How do you calculate correctly for a homemade marinade?

Options
I am having a hard time with getting the correct calculations for a marinade. It is showing it as if I have eaten all of the ingredients when I don't. Can anyone help? Thank you!!

Replies

• DwightJenkins
    DwightJenkins Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time with getting the correct calculations for a marinade. It is showing it as if I have eaten all of the ingredients when I don't. Can anyone help? Thank you!!
    If you are saying you use a cup of marinade on a chicken for example, and then most of it stays in the bowl, I'd measure what's left and then just enter the difference. So if you start with a cup, and end up with 6 oz, just enter 2oz. I hope that makes sense and helps.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I use this website for nutrition info and it let's you put in how many servings to figure it correctly.

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Have you tried using the recipe calculator on here? Just put in all the ingredients and how many it feeds, and it will show you how many calories it has per serving.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I dont log marinades :laugh:
  • melhasscents
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful tips. I will try and see what I can come up with.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I calculate for the oil I use in a marinade. I will add about a teaspoon for calories.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The big thing in a marinade is usually the oil. And I find that you can often eliminate the oil!

Most marinades are a combination of flavor ingredients (herbs, spices, salt, etc.), an acid (soy sauce, vinegar, wine), and oil. I follow the recipe for the flavorings and the acid, and then replace all or part of the oil with water. That way I get all the flavor and none of the fat and calories. It works really well.
  • cbmom2013
    cbmom2013 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Never thought out doing this! Thanks for the great idea!!
  • cbmom2013
    cbmom2013 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ya know, I think you might be on to something. I've counted and not counted and did not see one little difference (only when pertaining to marinades). Thank you for kinda "justifying" this so I don't have a bunch of second thoughts everytime I eliminate the marinade from my calorie count. Seriously, most of the marinade stayed in the container with just a little actually getting into the meat I suppose. I may just round up my calories for the meat to the nearest 10 and call it a day. THANKS!!!