If you get a group together let me know! :)
  • samantha4fitness
    Options
    Hi There,

I am just completing my eighth week of insanity and completely disappointed with it because I haven't seen hardly any results. I must have done some thing wrong because I have worked out six times a week every day and got nothing to show for it except a few extra pounds can you believe that I am totally gutted!!!!!. But I am willing to try it all over again and see if it works the second time round because so many people get results from it.

WHAT YOU THINK!!!
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start the third workout tonight. I can already tell I'm going to love this program, as I haven't been this sore since I did squat training seriously.

I have bad knees also and I was pretty unsure of this program, from what I've heard. I learned a lot about knee pressure and posture when I started running a lot and squatting, which has helped tremendously. It will be tough on your knees, just keep it in mind during the workout and lighten up where needed.

@Samantha. Did you improve in your fit test? Even though you gained some weight, do you think you're more toned at all or did you take any measurements? What diet did you follow? I've read a couple of complaints that it didn't drop weight in people who were already relatively fit, as it just reduced fat and improved muscle. Maybe if you try it again take body fat readings and measurements if you didn't last time. Just because the scaled didn't drop doesn't mean you aren't healthier.
  • rossboss2013
    Options
    Believe it or not if you push yourself too hard during insanity you will see less results. Some important things to remember about insanity and fitness in general:

1) Insanity is interval training. What that means is you want your heart rate to shoot up very high during the workout period and then come down quickly during the rest period. If your heart rate doesn't drop low enough DO NOT start the next set until it does. For me, I shoot up to about 180 bpm during cardio and I don't start again until I am below 120 bpm. Interval training is the perfect combination of aerobic and anaerobic exercise and without letting your heart rate come down you aren't getting that blend.

2) Any workout is only good if you have the correct eating habits to go with it. Not only is what you eat important but when you eat is also just as important or more important. Foods like fruit and whole grains do have a lot of nutritional value but they are still very high in sugars. These are sugars that the body can easily metabolize and will not be stored as fat. However, if you eat them too late at night, your digestive system will shut down when you go to bed and any sugars from these foods will be stored as fats. So while you think that you are eating something healthy when you eat an apple or yogurt, if you eat them too late it can be bad for you.

3) Timing of workout is essential. I know it is difficult with a busy schedule but the earlier in the day you can workout, the better the results will be. Not only does exercise burn off calories while you are active, but it also jump starts your metabolism for the rest of the day. It can also help release hormones that turn off your hunger and desire to eat. So it is a win-win. If you work out early, you will burn the same amount of calories during exercise, but you will constantly be at a higher metabolic rate throughout the day. To keep your metabolism up, make sure to eat something small every 2-3 hours. Also, it is beneficial to do your intense workout in the morning and a light workout later in the day. This is as simple as a 10-15 minute walk or jog, depending on your fitness level and fatigue. This will help get rid of the lactic acid built up in your muscles as well as keep your metabolism going.

Samantha, I would try going through it again. You definitely don't want to start right away though. Do a different type of exercise to train your muscles differently. Doing the same thing for too long reduces the effectiveness of the workout. Try biking or swimming if you can for cardio activities.

Hope this helps!!
  • drycreekmom
    Options
    I am in the second week of month 2. This is my first time doing Insanity. I love it! I have been diligent at doing all 6 workouts each week. I am not dropping pounds as I don't have any to drop. I am using it for toning and fighting gravity. ;-) I am not seeing the changes I had hoped for but we took before pictures so we will compare when I am done. Maybe the camera will see something I am not seeing. I also hope to hook up with someone, soon, who will monitor my fat content. I think since I don't have much fat to get rid of I will have to have someone take a reading and follow it to see that I am improving even though I may not be able to "see" it.
  • hei792
    hei792 Posts: 2
    Options
    sorry to sound silly but what is this insanity work out? where would i find it? my boy friend and i are both looking for for new workout routines and i was wondering if this may be suitable? thankyou!
  • Anusia2985
    Anusia2985 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I thought it is only me who can't see any results. I am on week 6 now and I lost only 2lb. I have just read rossboss2013's post looks like I need to change few things.
  • Anusia2985
    Anusia2985 Posts: 2
    Options
    sorry to sound silly but what is this insanity work out? where would i find it? my boy friend and i are both looking for for new workout routines and i was wondering if this may be suitable? thankyou!

The Insanity workout is the hardest workout ever put on DVD. It is interval training.
    You can buy it on Beachbody's page.
  • presidentori
    presidentori Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hope I'm not too late on replies, but I just started Insanity as well and am on Day 4. :) Tomorrow will be Day 5. I had my first knee surgery in late December of 2012 (5 months ago). Just did the Cardio Recovery and feel a lot better, but tomorrow is Pure Cardio and that makes me a bit nervous! I'm still keeping in mind that this program can be hard on the joints. Now I am also telling myself that I don't have to keep up with the people in the program as they've done this before and I haven't. The videos even remind you to go at your own pace. I'm going to watch out for this left knee, both knees actually! Trying my best to keep up with my calorie intake as well, and always trying to better my diet. Good luck to you all! :) Really great advice in this thread!

Feel free to friend me! I'm prepared to be motivated as well as motivate others along with me! :heart: