Advice on my current regime

Options
Hi all

29 - Male - 16st / 224 lbs

I never really had a problem with my weight until i was diagnosed with T1 Diabetes 3 years ago. Since then i've been getting heavier and heavier.

I've set myself a goal of 13st / 182lbs but no strict time limit although I'm off abroad in late September so would love to go away without having to suck in my stomach ;)

I've set my calorie limit to 1540 a day.

Exercise - I am unfit and currently giving up cigarettes. I have started running. At least 30 minutes a day for at least 4-5 days a week. I try to do interval training where im running for 1 60 seconds and then walking at pace for 60 seconds. This generally burns 200-300 calories per session.

What do people think? is this a good start? Diet wise i am having good and poor days but obviously this will take a bit of getting used to.

Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Replies

• looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    wow sounds like you have made a lot of changes, having type 1 diabetes I would recommend you consult your dr, and maybe have him send you to a nutritionalist to get a diet plan that works for you, I think things are a bit trickier for people who are on insulin
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I am a short, old female and I lose plenty eating what you are planning on eating.

A already mentioned, due to your medical condition, you should see a dietician who specializes in diabetes.
  • MikeySmith36
    MikeySmith36 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm 6ft 1"

I have spoken with a dietician and have a diet plan so it's just a case of getting used to it. Due to the type 1 it's the carbs i really need to cut down on although I can't go without any at all which makes things a bit trickier.
  • tdelo7634
    tdelo7634 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was 180 pds, at 5ft, 7in, and lost 40 pounds on 1800 calories, burning three to 500 hundred a day 6 days a week over about 5 months. 1540 is like my BMR. Why are your calories set so low?
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Try for small changes in your diet (like start eating double servings of healthy vegetables and half your normal starch at a meal) and, since you are also quitting smoking (congratulations on that, been there and still get the odd craving 20 years or more since my last cigarette), have a plan for how you are going to handle the critical first two weeks without resorting to substituting (bad) food for cigarette/nicotine cravings.
  • MikeySmith36
    Options
    Hi Tdelo, thanks for your experience. I think the reason it's set so low is that when i used the app I put 2lbs a week on as my weight loss target.
  • MikeySmith36
    Options
    All,shebe, thanks, I've given up a few times before and managed to get through the first few weeks successfully, i have always slipped back into it though, so i'm hoping with a healthier more active lifestyle, then the tempatation won't be as great this time!
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Just keep thinking about something nice you could get for yourself (like a new wardrobe once you lose the weight, or a cool electronic toy) with the money you aren't spending on cigarettes.